Poor eating choices resulting in solid but not great week #SELFCHECK

Options
No matter how many times I walk it all equals to nothing If I can't control the food intake.All week long I've eaten after 8 pm which is not good sign.Add insult to injury it's usually a very heavy sodium meal.Right now I just got done from stuffing my face of clearly bad sodium food.Now I gotta walk for an 1 hour and 30 minutes before I can lay down.At this point I'm doing dis service to myself by eating high sodium and processed meals.If I just cut back on half of what I eaten this past week.I would've been having a great week nutrition n exercise wise. .

This is a #SELFCHECK and reminder not to over eat and think you can bail out your heavy sodium meals with late night walking around house for x amount of time.I must get back to balance and nutrition meals and making sure I eat no greasy food and no later then 6 pm like I done the first 3 weeks of this journey.

Replies

• Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why is eating after 8 pm bad? or eating at night time, in general.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want to over eat or eat what you consider a 'bad meal', try eating it in front of a mirror in just your undies. Just the thought of doing this makes me think of how I'll feel and look and it usually stops me in my tracks. On another note though, weight loss is a long process and your habits were not developed over night, healthy habits will not come over night either. Keep picking yourself backup when you fall off track and just keep pushing. You can do this :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why is eating after 8 pm bad? or eating at night time, in general.

It isn't, as long as you stay within your daily calorie target. If a person stops snacking at night but shifts the calories earlier it won't help them lose weight.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Because I'm super notorious for eating and then laying in bed or falling to sleep after words like sumo wrestler.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Because I'm super notorious for eating and then laying in bed or falling to sleep after words like sumo wrestler.

I ate dinner at 8 last night. Unless eating late causes issues while you sleep (heartburn, acid reflux), there's nothing wrong with it. Those calories don't automatically turn into fat.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I work graveyard, sometimes I come home, eat a snack, get ready for bed and crash out. ..as long as you are in a deficit, time doesn't matter
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I eat right before I go to bed every night. Usually a bowl of hot cereal and cocoa. It really helps me sleep. I cannot go to bed hungry.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Yep, I gotta agree with you there, OP. No amount of walking can undo excessive eating if I really go to town with it. I think everyone can spontaneously, without much thought or even awareness, consume an extra 500 kcal that were unplanned. But who spontaneously, without trying or planning, burns 500kcal? Give yourself a little more credit, OP. Small changes, done consistently, will make a big difference in the long run. You are on a good path and just your awareness is a significant change right there.

Do you have a medical reason to limit sodium, OP? Sodium isn't inherently harmful in the absence of particular medical conditions. E.g. a cardiologist I saw many years ago told me to eat more sodium (vagal syncope, low blood pressure). As a commenter above said, a high sodium meal will cause water retention, but that by itself isn't harmful either.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with those who have said that eating right before bed makes no difference when it comes to weight loss. I often eat and sleep and am losing weight.

Have you been over your calories? If yes, by how much and how many times this week?

Weight loss is all about calories. I eat chocolate and ice cream daily but make sure to log it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    I usually walk before dinner. It is only a problem eating right before bed if you have trouble with reflux or I'd it interferes with your sleep. As long as you ate in a deficit them timing of meals doesn't matter.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    JustMe602 wrote: »

I work graveyard, sometimes I come home, eat a snack, get ready for bed and crash out. ..as long as you are in a deficit, time doesn't matter

Overall, you're right that it doesn't matter. I will say that for me though, if I don't give myself a set of rules to follow I break down easily. This may be what the OP means. I set a rule that I don't eat after 8:00 PM as well, but not because it's bad for my health. I do it because I tend to snack after I put the kids down for bed. It's easy to justify having a snack or two when the house is calm, laundry is done, dishes are clean, and you're sitting there watching TV. I can blow my entire calorie deficit apart in a few short hours so I set a time restriction. It's just to help me mentally keep my focus.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are many nights I get home after 10:00 pm and then start preparing dinner. I don't finish eating until around 12 AM and then I go to bed. Timing is nothing. Calorie deficit is everything.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    JustMe602 wrote: »

Overall, you're right that it doesn't matter. I will say that for me though, if I don't give myself a set of rules to follow I break down easily. This may be what the OP means. I set a rule that I don't eat after 8:00 PM as well, but not because it's bad for my health. I do it because I tend to snack after I put the kids down for bed. It's easy to justify having a snack or two when the house is calm, laundry is done, dishes are clean, and you're sitting there watching TV. I can blow my entire calorie deficit apart in a few short hours so I set a time restriction. It's just to help me mentally keep my focus.

That's a very good reason, with me, my snack is pre planned in. I know that throughout the night, I'm usually too busy to eat a lot, so I have something planned before I go to sleep, so when I wake up I'm not ravenous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I remember a few of your past posts, OP, and think you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. It's all about progress and being aware of what leads to us overeating or not sticking with a plan, so even when you aren't perfect (and who's perfect?), make it a learning experience. So long as you are getting in the walking and sticking to the calorie goal, that's fabulous.
    All week long I've eaten after 8 pm which is not good sign.

Does this make it hard to control the calorie intake? Are you going over? If so, might it help to plan for a little something later than what your current dinner is? Unless it affects sleep or makes you feel bad, there's no problem with eating later vs. earlier if the calories are the same. I work late and sometimes workout after work, so often get home after 8 (sometimes after 9), so I almost always eat dinner at 9 or 10. I did this while losing all my weight too (95 lbs) and it was fine. In fact, since I ate late, I didn't ever think about snacking afterwards.
    it's usually a very heavy sodium meal.

There may be health reasons to cut down on the sodium, but for weight loss all that happens is water weight. That can be unmotivating, but if you know what's going on, don't let it bother you, and the important thing is that it doesn't actually hurt fat loss, so just stay calm and stick the to plan!
    If I just cut back on half of what I eaten this past week.I would've been having a great week nutrition n exercise wise.

If you are struggling with overeating just remember that it's a big change and so long as you are making progress, that's great -- again, don't beat yourself up for not being perfect.

One thing that helped me was thinking about each day at the end of the day or the next morning and if I'd gone off plan figuring out why -- often it was things like not having the foods I wanted to eat available that I could plan for next time.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Just a few questions

a) are you meeting your calorie goal? I seem to recall you saying that you were trying to come in under it which is not at all necessary.
    b) I know you're on a low sodium diet for medical reasons, so that IS important. what are the salty foods you are having trouble with? Maybe there are some healthy substitutions that could be made...maybe spend an afternoon in the supermarket checking out lower sodium foods that are still convenient and tasty, like roasted seaweed instead of chips or low sodium peanut butter or salsa (don't judge, it's actually delicious!)
    c) are you running out of calories before the day is over? Then the answer might be having a slightly smaller breakfast and lunch and saving a few hundred calories for night time and plan it...I always have a skinnycow frozen truffle bar for 100 calories after dinner/before bed.

All the best and stop being so hard on yourself, it's a long process with a big learning curve...at least you have started.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and I will apply all the information into a form of action. To answer some people's questions September 30th I was hospitalized due to chest pain and inflammation build up gas in chest also. Since then I've controlled my inflammation and working on lowering my sodium intake due to high blood pressure . I was 455 as of september 30th .i don't have a scale so I haven't weighed myself since then. I have been under every calorie goal before and after I adjusted the goals . My food diary is public and 100% accurate .I can gurantee you this is a lifetime change not a thirst for temp. success . The salty food s that I have trouble with our bread and chips . If it's not a home cooked meal you can best believe I will be eating a sandwich and chips or processed meat along with fries or tater tots. An sadly when I eat these meals I overload on the sides. It's clearly like I can't find a middle ground either I grub heavy one part of the day or starve myself throughout the day usually out of fear of the worst.

One thing I can agree is a perfect day would be to burn 1,000 plus calories and have less then 1,800 sodium level and have around 1,500 food calories consumed.That would be the perfect day and best of me nutrition and exercise wise
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and I will apply all the information into a form of action. To answer some people's questions September 30th I was hospitalized due to chest pain and inflammation build up gas in chest also. Since then I've controlled my inflammation and working on lowering my sodium intake due to high blood pressure . I was 455 as of september 30th .i don't have a scale so I haven't weighed myself since then. I have been under every calorie goal before and after I adjusted the goals . My food diary is public and 100% accurate .I can gurantee you this is a lifetime change not a thirst for temp. success . The salty food s that I have trouble with our bread and chips . If it's not a home cooked meal you can best believe I will be eating a sandwich and chips or processed meat along with fries or tater tots. An sadly when I eat these meals I overload on the sides. It's clearly like I can't find a middle ground either I grub heavy one part of the day or starve myself throughout the day usually out of fear of the worst.

One thing I can agree is a perfect day would be to burn 1,000 plus calories and have less then 1,800 sodium level and have around 1,500 food calories consumed.That would be the perfect day and best of me nutrition and exercise wise

Why are you trying to net only 500kcal? That is not healthy nor sustainable.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    @daniip_la My goal is too eventually eating under 2,000 calories daily and burn more then 1,000 calories a day .. How is that not healthy or sustainable? I'm only asking because I'm trying to be informed