I'm Starving!!!

Options
Ok so I just started MFP this week and I have been doing a great job in keeping within my daily goals. Initially, MFP put me a t 1200 calories per day for a 2 lb. per week loss, but after talking with some of you and not wanting to set myself for failure or binge eating which I am prone to, I dropped it down to 1 lb per week and 1450 calories per day.

Today I am starving!!!!

I had a turkey wrap with cheese on flatout bread this morning along with my morning coffee. High in protein and some fat which is what is supposed to help with the hunger. Every other day I have been fine. Not starving like this!

Did I restrict too much? I only ate about 1250 calories yesterday which were all mostly before dinner.

Any thought? Advice?

Replies

• kathyrunsfast
    kathyrunsfast Posts: 7,083 Member
    Options
    I do think initially you will be hungry. When you get like that turn to fruits and vegetables first. Then if you are still hungry and stomach is growling have another healthy choice food. Even if you would hit 1500 call or so with the extra foods, as long as they are healthy, "clean" foods I think you will still see a loss. It is very hard to stay the course if you feel starving and don't have options. Choosing clean foods gives you eating options!

-greek yogurts
    -popcorn (plain or light)
    -roasted chick peas (salty snack)
    -almonds
    -shrimp cocktail or other lean protein
    -any fruit or vegetable

How much are you hoping to lose?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Most often that is a sign of eating too low for too many days. Good that you adjusted your goal to something more sustainable & higher probability of success. What are your stats (ht, wt, age, activity setting) and exercise? How are you handling exercise calories?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Eat at your goal as much as you can, don't go under, then see how you feel. If you aren't doing what you set out to do its hard to evaluate if that plan will work for you or not.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about that...if I could use up left over calories from the day before...you know like roll over points lol :)

Yes you can do this and even it out at the end of the week.. You made a wise choice in changing the rate of loss especially if binging can be an issue.. You got this! :)
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.

Hate to pry but is there a reason you are afraid of the dark or is it just an irrational uneasiness. I ask because sometimes one should do thing for their health even when they are "uncomfortable". Excercise isn't really about comfort anyways :-)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have hungry days. I usually give into them, but there's a reason I have been trying to lose the same 10lbs forever....
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

Thanks. Scooby gives you 1950 maintenance calories, so that agrees with MFP's 1450 for 1lb/week. Don't stress about walking. It will give you a few more calories, but not a game-changing amount. Just do it when you can and enjoy the fresh air. Agree with Aaron that it's hard to know how a plan is working if you don't do the plan for a few weeks. Don't eat under, and yes, carry-over calories are great! It's the weekly average that matters.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The maths isn't quite right somewhere... if 1200 cals is 2lbs loss, then 1lb should be 1700? Or don't you have much to lose?
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    It's not that I am afraid of the dark per say...it's more of an irrational uneasiness. That and I have a very over protective man and already get crap for walking alone. Walking in the dark would be a no no.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I get this issue with walking in the dark..

I actually do run or walk in the pitch dark in the a.m. and it is scary.. I am looking forward to my 5:30 a.m. walks being more like it is at day break at 6:30 a.m. We have some street lights out in the neighborhood as well not helpful.. Good luck! :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Some discomfort is expected, but you can add in foods that are bulky but low in calories to help. Raw Veggies, etc. Next time you have that wrap either eat some raw veggies beside it or on it along with everything else. It won't add a lot of calories and it'll add some bulk. I now have baked cauliflower with salt+pepper and a little olive oil several times a week as a side dish to help bulk up my meal. It helps quite a bit. Sometimes we also bake mini carrots the same way. Just go easy on the oil it can add a lot of calories quick. If you can eat stuff like that raw it's more beneficial but I'm not much on raw cauliflower or raw carrots.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The maths isn't quite right somewhere... if 1200 cals is 2lbs loss, then 1lb should be 1700? Or don't you have much to lose?

OP has 20lbs to lose. I think 1200 was as low as MFP would go, and it still wouldn't produce the 2lb/loss.

I think she needs to re-do her goal for a safer rate of loss to prevent the starving feeling.

Edited to add: I see she HAS redone her goal. Just ate a lot of calories already. That's what I get for skimming.

OP, maybe try different combos of foods to see what keeps you fuller for longer that are within your calorie goal? If you DO end up having to eat at maintenance today, that's okay. It's just one day.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options

The math isn't right because MFP refuses to go below 1200 so if you ask it for a weight loss that would go below 1200 (in terms of the math) it just spits back 1200.

Edit: I see samantha already answered that one.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I get this issue with walking in the dark..

I actually do run or walk in the pitch dark in the a.m. and it is scary.. I am looking forward to my 5:30 a.m. walks being more like it is at day break at 6:30 a.m. We have some street lights out in the neighborhood as well not helpful.. Good luck! :)

Yeah...but you do it :-). Just because I'm curious is it a "I might trip" kind of scary or a "someone may be lurking in the shadows" kind of scary?
  • kschwab0203
    Options

OP has 20lbs to lose. I think 1200 was as low as MFP would go, and it still wouldn't produce the 2lb/loss.

I think she needs to re-do her goal for a safer rate of loss to prevent the starving feeling.

Edited to add: I see she HAS redone her goal. Just ate a lot of calories already. That's what I get for skimming.

OP, maybe try different combos of foods to see what keeps you fuller for longer that are within your calorie goal? If you DO end up having to eat at maintenance today, that's okay. It's just one day.

I re-did my goals and it is now giving me 1450 calories per day for a 1 lb per week weight loss.