What am I doing wrong? Can someone take a look at my food diary entry for today?

Options
aliciamarieUF
aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone.

I was on a role and was weighing 138 pounds a few months ago before depression hit me. I creeped up to 151 (this keeps fluctuating from 147 though, so not sure what my actual weight is at the moment). Anyway, although never stopped exercising altogether, I began to take my diet and workout routine much more seriously, especially considering that I have a sedentary office job now.

I have been going to the gym for about a month and a half and have not seen any weight loss (clothes don't fit any differently either) despite cleaning up my diet.

I was wondering if someone can take a look at my diary and maybe give me some suggestions? Keep in mind that the almond coffee and feta wrap from Starbucks is very out of the ordinary for me. Boyfriend slept over last night so we went out for breakfast this morning, but normally I just have 2 eggs and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast.

I noticed that my calories for the day went over the allotted 1,200. However, if I don't snack throughout the day I feel hungry and don't have energy at the gym. Even with all the snacking I did throughout the day, I STILL felt hungry during and after my workout this evening.

Sometimes when I'm too tired to cook, I'll have a protein shake right after my workout in place of dinner.
I have also been strength training in addition to cardio.

Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• aliciamarieUF
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Well...for todays entry you ate 2154 calories. Your goal was 1200 and you gained 341 calories from the exercise you logged. So you overate from your goal by 613 calories net. Not sure what your goal was set on (how much deficit) but that is pretty far off from your goal.

I don't know your stats so I can't really try to esitmate your TDEE to know what that is like in comparison to what you ate...but its clear you are eating more than you set your goal to and I'm not sure why you are.

As for what you are eating that doesn't matter so much for weight loss, you eat what fills you up and you eat enough protein and thats about that. Looks to me like you are getting sufficient protein so what you ate to get there not a big deal. 2150 calories though might be a bit much if you are looking to lose weight.

What is your age height and current weight?

The problem is that I continue to feel hungry and sometimes will even cramp up or feel low on energy at the gym, despite the fact that I am eating over my calorie limit.

I am 5'6", 26-years-old, and I am fluctuating between 147 and 151 right now.
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    Also, I have to be burning calories with strength training, no???
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to log your intake for at least one month to get any idea if your are going wrong somewhere. One day is not going to do it. Too little information.

Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you fairly sedentary in your day to day activities (like desk job) aside from your intentional exercise at the gym? How long and how often are your workouts and are the primarily strength training?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If you're constantly hungry, change your macros so you've got more balance (35p, 35f or c, 30c or f). And aim to get around 25g of fiber daily (if you havent been getting enough fiber, increase the amount slowly over 2 weeks). Make sure to drink enough water (until your urine is pale yellow straw color).

Second the logging for longer and also wondering if you use a food scale.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Also, I have to be burning calories with strength training, no???

Strength training burns very little calories, almost none. Is it possible it is around your TOM? I get ravenous on such days and nothing can fill me up. The only reason I stop eating on these days is because the day is over and I fall asleep lol !

What do you mean Strength training burns very little calories, almost non? - THAT IS ABSOLUTE LIE!

Here is my non-solicited advice :) Talk to a dietician. Snacking is not bad, depends on what you snack on and you also have to get used to eating less, so don't go crazy. You seem tense... Take up Hot yoga - that will help you stretch and relax. GET OUTSIDE, even just for a brisk walk, but get some Vitamin D! Drink water. Also, I like to drink tea and I find that I always had to have something with my tea - Dates (Majool Dates) especially are great substitute for any snack with tea all you need is about 3 with your cup of tea. they are high in sugar so be careful on eating to many of them, but they are also good. Sunflower seeds, nuts, avocados - all high in fat but in good fat. NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME - so choose good ones. Love your self first and exercise because you love your body not because you hate it.
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    Are you fairly sedentary in your day to day activities (like desk job) aside from your intentional exercise at the gym? How long and how often are your workouts and are the primarily strength training?

Yes, I unfortunately sit for 9 hours a day. I would say I do cardio for 40 to 50 minutes and then 4 sets of 4 different machines for whatever muscle group I will be working that day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes, I unfortunately sit for 9 hours a day. I would say I do cardio for 40 to 50 minutes and then 4 sets of 4 different machines for whatever muscle group I will be working that day.

Well with your stats and general activity I can try using a TDEE calculator to see what your daily calorie need might be...keeping in mind this is an estimate not necessarily 100% accurate.

I'll use this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Put in female, 149 pounds, 64 inches, 26 years old activity is 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise.

Put your goal as a 20% calorie reduction for weight loss.

It gives your BMR as 1475, your TDEE as 2286 so it has you eating 1830 a day to lose about a pound per week. Now your diary has only one day but assuming its representative you ate 2150 calories which is only 100 calories less than your TDEE. Assuming you ate that everyday and you were 100% accurate in your logging and your TDEE estimate was 100% accurate you would only be losing 0.2 pounds per week meaning it would take over one month to lose one pound.

Of course the TDEE estimate could be off, your calorie counting could be off, lots of things could be off....hard to say. What is says though is you should probably be eating less than you are to lose weight and if you are hungry you might want to look at changing your macro balance around and see what makes you feel more full. Often higher protein or higher fat with lower carb plus more dietary fiber can help with that for most people.

all of this is spot on OP.

Reset your calorie goal based on the above and stick with it for 4-6 weeks and see if the scale moves?
  • chezinkflo
    chezinkflo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I can't see any drinks on your diary. What are you drinking throughout the day? Are you having plenty of water? Also, there's quite q bit of olive oil there, I have cut mine down to a couple of teaspoons per meal and that helped. I also changed to a low GL regime which means I eat slow acting sugars not fast acting ones. This keeps my energy levels steady all day no matter what I'm doing. Change the scrambled eggs for poached or boiled, and the snack crackers for a couple of squares of dark chocolate 80% or above and see if that helps.
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great input. I will definitely try readjusting things.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Why switch from scrambled eggs to boiled or poached? If OP likes eggs fried styles...?
    Maybe add things to scrambled (or omelette style) egg to be more filling, whether things are in the egg or on the side. Vegetables? Cheese? Some type of meat or fish? Beans? etc
  • spiveaa
    spiveaa Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Things look great, one thing I would look at is you Olive oil usage. You using for cooking or for salads? You can see the fat continent is higher in those two teaspoons than you consumed all day.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    There isn't much on your diary, so I'll just give advice based on what I've read in here.

If you feel the need to snack, try to snack on things that are lower calorie. I've chosen my snacks based on how many calories are in a POUND. Fruit, glorious fruit! Ahem. This way when I go to the store, I can measure out a pound of the fruit I want, and snack on it through the day, while knowing exactly how much that snack will cost me in calories. I'm anal about measuring it.

My favorites, and their approximate calories per pound. FRESH, NOT DRIED. This is important
    Peaches - 178
    Pineapple - 227
    Plum - 206
    Grapes - 310
    Apricots - 217
    Red Pepper - 181
    Cucumber - 70 [I dislike this, but others like them]
    White Mushroom - 101
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wrote: »
    Why switch from scrambled eggs to boiled or poached? If OP likes eggs fried styles...?
    Maybe add things to scrambled (or omelette style) egg to be more filling, whether things are in the egg or on the side. Vegetables? Cheese? Some type of meat or fish? Beans? etc

I like doing egg beaters so I can throw in a tooonnnnn of things and have a huge volume at same or lower calories. Can get an incredibly cheesy low-cal omelette this way. <3