Is it bad to take in more Protein than fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Use the values below for the recommended ranges;

Protein = 0.8-1.2g/lb (lean body mass)
    Fat = 0.4g/lbs (lean body mass)
    Carbs = remainder

Weight loss is caused by a caloric deficit. Adequate protein is muscle sparing. Adequate fats are for hormonal health.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Currently my split goes as follows:

Carbs: 50%
    Fat: 20%
    Protein: 30%

Calorie limit: 1900

Will this facilitate healthy weight loss given I eat the right foods and hit my calorie goals?

That's about 42 grams of fat per day, which is not much. What is your weight?

I weigh 279lbs currently

That is way too little fat. Multiply the top "healthy weight" for your height by .4 and use that as your fat goal in grams. So if the top weight is 175, it would be 70 grams per day, for example. Dietary fat is important for hormone function and to aid in vitamin absorption. It's not a macro to whack down to poverty levels.

Only thing is, if I weighed 175lbs I would be literally skin and bone. My ideal healthy weight is 235lbs. I'm not 279lbs of fluff. I got a lot of muscle that been covered up over thepast 5 years.

I did not say your top healthy weight is 175. I used that number as an example. If 235 is goal, your fat would be 94 grams, which is an even bigger increase from your current settings.

How tall are you? Have you trained to build muscle in the past? That is a high ideal weight for most people. It would be unusual to see a 22 yo with the kind of muscle base to support that as a lean weight. Even if your goal was 15% bf, the LBM you'd have would be 200 lbs. Lower bf would mean LBM would be even higher.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Will this facilitate healthy weight loss given I eat the right foods and hit my calorie goals?

I weigh 279lbs currently

That is way too little fat. Multiply the top "healthy weight" for your height by .4 and use that as your fat goal in grams. So if the top weight is 175, it would be 70 grams per day, for example. Dietary fat is important for hormone function and to aid in vitamin absorption. It's not a macro to whack down to poverty levels.

Only thing is, if I weighed 175lbs I would be literally skin and bone. My ideal healthy weight is 235lbs. I'm not 279lbs of fluff. I got a lot of muscle that been covered up over thepast 5 years.

Three years ago I was heavier than you and (Power lifter in the 1400 lb club) now weigh 178 look at my pictures Hardly skin and Bones you are going to lose a lot of Muscle and Fat its all part of the game. Big bulky muscles carry a lot of Fat when you lean out and drop body fat your muscles lose size due to fat loss.

qe8i8jdwdfng.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I weigh 279lbs currently

How are you determining your muscle mass? There are very few people I know at 235 that are leaned out.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Tonyrebuilt Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I weigh 279lbs currently

I did not say your top healthy weight is 175. I used that number as an example. If 235 is goal, your fat would be 94 grams, which is an even bigger increase from your current settings.

How tall are you? Have you trained to build muscle in the past? That is a high ideal weight for most people. It would be unusual to see a 22 yo with the kind of muscle base to support that as a lean weight. Even if your goal was 15% bf, the LBM you'd have would be 200 lbs. Lower bf would mean LBM would be even higher.

6'2" I used to play college football. I went from weightlifting 3 times a day to not having done a push up in 4 years. I'm not necessarily trying to get a six pack and be totally ripped. Even when I could see my abs a little bit I was about 225lbs.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I weigh 279lbs currently

How are you determining your muscle mass? There are very few people I know at 235 that are leaned out.

I'm not saying I was leaned out, but that was a very natural weight for me to maintain with regular exercise and eating relatively poorly. I could have definitely have shed some more fat. I just felt good at that weight is all
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options

I weigh 279lbs currently

Three years ago I was heavier than you and (Power lifter in the 1400 lb club) now weigh 178 look at my pictures Hardly skin and Bones you are going to lose a lot of Muscle and Fat its all part of the game. Big bulky muscles carry a lot of Fat when you lean out and drop body fat your muscles lose size due to fat loss.

qe8i8jdwdfng.jpg

You are right, I just haven't been under 200lbs since the 7th grade. It's just hard to picture myself at that weight.