October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am SUPER close to saying the heck with it, making the next 7 months one long training camp, and switching my June HM registration to the full.....

Go for it!! That's plenty time to train for a full and you can add another half before that.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Very happy today is a rest day. After yesterday's 8 miler and hike through the woods pushing a stroller (Trail was not really a trail) I'm pretty tired. Back at it again tomorrow.......and so close to just making the switch to the full....just waiting for my wife's opinion since it's on our 10th anniversary
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    11/10 3 miles
    12/10 3 miles
    13/10 3 miles- 3rd run of week and my ankle doesn't feel too bad!
    19/10 3 miles - thought it was going to be 4 miles as I was feeling great but the sun came out and started beating down on me and I crumbled, my legs felt fine but my heartrate rocketed and I overheated so I just did the 3. I've told myself I'd be better to do 3 - 4 days at 3 miles instead of pushing the 4. I started out too fast anyway, but I was feeling the best in ages. A well.
    21/10 3 miles
    22/10 3 miles
    23/10 3 miles - best week I've had since early June!

exercise.png

@KatieJane83 and @9voice9 - well done on your races.
    @MNLittleFinn - I think you should go for the marathon, it's always in your mind and you will not be satisfied training for the half so I say "Go for it!"
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It seems to always be an update behind. I ran 8km this morning so I am now at 30 km with 40 to go

Another 5.5 this morning for a total of 35.5 with 34.5 to go!!

I ran 5.5 on Thursday and another 8 yesterday! Total of 49 with 21 to go!!

Ran 5.5 today. Total of 54.5 with 16.5 to go!
    BTW..it should be 15.5 to go not 16.5

Another 5.5 today. Total of 60 with 10 to go!! :)

Well ran my first ever 10km...pretty stoked about that. So I have officially reached my goal!! I did it in an hour and 29 seconds!!! :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift that's awesome. You racked up some amazing mileage this year, and it ain't done yet!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October goal: 50 miles
    10/1: 1.75 miles
    10/2: 3.15 miles
    10/3: 2.25 miles
    10/4: 2 miles
    10/5: 2 miles
    10/6: Rest Day
    10/7: 2 miles
    10/8: 2.25 miles
    10/9: 3.15 miles
    10/10: 2.25 miles
    10/11: 2.25 miles
    10/12: 2.5 miles
    10/13: 2 miles
    10/14: Rest Day
    10/15: 4.19 miles (2.25 + 1.9) <<<
    10/16: 2.25 miles
    10/17: 2.25 miles
    10/18: 2.5 miles
    10/19: 2.25 miles
    10/20: 2.25 miles
    10/21: 3.15 miles
    10/22: 1 mile
    10/23: 5 miles

Total/October: 52.35 miles

GOAL! So I decided to try for a longer run today and Fergus and I went 5 miles. This is the longest distance that I have run in one shot since I started up again a couple of months ago. I started out slow and easy and just kept on running. Had a little bit of soreness in my right knee about 2.5 miles in, but I kept going and it worked itself out into mile 3. I was feeling good the rest of the way. I am pretty confident that I could run a 10K right now. I'd be slow, but I could do it. Prior to this the longest distance I've ever run was 7 miles when I was training for a half marathon in 2010. (I ended up doing the half but alternating walking/running so I only ran for half of it.) So, right now, I am pretty stoked. By the end of November, I would like to be at 3 miles per day with weekly long runs of at least 5 miles. I am thinking a 75 mile goal is pretty do-able for November.

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks! It is easy for me to stay pretty consistent when I have a good habit. It is why I don't take a lot of days off. Even on days that I don't run, I usually still bike and walk. I am trying to build a very strong running habit so that if I so end up having to take a few days off for some reason (illness, injury, life, etc) I don't completely fall apart. At the same time, I am a little worried that I will push too far and end up with an injury, but so far I feel good and have had few problems. Congrats to you on the new PR!

@mom3over40 What a lovely sunset! Thanks for sharing.

@HonuNui Thanks for sharing the Moray picture. Do you dive also? I adore the ocean but can't dive due to an inner ear issue.

@Joanna2012B Congrats on your first 10K!

@MNLittleFinn Good for you on switching to the full!

@greenolivetree How are those knees today? Better, I hope.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lissadecker congrats on making your goal!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Had a long week with lots of changes in plans and difficulty getting my runs in so I missed at least one run, however I felt good this morning running a 5 miler for the first time. I still think I'll be ready for my 10K next month so maybe the extra day of rest actually helped?

10/01 – Rest Day
    10/02 – 3.6 mile horse trail run with dog – AVG HR 143, High 159 on hills
    10/03 – Rest Day
    10/04 – 2.1 mile horse trail run with dog – testing out the new Garmin
    10/05 – 3.31 miles horse trail run with dog – looks like Garmin is about 7-8 bbm higher than my Polar
    10/06 – 95 min strength training
    10/07 – 3.6 miles horse trail run with the dog – AVG HR 146
    10/08 – Rest Day
    10/09 – 4.52 miles at the park – longest run yet – AVG HR 147
    10/10 – Another Rest Day……ugggghhhh
    10/11 – 3.1 miles horse trail run – Fastest 5K yet – AVG HR 147
    10/12 – 3.1 miles horse trail run plus a 3 mile walk this morning
    10/13 – 4 mile walk along the river trail
    10/14 – 95 min strength training
    10/15 – Spent the day at the Aquarium of the Pacific………..lots of walking
    10/16 – 4.6 mile horse trail run – AVG HR 143 but I did run one very steep hill and it got up to 160
    10/17 – 100 min strength training
    10/18 – 3.1 mile horse trail run – One big hill – AVG HR 136 a nice recovery zone for me I guess
    10/19 – Rest Day
    10/20 – Another Rest Day……….uggghhhh
    10/21 – 3.1 mile park run after an 80 minute strength training session, trying to make up for the extra rest day
    10/22 – Worst week ever for rest days and changes in plans………..uggghh
    10/23 – 5 mile trail run – Even though I didn’t add up the miles this week I still managed my longest run and fastest 5K within that 5 miles. I’m ecstatic and surprised.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @luluinca an extra rest day can definitely help. Glad your 5 miler went well today
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that's awesome about Skip! She's turning into one AMAZING runner or, rather, she already is. You're doing awesome helping and encouraging her progress!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yea! SKIP! That girl rocks!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! Wow, this thread sure does get a lot of posts. Not sure if I'll be able to keep up, but I'll try.

@MobyCarp I haven't been here long enough to hear what's plaguing you, but I hope it improves for you soon. Good luck in your training!
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congrats on a new PR!
    @greenolivetree Hope the knee feels better so you can get back out there soon!
    @MNLittleFinn What a great anniversary/Father's Day gift!
    @Joanna2012B Congrats on your first 10k!
    @kristinegift Congrats on an awesome 20-miler and hitting your 2016 goal so early!

--
    10/3: 6 miles
    10/4: 3 miles
    10/9: 26.2 miles -- Chicago Marathon
    10/13: 3 miles
    10/15: 3 miles
    10/18: 3 miles
    10/20: 4 miles
    10/22: 3 miles
    10/23: 6 miles

I'm pulling my miles way back after the marathon to focus on pace (both speed and consistency), so this weekend's "long" run was 6 miles. My minimum goal was to run under 61 minutes, but I was really shooting for under 60. I'm also aiming to have a more consistent overall pace because I tend to gun it a little bit the first few miles and then my pace drastically drops off the following miles. I also am hoping to reduce the amount I walk (usually once every few miles) with a more consistent pace because I hopefully won't be tiring as easily after a few miles. Well, I surpassed my goal finishing in 59:34 but I did end up walking for about 30 seconds halfway. My first few miles were a little too fast and I was tiring faster than I would have liked, so I walked at that point to gain some energy back and eliminate a longer walk break later. Overall, my splits ended up being between 9:45-9:54 (other than the 10:27 split the mile I walked) with my fastest split the last mile. Not too bad and I'm pretty happy surpassing my goal, but I'm still going to work on pace consistency and hopefully less/no walking will come with that.

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Staying with relatives so just a quick check in. I will be a better thread participant next week! No hip pain today, woo hoo!

October Running Challenge

2nd - 13.19 miles
    5th - 3.01 miles
    6th - 3.14 miles
    8th - 3.05 miles
    9th - 5.22 miles
    11th - 3.11 miles
    13th - 5.24 miles
    15th - 3.5 miles
    16th - 2.79 miles
    18th - 3.35 miles
    20th - 3.56 miles
    22nd - 5.32 miles
    23rd - 5.20 miles

MTD - 61.68/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon - DNS
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @louubelle16 I'm glad your hip is feeling better today!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn thanks for the encouragement. I feel like such a slouch compared to most of you but I guess as long as I keep adding distance I'll be okay. Trying not to punish my body too much in the process as I don't have time for injuries anymore.....LOL

BTW, I think it's great you switched to the Marathon, I'm sure you'll be ready and it sounds like perfect timing to me!

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 Great Job on the race on a new course that you had never seen.
    So we finally got to see a picture without the crazy Halloween make-up. Headless Horseman was a nice touch.
    The irony is one of our local Rough Wilderness Bush Trails is called Sleepy Hollow (of Ichabod Crane) and now is the best time to run it - trees have dropped their leaves and the grass has died back for the winter.

I see that you have Bay of Fundy Half Marathon – 6/25/17 on your list. Is that the one where they run across the Canada/USA Border? I am trying to talk some of my running club members to make the trip east and join in with me. Also hoping to find a HM/FM a week later in Ottawa around Canada Day. What a better way to celebrate our 150th Year than in our National Capitol on Canada Day.

Hahaha! Hey, I think you guys saw me before, when I posted my September HM pics, lolz.

And yup, that's the one! My aunt and uncle live in Whiting, Maine (near Lubec) so I'll stay by them. Thought it would be cool to run a race that I need a passport to complete, lol. Hope you find a cool race in Ottawa, sounds like an awesome plan!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn thanks for the encouragement. I feel like such a slouch compared to most of you but I guess as long as I keep adding distance I'll be okay. Trying not to punish my body too much in the process as I don't have time for injuries anymore.....LOL

BTW, I think it's great you switched to the Marathon, I'm sure you'll be ready and it sounds like perfect timing to me!

You got the right idea, little bits at a time, and you'll be running the big miles before you know it, if that's what you want.

I still can't believe I decided to run a full. I left a voicmail for the race director, so hopefully I'll be actually registered for the full by mid week.

Oh, this is the race I'll be running: http://grandmasmarathon.com/our-races/grandmas-marathon/

It's a pretty big event weekend, so I'm looking forward to it!