Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Glad someone directed me to this thread!
    I myself had reached goal 2 years ago but I was obsessed for 3 years getting there. Stressed, logged, weighted and measured everything, exercised 7 days a week etc. It caught up to me and this past year I crashed! Gained a good 10 lbs. now trying to get back into routine but not going as harsh as I did prior. No logging measuring etc. Just watching portions and baking good choices and trying to exercise 5 days a week. I'm hypo thyroid and struggling!!! Not 1 lb gone etc. I'm not going to give up cause I know before it was very slow coming off but it's sure discouraging! This time the lack of motivation is hard so I'm trying a new program. Befit in 90 and I like it but don't think there enough lifting in it???

Any suggestions ?

Hey... glad to see you are back in the game. Is your hypo under control through meds?

If you are going to try and make the best of something like a recomp, then a solid progressive overload lifting routine would be ideal (like a StrongCurves, NROL4W, etc..) but if you have limitations of equipment or inability to get to a gym, then there are a few full body dumbbell routines in the link I posted, as well as body weight programs.

Anecdotally, some of the women I have seen with great success with hypo, tend to limit carbs a bit and increase fats. Protein should be about .8g to 1g per lb of weight (since you are fairly lean).

Thank you! No it's not under control at all. I feel like crap, saw a new endo dr and she didn't do much. Upper my meds in late aug. went for my blood work today to see what my numbers look like but I don't think it's going to make a difference! :(. I know it plays a huge role as I'm utterly exhausted daily!!!
    I have select tech weights at home and that it. No gym access or anything. I only get 30 min a day to exercise.... which links are you talking about? For st home dumbbell programs?

If you clicked on the works StronCruves, etc.. there was an embedded link. I have a thread that has a ton of lifting programs. I would check out the M&S program in the dumbbell/beginner section. It's a solid program that I have used with some clients that are just getting into lifting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Good luck getting the meds worked out. That is going to play an immense role in this.

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I know and it's so hard when your not optimal for anything to work. I can eat like a mouse and eat whole foods and exercise and get no where! I'm very curious what my numbers are and I'll have a hard time not phoning till Friday or Monday to see what they were!
    Do I had started a program called befit in 90 a week and a half ago. What do u know about it? Should I even continue with it
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Am 5'6. I've been recomping for over a year (slow). Started recomp after losing too much weight. Originally attempted a crash diet with minimal exercise of any kind when I was obese at 190. I lost over 70 pounds, was lacking nutrition, lean mass, and was eating around 600-800 calories a day. Still had lots of body bad despite being thin. After starting recomp, I began to gain mass, a little bit of weight back, and have kept my weight stable while losing body fat and gaining more mass. Am currently 130 pounds, (32-23-34).
    rw1g0h.jpg
    First row is original weight/obese. Second row is skinny-fat with ED. Third row is current.

You look great. Strong and healthy!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I know and it's so hard when your not optimal for anything to work. I can eat like a mouse and eat whole foods and exercise and get no where! I'm very curious what my numbers are and I'll have a hard time not phoning till Friday or Monday to see what they were!
    Do I had started a program called befit in 90 a week and a half ago. What do u know about it? Should I even continue with it

I don't know anything of it, but it looks kind of like a P90X knock off. It may be worth giving it a go for a cycle to see if it provides any benefit.
  • lin7604
    Options
    See I never did p90x but thought it looked a lot harder then this! This has a 5 min warm up and then 3 different 10 min programs. One 10 min weights and then either a cardio, mma, yoga etc I just thought 10 min of lifting wS not nearly enough?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    See I never did p90x but thought it looked a lot harder then this! This has a 5 min warm up and then 3 different 10 min programs. One 10 min weights and then either a cardio, mma, yoga etc I just thought 10 min of lifting wS not nearly enough?

That is definitely going to be suboptimal. Since you have selecttechs, why not do the M&S program on the lifting days and use befit for your cardio or aerobic days.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Yes I think so....I find the days with weight I gave to pause it so much to change my select techs. It drives me nuts, otherwise one exercise is way too light and no challenge and the next I struggle at getting 4-5 in!
    I think I'll do their warm up daily and then do that program u have me m/w/f and the other days I'll rotate the cardio, mma, conditioning and yoga
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes I think so....I find the days with weight I gave to pause it so much to change my select techs. It drives me nuts, otherwise one exercise is way too light and no challenge and the next I struggle at getting 4-5 in!
    I think I'll do their warm up daily and then do that program u have me m/w/f and the other days I'll rotate the cardio, mma, conditioning and yoga

Probably a solid approach to start. If you have questions, let me know.
  • lin7604
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So with the m&s program do I do each exercise once, go through them all and repeat till I've done them all 3 times? Or go back to back for all 3 sets.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So with the m&s program do I do each exercise once, go through them all and repeat till I've done them all 3 times? Or go back to back for all 3 sets.

3 sets of the single move, with a break of 30 to 90 seconds in between each set, then move onto the next move.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I've done P90X and it wasn't really that bad despite hearing the opposite from several people. It is just a bigger time commitment than I was hoping. Maybe try P90X3 (mass), which only takes 30 minutes and you can do most of the exercises with one set of weights.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Pathman1 wrote: »

I've done P90X and it wasn't really that bad despite hearing the opposite from several people. It is just a bigger time commitment than I was hoping. Maybe try P90X3 (mass), which only takes 30 minutes and you can do most of the exercises with one set of weights.

If anything, P90X (1) is going to be the best. It's more focused on weight training, less on "functional" fitness. There is actually less weight training in P90X2 and P90X3. If anything, body beast would be the best choice. My biggest issue is you only hit muscle groups once a week, which is highly inefficient. 2 to 4 times a week is more ideal to address muscle protein synthesis which is active, in newer lifters, within a 24 to 36 hour time period. And if you want muscle growth, that is important.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/Psulemon; I do full-body 3 times a week. Was doing heavy (4 sets of 5-8 reps) and just recently went back to lighter weights and higher reps (if only for a short while just to change it up). I have had to increase my cals because of increasing muscle mass (even at 60+) and am having a hard time maintaining my weight. I spend very little time on the treadmill (15 - 20) and I don't do steady-state. I warm up then go as fast as I can then slow it down; do this until my time is up. I have lost inches off my hips, waist and thighs and increased my muscle mass doing this. Will probably go back to heavier weights next month sometime. B)
  • lin7604
    Options

If anything, P90X (1) is going to be the best. It's more focused on weight training, less on "functional" fitness. There is actually less weight training in P90X2 and P90X3. If anything, body beast would be the best choice. My biggest issue is you only hit muscle groups once a week, which is highly inefficient. 2 to 4 times a week is more ideal to address muscle protein synthesis which is active, in newer lifters, within a 24 to 36 hour time period. And if you want muscle growth, that is important.

I just don't have the time p90x requires etc as I get 30 min! I hated p90x3!!! Too much body weight exercises for me and couldn't keep motivated as I lost most of definition I gained with Chalean extreme! I also tried body beast but just could not get into it. Most days o didn't have enough time, I didn't like the trainer and didn't like the different set ups they had. I want simple to the point with little equipment.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I just don't have the time p90x requires etc as I get 30 min! I hated p90x3!!! Too much body weight exercises for me and couldn't keep motivated as I lost most of definition I gained with Chalean extreme! I also tried body beast but just could not get into it. Most days o didn't have enough time, I didn't like the trainer and didn't like the different set ups they had. I want simple to the point with little equipment.

I think a good supplemental with the MS workout could be CLX if your body does well with recovery and its time fitting. Its basically what i do.. 3 day full body and bb programs for cardio/edurance. Its worked so far.
  • lin7604
    Options
    But wouldn't that be too much lifting? Also cause clx does whole body ? I thought I would need cardio / endurance my other 2 days?
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds. I'm sort of flabby and I just started stronglifts a few weeks ago. I'd like to gain a bit of muscle. Should I be eating at maintenance and doing this recomposition stuff or should I stay at a slight deficit? I could technically lose more weight but I'm right in the middle of the healthy weight range. I want my abs to show and I know that requires losing quite a bit of fat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,117 Member
    Options
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds. I'm sort of flabby and I just started stronglifts a few weeks ago. I'd like to gain a bit of muscle. Should I be eating at maintenance and doing this recomposition stuff or should I stay at a slight deficit? I could technically lose more weight but I'm right in the middle of the healthy weight range. I want my abs to show and I know that requires losing quite a bit of fat.

Recomposition is done at maintenance usually. A small deficit would be going into a bulk/cut type of approach.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    But wouldn't that be too much lifting? Also cause clx does whole body ? I thought I would need cardio / endurance my other 2 days?

Use the non lifting days for your endurance days.
  • lin7604
    Options

Use the non lifting days for your endurance days.

Ya that was my plan but u confused me, lol .. when you mentioned clx. I don't care for the 2 no lifting videos of clx and used to always sub those with other programs like t25/ combat etc. So I think I'll try that m/s program u suggested 3 days and I'll do befit in 90 the other 2 with their cardio and mma videos.