Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.

I get this issue with walking in the dark..

I actually do run or walk in the pitch dark in the a.m. and it is scary.. I am looking forward to my 5:30 a.m. walks being more like it is at day break at 6:30 a.m. We have some street lights out in the neighborhood as well not helpful.. Good luck! :)

Yeah...but you do it :-). Just because I'm curious is it a "I might trip" kind of scary or a "someone may be lurking in the shadows" kind of scary?

But why does it matter...

It is freaking scary to walk in the dark in my home let alone on the silent dark streets in my neighborhood which I will eventually travel a couple of miles from door step and alone.

eta I do it and don't like it all..
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The maths isn't quite right somewhere... if 1200 cals is 2lbs loss, then 1lb should be 1700? Or don't you have much to lose?

OP has 20lbs to lose. I think 1200 was as low as MFP would go, and it still wouldn't produce the 2lb/loss.

I think she needs to re-do her goal for a safer rate of loss to prevent the starving feeling.

Edited to add: I see she HAS redone her goal. Just ate a lot of calories already. That's what I get for skimming.

OP, maybe try different combos of foods to see what keeps you fuller for longer that are within your calorie goal? If you DO end up having to eat at maintenance today, that's okay. It's just one day.

I re-did my goals and it is now giving me 1450 calories per day for a 1 lb per week weight loss.

Your goal seems reasonable I'd say. Just stick with it. If you undereat one day you can overeat the next just try to keep the average around 1450 a day. If you find you are still hungry with that and you don't want to go to only 0.5 pounds loss per week then you'll need to consider exercising. Walking an hour a day will give you another 100-200 or so calories to eat a day most likely which can help. I get your uncomfortable walking in the dark but I'm guessing your also uncomfortable feeling hungry and uncomfortable with very slow weight loss so pick your discomfort basically.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I do think initially you will be hungry. When you get like that turn to fruits and vegetables first. Then if you are still hungry and stomach is growling have another healthy choice food. Even if you would hit 1500 call or so with the extra foods, as long as they are healthy, "clean" foods I think you will still see a loss. It is very hard to stay the course if you feel starving and don't have options. Choosing clean foods gives you eating options!

-greek yogurts
    -popcorn (plain or light)
    -roasted chick peas (salty snack)
    -almonds
    -shrimp cocktail or other lean protein
    -any fruit or vegetable

How much are you hoping to lose?

healthy clean foods can also cause you to gain weight(if you eat over your maintenance calories), its not about what you eat its about how much you eat. as long as she is at her caloric goal she should lose weight,sure healthier is better and often lower calorie,but all that is needed for most people to lose is a caloric deficit.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is that I waited the hunger out and I'm not starving anymore. Before I would have shoveled my face with food at the sign of the first hunger pang.

I will resume walking once the time changes in a couple of week. It will be daylight earlier. Until then, I am trying to find the time to squeeze something in somewhere. Even if I don't get to go everyday.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.

I actually do run or walk in the pitch dark in the a.m. and it is scary.. I am looking forward to my 5:30 a.m. walks being more like it is at day break at 6:30 a.m. We have some street lights out in the neighborhood as well not helpful.. Good luck! :)

Yeah...but you do it :-). Just because I'm curious is it a "I might trip" kind of scary or a "someone may be lurking in the shadows" kind of scary?

It is freaking scary to walk in the dark in my home let alone on the silent dark streets in my neighborhood which I will eventually travel a couple of miles from door step and alone.

It doesn't matter I just don't get it and was curious thats all. I prefer the dark, its quieter...kind of serene less cars and other nonesense in the way, less likely you'll be stuck on a corner waiting for traffic etc. Usually go at night though not the morning, like heck I'm getting up at 5:30am. Thats what scares me...mornings.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is that I waited the hunger out and I'm not starving anymore. Before I would have shoveled my face with food at the sign of the first hunger pang.

I will resume walking once the time changes in a couple of week. It will be daylight earlier. Until then, I am trying to find the time to squeeze something in somewhere. Even if I don't get to go everyday.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

I walk at lunchtime 15-30 minutes; if the weather is inclement, I walk inside my office and/or building. There is a device that you can find on Amazon, like a little mini cycle that you can put under your desk. Basically, you just have to move, stand at your desk and walk back and forth if you're on the phone....if you get a device like a fitbit it will help you figure out how much more movement you need for the day.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in to say you could try some walk at home videos - they have some at my library and many on You Tube. Try Leslie Sansone. They come in many different lengths - some with weights, some without. That is what I have been doing since it is too dark in the mornings!
  • todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I run at 5:20 AM and I find it to be peaceful and relaxing.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You just started MFP.

2 lbs. per week is *aggressive*. It's the highest weight loss that is recommended safely. You're just starting out. You're trying to run before you learn how to walk.

Adjust your goals to 1 lb. per week maybe? And also, really go over your food choices. What kind of flatbread was it?

High Glycemic carbs can spike your blood sugar.

I get mad hungry when cutting calories. It's taken me a long time to figure out that I need low GI carbs throughout the day, with a mix of protein and fat, to keep my hunger at bay. Insulin is your friend and your enemy... You have to keep that guy working for you, not against you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I was wondering about that...if I could use up left over calories from the day before...you know like roll over points lol :)

Sure. I usually think of my overall deficit for the week.

Are you exercising? That also may be a reason to add more calories on some days. [Edit: oh, I saw you answered this -- that actually could be part of it, as getting in movement and sunlight can make you less hungry and for me more darkness tends to make everything harder. If at all possible, try moving around when you feel hungry -- taking a quick walk if it's possible or just getting up and dancing around (I don't know where you are) -- could actually help!)

Other than that, it might just be an adjustment period. I found myself wanting to eat at times I was used to eating at first, but after a week or two it mostly went away. If it weren't for the low day the day before I'd say ignore it or try just eating some low cal vegetables and otherwise sticking to the plan, but I do think it might be because of the day before.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

It doesn't matter I just don't get it and was curious thats all. I prefer the dark, its quieter...kind of serene less cars and other nonesense in the way, less likely you'll be stuck on a corner waiting for traffic etc. Usually go at night though not the morning, like heck I'm getting up at 5:30am. Thats what scares me...mornings.

With all due respect, you're a guy. If you get mugged/attacked on your pre-dawn walk, no one is going to ask you why you were walking around in the dark alone.

There a lot of 5:30am muggings in your neighborhood? Look I don't want to get mugged either, but I also don't want to get struck by lightning. Its a matter of what is likely to happen and what is not. But yeah if you are afraid of the dark don't need to go out into it I suppose, just if thats the only time you have available to exercise might question if that is a rational fear or not is all I am saying.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

The darkness itself is not scary, the world in which we live in is.

There is something about clarity from a morning run or walk.. i do love that and my day is officially started off right after my a.m. run (or walk days) ..

Call me crazy but I don't think muggers really target people in workout clothes at 5:30 in the morning who probably don't even have a wallet on them.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

With all due respect, you're a guy. If you get mugged/attacked on your pre-dawn walk, no one is going to ask you why you were walking around in the dark alone.

Why would that make any difference?

Generally the concern over being out after dark, I would presume, is whether or not you're likely to be attacked, not whether someone (not the investigating police officers) is going to ask you stupid questions in the aftermath.

FWIW, I run in the dark all the time. On my route, the main concerns are tripping over bits of uneven pavement that you don't see, or getting bit by potentially poisonous snakes that you mistake for dead in the dark (run over by bicyclists) and you get within striking distance. Much farther down on the list are the human predators.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

The darkness itself is not scary, the world in which we live in is.

There is something about clarity from a morning run or walk.. i do love that and my day is officially started off right after my a.m. run (or walk days) ..

Call me crazy but I don't think muggers really target people in workout clothes at 5:30 in the morning who probably don't even have a wallet on them.

Its really not muggers..And I guess I could give you a very personal story that has happened to me, this is not the time or place..

Ah. I should probably just drop it, not trying to rile anyone. I don't have to understand, but I do need to respect others so I feel no need to press. Apologies if I offended.