Women body shape and weightloss

I was wondering if different body shapes loose weight differently. Ive got the typical hourglass shape im all bum thights and tits.
Since beginning my journey
Start weight 125.8kg (277lb)
Current weight 96.2kg (212lb)
Goal weight 70kg (154lb)
Im only 5ft3 and im finding it difficult to go down lower than what i am now. Is there specific workouts i should be doing for my body shape? Just confused and frustrated.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    With regards to your weight loss struggle how many calories are you eating on average per day and are you weighing and measuring your food and beverages? What exercise are you currently doing?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I was wondering if different body shapes loose weight differently. Ive got the typical hourglass shape im all bum thights and tits.
    Goal weight 70kg (154lb)
    Im only 5ft3 and im finding it difficult to go down lower than what i am now. Is there specific workouts i should be doing for my body shape? Just confused and frustrated.

you just need to ensure you're in a deficit to lose weight. do you weigh everything you eat with scales?

there's no particular exercise you should be doing. its recommended that you do some cardio and some strength/resistance training for good health and retaining muscle while you lose weight, but most importantly is finding something sustainable that you enjoy.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm your body shape. As long as I'm in a deficit I lose. I workout the same as millions of other people, male and female.

If you aren't losing, you're eating too much is the long and short of it.

As above, are you weighing all solids and semi-solids and measuring liquids?
    Are you checking entries are accurate (the database is largely user generated and therefore full of wrong information).
    Are you creating your own recipes?
    Do you exercise and if so how do you measure calorie burns and how much of those calories are you eating back? When did you last see movement on the scale?
    Have you reconfirmed your goals in the app as this needs to be done to lower your calorie goal in line with your losses?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals and then be patient.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    You might want to recalculate your calorie goals based on your new weight. Whenever you hit a plateau it's a good idea to do this since you have lost weight and a lighter person burns fewer calories.

No specific exercises but strength training is very helpful for preserving muscle & optimizing fat loss- but having your calories right and consistently hitting your calorie goal is the most important thing (don't over or under eat your calories, just try to hit your calorie goal exactly every day).

Do try to get all your protein every day- this is very important for weight loss.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    cmacphee3 wrote: »
    I think that what someone thinks is their bodyshape when they are obese is probably not what they actually will look like at a healthy weight.

Maybe that is true of some people, but as someone who has gone from morbid obesity down to normal weight (and back up, on my way back down) my body shape actually stayed pretty constant, just smaller. The only difference might have been a slightly more defined waist, but my boobs stayed small for my size, my lower stomach stayed large for my size, and my legs and waist and arms all stayed average for my size at every weight. Have I ever been super skinny? No, but I was well within "healthy" weight class and my body size changed dramatically, but my body shape did not.

From morbidly obese to normal weight and your waist was only slightly more defined?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Recalculate your calorie goals for your current weight
    Double check entries you are using from the database (there is a lot of inaccurate stuff in there and now that you are lighter those errors can play an impact on whether or not you are losing)
    Are you using a food scale? If not, consider buying one. It's more accurate and less clean up than using measuring cups. Even " single " serve packaged items can often contain more than a single serving.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I think that what someone thinks is their bodyshape when they are obese is probably not what they actually will look like at a healthy weight.

Maybe that is true of some people, but as someone who has gone from morbid obesity down to normal weight (and back up, on my way back down) my body shape actually stayed pretty constant, just smaller. The only difference might have been a slightly more defined waist, but my boobs stayed small for my size, my lower stomach stayed large for my size, and my legs and waist and arms all stayed average for my size at every weight. Have I ever been super skinny? No, but I was well within "healthy" weight class and my body size changed dramatically, but my body shape did not.

Yep me too. Shape is the same, just bigger or smaller. I'm 5'6" and as an adult I've been 130 lbs. and I've been 220 lbs. I'm a "pear" and there is always about a 10 inch difference between my waist and my hips regardless of weight.
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Yep me too. Shape is the same, just bigger or smaller. I'm 5'6" and as an adult I've been 130 lbs. and I've been 220 lbs. I'm a "pear" and there is always about a 10 inch difference between my waist and my hips regardless of weight.

Another plus one. My body sounds just like the first poster and when I lost weight my shape stayed the same only smaller. I plan on using exercise towards the end of my journey this time to try and get rid of the tummy! I was so disappointed with results last time and I don't think I even realised what a difference there was (I see it now in photos).

• VintageFeline

Another plus one. My body sounds just like the first poster and when I lost weight my shape stayed the same only smaller. I plan on using exercise towards the end of my journey this time to try and get rid of the tummy! I was so disappointed with results last time and I don't think I even realised what a difference there was (I see it now in photos).

Don't wait to exercise! More specifically resistance train. If you start now your results will be a lot better by the end.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Don't wait to exercise! More specifically resistance train. If you start now your results will be a lot better by the end.

Yes! My tushy is high, round, and kind of cute for its size! Thank you squats and deadlifts. and I still have about 20ish pounds to lose.

I wanted to add that I was not complaining about my shape. I actually love it. And I love it more and more as I get down to a healthier weight.
  • VintageFeline

Yes! My tushy is high, round, and kind of cute for its size! Thank you squats and deadlifts. and I still have about 20ish pounds to lose.

I wanted to add that I was not complaining about my shape. I actually love it. And I love it more and more as I get down to a healthier weight.

This is me too. When I started and lost the first 15lbs or so my butt lifted about 6 inches! I had to change my measuring point for my hips because my bum had moved so much.

And now that I'm 20-30lbs from goal and starting to see cellulite significantly improve, my backside is starting to look amaze. All hail lifting heavy (for me) things!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    • What macros are you following?
    • What is your daily caloric intake?
    • Are you eating your calories back from exercise?

In additional to weighing your food, restricting calories, you may find that following a low carb/sugar and high protein/fat diet helps you to lose inches all over your body.

Ref: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4258944/

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    Goal weight 70kg (154lb)

I am also an hourglass ... and I lose weight in a calorie deficit. But I (and you possibly, and lots of other people) have to keep recalculating that deficit. What works at a heavier weight doesn't at a lower weight. I also find I've got to tighten up my logging.

And ... the lighter I am the more inclined I am to be generally active. That helps. :)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Not to my knowledge. I'm also an hourglass and following the calorie deficit along with consistent exercise does the trick.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Goal weight 70kg (154lb)
    Im only 5ft3 and im finding it difficult to go down lower than what i am now. Just confused and frustrated.

Just wanted to comment on your progress. First of all CONGRATULATIONS on an amazing loss! 65 pounds! Way to go. I don't know how long you have been dieting but I hit a snag at around 65 pounds and a year of dieting. If you are SURE you are eating at a deficit, you may need to take a break. I plateaued for 3.5 months and was so frustrated. I knew I needed to lose more weight and nothing was working. I was weighing and measuring most things. I admit not absolutely everything. For whatever reason, taking a week off at maintenance calories got me moving again. Now all of you poised to hit the woo button, I know it makes no sense. There is no science to back it up. I was just desperate enough to be willing to try it. For me it worked. There is definately danger here. You need to be ready to get back on track. If you can't do that then this may not be a good idea for you. I should probably have taken two weeks but was so paranoid I would gain back the weight that I only did one. A couple of notes here... I had 30 pounds to go, I am 60 years old and when I came off my break I couldn't face 1200 calories a day anymore and went to 1350 which slowed my loss rate to .5 a week. I am now 8 pounds from goal. If you are ready to slow things down or if you are confident you can get right back on track consider taking a VERY SHORT break. This only if you are not losing and are sure you are in a deficit.