Can i lose 40 lbs in 4months?

Options
I am in my 33 years old and i am 5"2 and i am 188 lbs right now. I am lossing wight but is very slow and i would like to speed it up. I have loset 11lbs in 7 months. Any help may help me

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. 11 pounds in seven months averages to about 1.5 per month, or about .4 pounds a week loss.

I do not recommend trying to lose 40 pounds in 4 months, which would come out to about 2 something pounds a week. Besides, 40 pounds is not that much.

What did you set your goals to lose? If you are losing it slower than you anticipated, you might be eating a little more than you realize. Do you weigh your solid food and measure your liquids? Log everything you eat?

Do you exercise and count those calories? Eat any of them back? If so, where do you get your numbers from?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The max you can probably lose 8 pounds a month, and that's with a deep deficit and very good adherence. So 40 in 4 months is probably not doable. You could lose faster than your current rate though which is an average of 1.5 lbs a month.

Personally I think you should try for 1 pound a week (4 pounds a month) at the most and see how you do. I can understand wanting to lose faster than you are now, but trying to lose too fast doesn't work well either.

She's lost 11 pounds in 7 months. That's not 1.5 pounds per week. Where did you come up with that number?
  • 2048Bit
    2048Bit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, she said she wanted to lose 40 not that it's all she had to lose. Either way, my particular scenario is based on the fact that I have no medical issues. If one has no such considerations, such as blood sugar, etc. then there's no reason you can't go one a low calorie diet and be completely healthy doing it. Even at 800-1000 calories I consume more food than a lot of people do (by volume) they just happen to be much healthier foods.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Let's get real....I am not trying to start an argument, but.....you have only lost 11 pounds in 7 months. Why haven't you lost the weight already?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    40 pounds in 4 months is only a reasonable goal if you have 100+ pounds to lose. Otherwise, it's too aggressive. Try aiming for 20 pounds in 4 months - which is about 1 pound/week. That's a reasonable rate of loss for someone of your size.

To speed up your loss to that rate, make sure you are logging accurately. Are you logging *everything*? (including cream in coffee, drinks with calories, condiments, cooking oil, etc.) Are you weighing all solid food?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How have you lost 11lbs in 7 months?

Weigh and log your food accurately
    Move more
    Do this consistently over time

Set yourself whatever target you like ...but really 1% bodyweight per week is a healthy and sustainable guideline ...
  • 2048Bit
    2048Bit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    2048Bit wrote: »
    In all fairness, she said she wanted to lose 40 not that it's all she had to lose. Either way, my particular scenario is based on the fact that I have no medical issues. If one has no such considerations, such as blood sugar, etc. then there's no reason you can't go one a low calorie diet and be completely healthy doing it. Even at 800-1000 calories I consume more food than a lot of people do (by volume) they just happen to be much healthier foods.

You are a guy, who is no longer morbidly obese, and your doctor is supporting you to eat 800-1000 calories per day while working out? Sounds like a recipe to lose a lot of muscle mass. Sorry, my initial response to you was based on the assumption that you were the woman in your pic. Honestly, terrible advice for the OP, really terrible advice for yourself.

Ah, you must be a physician who specializes in nutrition and weight loss, because my doctor is... The great part about this is that people are able to read various responses, hopefully educate themselves and make their own decisions. I can tell you this, when I do it consistently it works 100% of the time. I'm no longer morbidly obese, but I'm still overweight. This obviously wouldn't be ideal for someone whose at a healthy weight, but anyone that's overweight could certainly afford to skip a few extra calories.
  • josietherealist
    josietherealist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Consider getting a personal trainer to help you factor in your macros. That's considerably important and with that it'll total out how many calories you can ingest. This app is great for that. Like those have mentioned above, keep track of your foods you eat, log em, scale/weigh out your foods. Serving sizes on packages are very crucial. I am on the heavier side and have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. That's with dieting and exercise. Again, as noted above more body weight will be easier to lose faster. Be healthy in the way you go about losing weight