Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are low-carb diets unhealthy? - Dr. T. Colin Campbell

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/essential-nutrient
    essential nutrient
    noun
    any substance that must be obtained from the diet because the body cannot make it in sufficient quantity to meet its needs

I understand what you are saying but I think you are still playing with words to make your point.

Yes we need somewhere between 40g and 150g of glucose per day depending on if you are fat adapted. And yes, you will run out of glucose within a couple of days depending on your situation after which point you would die. About the same length of time you could go without water, which is classified as an essential nutrient because you can't make it.

Can we just call glucose important instead? Like oxygen? A crucial substance? Essential nutrient's definition is taken.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    essential nutrient
    noun
    any substance that must be obtained from the diet because the body cannot make it in sufficient quantity to meet its needs

I understand what you are saying but I think you are still playing with words to make your point.

Yes we need somewhere between 40g and 150g of glucose per day depending on if you are fat adapted. And yes, you will run out of glucose within a couple of days depending on your situation after which point you would die. About the same length of time you could go without water, which is classified as an essential nutrient because you can't make it.

Can we just call glucose important instead? Like oxygen? A crucial substance? Essential nutrient's definition is taken.

He's not the one calling it an essential nutrient.

You are.

He's telling you why it's not.

Sorry I never got back to everyone yesterday, I had a wicked migraine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

Maybe you missed it, but @stevencloser is not trying to classify glucose as an essential nutrient. It doesn't matter that the definition is taken. It's irrelevant.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

I'm not sure which thread you are reading, but that is the opposite of what I'm seeing.

But if @stevencloser agrees that glucose is NOT an essential nutrient... something you and I understand differently it seems... then where is the disagreement?

I can clearly understand that @nvmomketo says glucose is NOT an essential nutrient because of the definition:
    any substance that must be obtained from the diet...

And because glucose does not need to come from diet, it fails to qualify as an essential nutrient.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

I'm not sure which thread you are reading, but that is the opposite of what I'm seeing.

But if @stevencloser agrees that glucose is NOT an essential nutrient... something you and I understand differently it seems... then where is the disagreement?

I can clearly understand that @nvmomketo says glucose is NOT an essential nutrient because of the definition:

And because glucose does not need to come from diet, it fails to qualify as an essential nutrient.

There are only about 11 essential macro nutrients: 2 EFAs and 9 essential amino acids plus some conditionally essentials. The human body is pretty good at making what it needs from other macros. Now micros are what we should really concentrate on.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

I'm explaining why it's not an essential nutrient to reject the idea that "not essential = unnecessary". Glucose is a vital nutrient, the most vital there is, and you can be glad your body has a pathway of creating it or you wouldn't be alive, or your parents or grandparents because we would've died out ages ago.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

The question is what that means.

As stevencloser pointed out, in this case it means that glucose is so important to the body that it can't leave it to diet alone, but must have a backup system. (Or, to put it more correctly, although still inexpertly, it was so important that there was such a disadvantage to not having the backup that we evolved to have it.)

ketomom, on the other hand, keeps trying to twist it so that it means that consuming glucose is somehow something that should be minimized, and that glucose is generally bad for us.

That is not what essential nutrient means and makes no sense.

The argument that because glucose is not an essential nutrient we should be on LCHF diets is absurd, since no one recommends a no fat or no protein diet and the amount of fat and protein that is actually needed from the diet is easy to get in pretty much any macro split anyone will consume, at least in a society with enough food, which is what we are talking about.

In a society with a famine or food shortage, of course one can die from malnutrition due to a lack of fat or protein sources, but -- again, as stevencloser pointed out -- it takes far longer than it would if our bodies could not make glucose as a backup. That glucose is so important to our bodies is NOT a good argument for the claim that carbs are unimportant or "toxic" or that keto is a more natural state or all the rest of the LCHF dogma.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just realized what this discussion reminds me of. When someone keeps repeating "but it's just a THEORY" in an effort to dismiss the evidence of evolution, and waving off when someone explains what "theory" means in scientific terms. "No, it's only a THEORY," so it can't be meaningful." Same here: "it's not ESSENTIAL, so clearly you should limit it and eat more fat and protein." That that has nothing to do with what essential actually means here, and does not logically follow? a handwave: "not essential, so not important, really, that's what essential means, right?" "Only a theory."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just realized what this discussion reminds me of. When someone keeps repeating "but it's just a THEORY" in an effort to dismiss the evidence of evolution, and waving off when someone explains what "theory" means in scientific terms. "No, it's only a THEORY," so it can't be meaningful." Same here: "it's not ESSENTIAL, so clearly you should limit it and eat more fat and protein." That that has nothing to do with what essential actually means here, and does not logically follow? a handwave: "not essential, so not important, really, that's what essential means, right?" "Only a theory."

I said I wasn't going to "awesome" your posts anymore, I failed miserably.
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

Sorry I never got back to everyone yesterday, I had a wicked migraine.

I must have mised that. I was under the impression that he was saying glucose is essential. I never said it was an essential nutrient. I'm the one saying that we don't need to eat it for good health.

Glucose / carbs are non-essential because you never have to eat it. The body makes it so there is no need to eat more. Just a preference to eat more.
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

As stevencloser pointed out, in this case it means that glucose is so important to the body that it can't leave it to diet alone, but must have a backup system. (Or, to put it more correctly, although still inexpertly, it was so important that there was such a disadvantage to not having the backup that we evolved to have it.)

ketomom, on the other hand, keeps trying to twist it so that it means that consuming glucose is somehow something that should be minimized, and that glucose is generally bad for us.

The argument that because glucose is not an essential nutrient we should be on LCHF diets is absurd, since no one recommends a no fat or no protein diet and the amount of fat and protein that is actually needed from the diet is easy to get in pretty much any macro split anyone will consume, at least in a society with enough food, which is what we are talking about.

In a society with a famine or food shortage, of course one can die from malnutrition due to a lack of fat or protein sources, but -- again, as stevencloser pointed out -- it takes far longer than it would if our bodies could not make glucose as a backup. That glucose is so important to our bodies is NOT a good argument for the claim that carbs are unimportant or "toxic" or that keto is a more natural state or all the rest of the LCHF dogma.

I'm twisting it? LOL No. I don't think so. There is only one definition of an essential nutrient. I'm using that term correctly. Something the body needs that you must consume to get.

The body needs glucose. Between 40-150g per day.... I think I said this already. Anyways. We make glucose. We don't need to eat it. Done.

We need oxygen. Does that mean we should seek out atmospheres of 40-60% oxygen instead of our lower oxygen atmosphere (what is it? 21%?). More isn't needed.

More glucose (from the diet) is also not needed. That is my point. You could use more glucose and eat more, but you don't need to.

And I never said because glucose is non-essential that we should all be LCHF. Nor did I EVER say "toxic". I don't think I am the one twisting anything here.

I said that we would die without our minimum glucose. It's true. Glucose is important. So is a large number of other chemicals in the body. But unless you are living without a functioning liver it really is a non issue. We make glucose. No one is going to die from lack of glucose. Even if you never eat a carby food.

I am just reiterating (over and over) that LCHF is safe and one of the reasons is because there is no minimum carb requirement. This thread is about LCHF safety, right? Well, low carbers don't need to worry about going too low and depriving their bodies of an essential nutrient because carbs are not essential. The body is designed to meet our glucose (because it is another important thing the body uses).
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

I'm explaining why it's not an essential nutrient to reject the idea that "not essential = unnecessary". Glucose is a vital nutrient, the most vital there is, and you can be glad your body has a pathway of creating it or you wouldn't be alive, or your parents or grandparents because we would've died out ages ago.

Vital works. We can work with vital.

So.... who said glucose was unnescessary? I missed that somewhere.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

So, to summarize:
    1. Glucose can come from carbs directly, or indirectly from protein and fat.
    2. We need glucose, but do not need carbs.
    3. Neither carbs nor glucose are considered essential nutrients, for different reasons.
    4. We must eat fat/protein if we don't eat any carbs at all.

Here's my addition:
    1. It is possible to have too much glucose. Our body has ways to handle that also (glycogen stores, fat stores, and in some cases: osmotic diuresis).
    2. Too much carb consumption in too short of a time period leads to the things mentioned in #1 for healthy individuals. Then, if carbs are not constantly being consumed (such as while sleeping), glucose is not automatically available. So then we start getting glucose from something... glycogen, protein/muscle, or fat is converted into glucose.
    3. The difference between SAD and LCHF is that the result of not eating carbs constantly to feed glucose as it is used (see #2) happens more often for those on LCHF than on SAD. Both experience the same effect, but fat adapted persons convert fat more efficiently.

So far, the answer to the initial question is: From what we know, low carb diets are perfectly healthy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

I'm twisting it? LOL No. I don't think so. There is only one definition of an essential nutrient. I'm using that term correctly. Something the body needs that you must consume to get.

The body needs glucose. Between 40-150g per day.... I think I said this already. Anyways. We make glucose. We don't need to eat it. Done.

We need oxygen. Does that mean we should seek out atmospheres of 40-60% oxygen instead of our lower oxygen atmosphere (what is it? 21%?). More isn't needed.

More glucose (from the diet) is also not needed. That is my point. You could use more glucose and eat more, but you don't need to.

And I never said because glucose is non-essential that we should all be LCHF. Nor did I EVER say "toxic". I don't think I am the one twisting anything here.

I said that we would die without our minimum glucose. It's true. Glucose is important. So is a large number of other chemicals in the body. But unless you are living without a functioning liver it really is a non issue. We make glucose. No one is going to die from lack of glucose. Even if you never eat a carby food.

I am just reiterating (over and over) that LCHF is safe and one of the reasons is because there is no minimum carb requirement. This thread is about LCHF safety, right? Well, low carbers don't need to worry about going too low and depriving their bodies of an essential nutrient because carbs are not essential. The body is designed to meet our glucose (because it is another important thing the body uses).

Question for you then, If you need 40-150g of glucose per day and you aren't eating high protein either, then were are you getting your glucose from? You can't make it from fat so are you pulling out of your skeletal muscles?

And yes, this is an honest question because I'm not sure where you are getting enough protein or carbs from if you are trying to eat say below 20g or carbs and below 50 or 60g or protein. Are my number unrealistic?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

You misunderstand what he is saying.

Glucose is so vital to biological function that the body will manufacture it.

That's why we don't need to ingest it.

THAT is what he's saying.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

Yup, it's too important for you to be dependant on eating it. A single longish intense exercise session can use up your glycogen, if you couldn't create more glucose you'd simply cease functioning a short while later as your blood sugar drops towards 0.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

Yup, it's too important for you to be dependant on eating it. A single longish intense exercise session can use up your glycogen, if you couldn't create more glucose you'd simply cease functioning a short while later as your blood sugar drops towards 0.

True IF one wasn't yet adapted to burn fat and be fueled by ketones instead of glucose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

True IF one wasn't yet adapted to burn fat and be fueled by ketones instead of glucose.

Whats funny, if you look at many of the endurance LCHF's, the amount of glucose actually consumed is crazy. Many of them consume more carbs than I do, but they just happen to have a net low amount. In fact, some of the Keto endurance cyclist I have seen on here consume over 200g of carbs a day while training.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

Newsflash, even on keto your brain needs glucose.
    Try again.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    essential nutrient
    noun

You are.

You still would need to be able to manufacture glucose internally. Ketone bodies partially but do not completely substitute as fuel for the brain.