Can i lose 40 lbs in 4months?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Also we're coming up on Christmas, do you really want to have to maintain a crazy deficit when all the world is full of goodies? I certainly wouldn't.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about your numbers. Your sedentary TDEE might be around 1800 or so. You want to lose about 2.3lb a week. Given that you need about a 3500 calorie deficit for each pound, that would be 8050 a week, or 1150 a day. So, if sedentary, you'd be eating about 650 calories a day to lose at that rate. And that's to start with. As your TDEE dropped, you'd have to drop the calories to lose at the same rate. By the time you'd lost the 40lb, your sedentary TDEE would be closer to 1600 than 1800 and so your daily calories would be 450. To me, that's getting into the realms of a crash diet that should be medically supervised.

I think there are ways to lose weight a bit more quickly (low carb seems to drop some weight quickly initially), but 40 pounds in four months does seem ambitious for somebody with your stats. Well done on the 11 pound lost, and good luck with the rest!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    oneteddy wrote: »
    So every one know i would like to do the 40lbs but i would be very happy with 20lbs lose too. I have been married for 12 year and have 3 kids and me and my husband are going on our first trip alown together end of February and i was hope to be as close to my goal as possible of 150lbs.
    Buy the way every one i do what to do this as healthy as possible.
    Thanks for everyone helps

How FUN that you'll be going on a trip with your hubby soon!

20 pounds is more doable, but you first need to find out were you inaccuracies in calories in/calories out are.

Did you consider the questions I asked in my initial response?
    What did you set your goals to lose? If you are losing it slower than you anticipated, you might be eating a little more than you realize. Do you weigh your solid food and measure your liquids? Log everything you eat?

Do you exercise and count those calories? Eat any of them back? If so, where do you get your numbers from?

It's important to find out where your inaccuracies are so that you can eat the amount of food for a quicker weight loss of 1 pound per week, or even a half pound a week. But, you need to be diligent in making sure your intake/output is accurate.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32lbs in 5 months. found it quite easy, summer time meant i could get outdoors and do a LOT of exercise. 8hrs a week on average riding a bike really helped. some days i was burning 4500 calories.
    Eat less than you use its really is that simple
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    At 47 weighed 270, 6'3 Doc said here's your pills, bad cholesterol hi BP. I was either gonna lose the weight or die trying. Had 4 egg whites in the morning, grilled chicken and spinach at lunch and dinner. Cut out sodas, just drank water. No salad dressing. Everyday I walked 3 miles, everyday I tried to go a little faster. By the fourth month I was running a mile in 7 minutes, 5k in 29 minutes. I lost 50 pounds in 4 months. Yes you can do it. I looked sickly though. All cholesterol levels were great, BP was great. All blood work was fine. Can it be done sure, but would you want to that fast? I'm at 250 now with a lot more muscle. Medically did I take an unsafe chance or guess that nothing bad would happen, yes.
  • Cocoa_Jean
    Cocoa_Jean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So, I am just going to throw this out there... went vegan 7 weeks ago, and I am down 22 pounds.. I have never felt better, skin is losing all traces of acne, I have exercised TWICE and I eat All....Day....Long.... I am happy and content, dont miss meat and dairy, and pretty sure I can lose another 20 by Christmas at LEAST...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's a LOT of middle ground between 11 lbs in 7 months and 40 lbs in 4 months.

First things first, I would suggest you tighten up your logging. Buy a food scale and weigh all of your solid food and measure all of your caloric liquids, as much as possible. (I know life happens). If you can, consider an activity tracker and sync it with MFP. (MFP is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to calories burnt through exercise).

If these things don't get better results, then consider upping your calorie deficit a little-not drastically.

Seconded
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am in my 33 years old and i am 5"2 and i am 188 lbs right now. I am lossing wight but is very slow and i would like to speed it up. I have loset 11lbs in 7 months. Any help may help me

Well, you've lost 11 pounds in 7 months so losing 40 in 4 seems unrealistic to me. Also 40 in 4 months is more than 2 pounds a week which is also unrealistic considering that you aren't morbidly obese.

Why 4 months out of curiosity, seems kind of arbitrary. If you are losing weight doing what you are doing then I'd say keep doing it. If you truly want to lose faster then either cut out a few more calories or add in some more activity/exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    So every one know i would like to do the 40lbs but i would be very happy with 20lbs lose too. I have been married for 12 year and have 3 kids and me and my husband are going on our first trip alown together end of February and i was hope to be as close to my goal as possible of 150lbs.
    Buy the way every one i do what to do this as healthy as possible.
    Thanks for everyone helps

You know what I'd do ...(married for 16 years, 2 kids and a dog ... ok the dog didn't affect my body :) )

Alongside eating at a defecit to lose weight

I'd join a gym and start a progressive heavy lifting programme..it will be hard, it will hurt (DOMS are virtually inescapable) but it will work muscles you didn't remember you have, it will balance your hormones, protect your bones from osteoporosis, make you feel strong and fierce and give you a spring in your step, what it will do to your body once you have reduced your body fat to the right level is help set back the clock, or even make it better (that's what they laughingly call tone)

Also new lingerie

Also no pressure that first trip out of town is important in that way ...just nice to reconnect ...too much pressure can stifle ...things

Great advice.

You've done well so far, OP. Keep it up and add lifting and you will see a really nice change in physique, even at a higher weight. It makes a great difference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You were morbidly obese and lost 10lbs a month over 10 months

So you have been eating at an 1100 calorie per day defecit

Don't know your stats but let's pretend you're a moderately active 200lb, 35 year old male at around 5'8 ...your TDEE would be around 3000 calories a day

You were not ingesting 800- 1000 cals and working out twice a day that would have put you in net negative and over 10 months you would have lost a damn sight more weight

This.

This is also true with some of those "VLCD is better" studies too -- the "better" rate at the VLCD suggests that the person lost LESS than I did at a normal, MFP-type deficit. So people were just not logging/tracking well or were "cheating" and eating more than the supposed deficit.

OP's issue is not 40 lbs in 4 months; it's that she's been losing far more slowly than necessary. I'd say focus on getting a consistent 1.5 lb per week for now, OP, and you won't end up caring about 40 lbs in 4 months. Plus, it's more likely to feel sustainable enough that you keep it up for 4 or 6 or 8 months or a year (to get to whatever the actual goal is) and that it's something you can transition to maintenance with!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd just get on track to lose 1lb a week, don't pressurise yourself by setting a specific goal for how much you'll lose by the trip, just get started. Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, they say - next best time is today.