Divorced Hangout

Replies

• Mrmiller0422
    Mrmiller0422 Posts: 91 Member
    marriage is a beautiful thing honestly. everybody should do it at least twice.

I am doing it twice
  • L0veM3
    L0veM3 Posts: 63 Member
    I have been divorced for 10 years and it was the. Eat thing that could have happened to me. Guess I'm happily divorced :):D
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Divorce is not a death sentence. It's another chapter. Best decision I have ever made. Doesn't mean it was easy but it was worth it.

I second this. I am less sad about the divorce than I am the number of years I lost hoping things would change but never did.
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    I'm 55yrs old and have no intention of hanging it up.
    My problem is that I really don't know how to go out and do things by myself.
    I lived with my Ex from 17 to 50 and worked for him.
    I neglected to make friends while married and now have none to go out with.
    I've eaten by myself in a restaurant 2 times in my entire life.
    I'm not ready to only be a grandma.
    I never understand why so many people think after 50 it's over and just give up the desire to have a meaningful love life.
    I won't marry again but need companionship and fun,
    50 ain't old people!!!!!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    GymRatSF wrote: »
    Divorce is not a death sentence. It's another chapter. Best decision I have ever made. Doesn't mean it was easy but it was worth it.

I second this. I am less sad about the divorce than I am the number of years I lost hoping things would change but never did.

I got a great kid in exchange for the years of less than ideal marriage. And after four years, the sting of the divorce is done.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    still going through the dreadful process of eliminating his azz! they say its "cheaper to keep her" mehh,, we have been expensively married for 10 years!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    @maeld51 dont give up the ship. There are ways to meet people even if you don't have anyone to go with. Check out meetup.com and find some groups with similar interests. Go to a few meetup events. Volunteer at a local animal shelter, or food kitchen or something. Hammer nails at habitat for humanity. Take night classes at your local college. You will find that the people that organize these activities are very welcoming to new people.

@newmeadow has a rather bleak outlook on dating at our age, and I don't agree with it. While it may be true, you don't have to settle for less just to have companionship and friends.
  • maeld51
    @newmeadow

Thanks for listing all of my possible options, even if they seemed sarcastic and purposefully grim.

I "put out" before I was married and I've "put out" since I've been divorced.
    He doesn't fit into any of your categories.

I already had my knight in shining amour,
    I married him.
    Not looking for another.

I keep going back and reading your post and it makes me wonder why you did not list one single positive comment.
    I'm sorry if you've experienced any of your examples.

I like men.
    I think there are many more options than you mentioned.

My advice to myself and anyone else who cares to hear it is, never give up if that is what you want.

50 ain't old people!!!!
  • maeld51
    @klkarlen

Thank you for your positive suggestions!
    Lots of good ones. :)
  • Awb1309
    Awb1309 Posts: 23 Member
    Married in 2004 and Divorced in 2010. I got two beautiful children from her and that's all I am thankful for. They are my world.
  • maeld51
    @newmeadow
    Thanks for explaining your reasoning.
    I never mentioned Dr Laura Schlesinger,
    I don't even know who she is.

I think maybe my standards aren't quite as high as yours.
    For instance, a pot belly is not reason enough for me to dismiss a man.

Like I said, I'm not looking for a husband and will not marry again.

Thanks for your advice though.
  • Zee_0100
    Zee_0100 Posts: 397 Member
    dimasj wrote: »
    Survived one... was married for 10 years we were together for 17 in total... once child and fortunately we were able to agree on most things so kept us out of court and way from multiple lawyer visits.

Dont worry im here now
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    maeld51 wrote: »
    @newmeadow

Thanks for listing all of my possible options, even if they seemed sarcastic and purposefully grim.

I "put out" before I was married and I've "put out" since I've been divorced.
    He doesn't fit into any of your categories.

I already had my knight in shining amour,
    I married him.
    Not looking for another.

I keep going back and reading your post and it makes me wonder why you did not list one single positive comment.
    I'm sorry if you've experienced any of your examples.

I like men.
    I think there are many more options than you mentioned.

My advice to myself and anyone else who cares to hear it is, never give up if that is what you want.

50 ain't old people!!!!

It actually wasn't sarcastic or purposefully grim. I don't personally put out before marriage, because I've done that, it was a mistake and I'm not doing it anymore.

But were I offered a marriage proposal I would absolutely consider a man from options 8, 4, 3 and 2 if I he had courted me for a minimum of one year, accepted the terms of no sex before marriage and proved himself to be a person who was trustworthy and principled and intellectually on par with me.

I added options 5, 6 and 7 because I understand most women aren't as socially conservative as I am. Here in Chit Chat these options are bragged about and flouted by a lot of women who thinks it's great and celebrate it. Hence, there are options for everyone.

I added option 1 because some 50+ year old women are gorgeous and fit and appear quite young. Your profile photo shows blond hair, pleasant bone structure and unlined eyes so you may well fit into this category. But it's hard to tell without a complete photo. You choose to keep it private and it's none of my business.

Of course it's possible that you or I or any of us in the same age bracket will meet a 50+ year old man who with no potbelly, who's looking for a 50+ year old woman, who isn't financially supporting his grown sons and daughters plus his grandchildren, who's gainfully employed or comfortably retired, who doesn't get drunk or have a history of getting high, who will treat you like gold, who isn't bitter and hardened, who will still be virile and sexually competent, has no health issues and will always call when he says he will and doesn't have a mentally imbalanced ex who sends scary texts and slashes tires.

But the odds for such a win aren't good and we aren't getting any younger. Hence the options. And I don't think it's a question of positivity versus negativity. Just values and we all have different ones. I'm more on par with Dr. Laura Schlesinger take on the matter. You mentioned her so I thought you were on the same page. Apparently not, so nevermind.

Heck I was fitting the bill until you mentioned the mentally imbalanced ex. :smiley:
  • Charlotte318
    Charlotte318 Posts: 37 Member
    Well not divorced yet but I am afraid it is coming to that. Married 7 years together for 12. My husband does not seem to want to open up to me and when things get really bad he seems to run elsewhere. I want my family but I don't know if it's fixable as he always refuses counseling and is now shutting me out altogether. Many of you have been through terrible situations and I feel for you. I think my fear is starting over :(
  • Ipedalforpleasure
    Ipedalforpleasure Posts: 22 Member
    Was married 29 years, been divorced for 4...ready to step out and see what life has to offer again.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    GymRatSF wrote: »

Same for me. I was just reading my old journal and noticed a pattern in my entries-years and years of nothing changing. I broke the news in July, we finished mediation yesterday and meet with the lawyer Monday. It should be over by January. I am very glad I finally did this, as scary as it is. (it's amicable. We're actually still very close friends. Just not a couple. And other stuff. But I won't get into that now ).
  • Charlotte318
    Charlotte318 Posts: 37 Member
    Well not divorced yet but I am afraid it is coming to that. Married 7 years together for 12. My husband does not seem to want to open up to me and when things get really bad he seems to run elsewhere. I want my family but I don't know if it's fixable as he always refuses counseling and is now shutting me out altogether. Many of you have been through terrible situations and I feel for you. I think my fear is starting over :(

Change is always scary and hard. But just because something is hard doesnt mean it is bad. Overcome your fear and take care of you and your family, what ever that looks like.

I know it has pretty much come to this. Just taking things one day at a time for now, mostly because I have three girls who are pretty close to their father, something I would never take away.
  • amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Was married 29 years, been divorced for 4...ready to step out and see what life has to offer again.

Good for you! Best of luck!