Carbs

Options
I'm finding it a real struggle to avoid carbs and I'm sure that it's not just me. Anyone else in the same boat and thought of ways to avoid them or miminalise intake??

Replies

• Belvill
    Belvill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have a problem with carbs, but been in a crash diets with no carbs, make me realise I can lose weight quick, but also I will get the weight back quicker...so I decide to cut portions and control what carbs to eat...one of my big carb problem is bread, so I am trying flatbread with low carbs and higher fiber...and I loved..another changed I did was make small portion on my intakes...b4 I have big plate of pasta, bread and sometimes rice .....so now I just eat the pasta alone or with a side of green salad...
    I don't feel hungry....my big issue is anxiety...so I try to eat every 3 hours small portion, and drink a lot water, and sometimes I spice my water a little wt limo, cinnamon, ginger.. and why not some cayenne pepper....sounds funny but taste good...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid carbs. Do you have a medical reason to avoid them? If not then I wouldn't worry about it. If you find that a high carb meal doesn't leave you feeling satisfied then you might want to make sure you eat more protien or fat if that helps, but there is no reason to avoid carbs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues there is no reason to avoid carbs. Just make sure you getting enough protein and fats.....carbs are whatever is leftover. Shift the focus slightly.

A well rounded meal (for me) includes ONE starchy carb, not two. An example, grilled chicken sandwich with a green salad OR grilled chicken breast and a baked sweet potato. The days of a sandwich (on bread) + fries......are gone.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks will tell you that there is no need to avoid carbs as long as you're eating the right amount of calories. While I definitely agree, I still try to limit carbs from pasta, bread, pastries, rice, etc and enjoy carbs from oats, veges, and beans. I average less than 100g of carbs a day and try to stay below 50 if I can. Again, this is a personal preference - Not necessary for weight loss. While I stay low-carb all week I still have 1 meal (pizza, sushi, hibachi) that is way higher in carbs and sometimes it results in losses on the scale.

I would find it really hard to have no carbs at all but here's some things I do:
    -Use zucchini as noodles (with or without spiralizer)
    - Cook saute peppers, onions, and zucchini in red sauce to pair with meatballs or really as any "noodles"
    - Use a tortilla as a crust to make flat bread pizzas (top with cheese + whatever toppings and bake)
    - Lean ground beef with broccoli & cheese (taste like hamburger helper to me)
    - Make stir-fry without rice and extra veges (especially extra snap peas!)

Honestly, it may seem boring but I love just having a lean meat and veges. I often have just a chicken breast as a snack, or I'll pick-up a rotisserie chicken and steam veges for dinner.
  • FabFitMe2018
    FabFitMe2018 Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm doing a lower carb which I keep under 100g and higher protien and so far It's working out pretty well. You can check out my diary it's pretty repetitive food wise but I don't find myself as tired as I use to be and I'm not as hungry. I still let myself have what I want occasionally. I went on pinterest to look up lower carb veggies and other snacks. I eat alot of chicken and ground turkey, asaragus, eggs and cheese. I also found mashed and riced cauliflower in the frozen section I mix it with mushrooms and ground turkey it's pretty good. However you don't want to just cut carbs out, I've tried the whole 20g of carbs a day for a month and even though I lost weight I ended up gaining it back because that's not how I plan on eating forever so go a healthier route and just log what you eat and make healthy choices.
    Hope that helps alittle ☺
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lost 125+ lbs in the last 1.5 years, I can faithfully tell you.. carbs do not matter as long as you stay under your calorie goal. Granted, if you eat too many of them you'll end up hungry and out of calories for the day, but they make no real difference other than that.
  • Melemur
    Melemur Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just recently changed my dieting two doing low carbs it's hard to avoid them altogether so I figured trying to limit myself as a better option overall I found some things harder than others but have found some great substitutions such as cauliflower makes a good substitution for rice and mashed potatoes I have made zucchini fries in the oven instead of regular fries overall it has gone easier once I figured it out
  • LovelessFool
    LovelessFool Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100lbs in just shy of 4 months controlling my carb intake and I didn't do it because I had medical issues. I however was and I am still very heavy but i had no diabetes or high blood pressure and I did tons of research regarding many different lifestyle changes. There are strong opinions on both sides of the low carb / high carb debate but the most silly thing I hear is there is no need to avoid carbs if you don't have a medical problem. Simple CICO has been proven not to work on many occasions. You have to truly balance your macro's within the caloric restriction so that means watching lots of things...not just calories.

In the end focus on changing your diet for what you feel is sustainable for you. Don't be afraid to try different things. Stick to your caloric restriction goal and adjust your macro's until you find what fits best and then just focus on sticking with it.

Good luck with everything!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you want to go low carb then do it, but understand that it isn't necessary to lose weight or be healthy. I personally wouldn't sign up for a WOE if I had a difficult time applying it.

I eat a substantively plant based diet so I eat a lot of carbs as do the vast majority of vegetarians and vegans. I try to focus on nutrient rich sources of carbohydrates like oats, legumes, lentils, potato varieties, lots of veg, fruit, etc and I somewhat limit less nutritionally rich sources like breads and pasta, etc (but I do eat those things).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100lbs in just shy of 4 months controlling my carb intake and I didn't do it because I had medical issues. I however was and I am still very heavy but i had no diabetes or high blood pressure and I did tons of research regarding many different lifestyle changes. There are strong opinions on both sides of the low carb / high carb debate but the most silly thing I hear is there is no need to avoid carbs if you don't have a medical problem. Simple CICO has been proven not to work on many occasions. You have to truly balance your macro's within the caloric restriction so that means watching lots of things...not just calories.

In the end focus on changing your diet for what you feel is sustainable for you. Don't be afraid to try different things. Stick to your caloric restriction goal and adjust your macro's until you find what fits best and then just focus on sticking with it.

Can you post proof that CICO is proven not to work?

OP, like others, I lost weight just fine without restricting my carb intake.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    hmm I lost weight eating carbs and some days I was eating over 300g of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Ironically, some of the healthiest diets in the world are fairly high carb...Japan has one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates in the world and they eat a pretty high carb diet.

"Simple CICO" is the math and works every time and is the underlying principle of any weight loss diet. Going low carb is just one of many ways to create a calorie deficit which is what is necessary to lose weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

You changed your macros and stayed within your calorie goal.. this is still called CICO..
  • LovelessFool
    LovelessFool Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not here thumping go low carb. I focused in my post more on macro balance and what works for them. Simply restricting calories without balancing your macro's IMHO doesn't work. Use google and look at any longer term study. Again I'm not saying eat less carbs (It's what I did and worked for me and I have no medical issues). To me It's about balance. Depending on where you get your energy from it's all relative so no need to go on some attack spree about low carb vs high carb. My post wasn't about that.

The post was about maintaining balance of your macro's within your restriction. I don't think 90% carbs and 0% fat and 10% protein works. I don't think 10% carbs and 80% fat and 10% protein works either but that's my opinion. There are extremes at either end of the debate but honestly I believe it's about balance. How we eat and what we eat does matter and how we exercise does to. Many times eating out of balance can still have you losing weight but it can damage your metabolism or cause other issues.

At the end of the day no one has a magic pill that says "poof" you are healthy. I was just saying restriction isn't the only factor. It's not that simple IMHO.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Human diets are all over the place and pretty much any macro breakdown will work. People do successfully lose on 80% fat, 10% each protein and carbs, and they also lose on 80% carbs, 10% each protein and fat. People lived fine on super low carb diets (like the Inuits) or super low fat/high carb diets (like the traditional Okinawan). If you think about it there's no physical reason why you wouldn't lose just fine on any of the above.

Some ways of eating are more satisfying and easier to sustain than others, of course (although this depends on the person), and going too low protein when losing will affect loss of muscle vs. fat, but on the whole calories are what matter, especially if one has any kind of sensible diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm not here thumping go low carb. I focused in my post more on macro balance and what works for them. Simply restricting calories without balancing your macro's IMHO doesn't work. Use google and look at any longer term study. Again I'm not saying eat less carbs (It's what I did and worked for me and I have no medical issues). To me It's about balance. Depending on where you get your energy from it's all relative so no need to go on some attack spree about low carb vs high carb. My post wasn't about that.

The post was about maintaining balance of your macro's within your restriction. I don't think 90% carbs and 0% fat and 10% protein works. I don't think 10% carbs and 80% fat and 10% protein works either but that's my opinion. There are extremes at either end of the debate but honestly I believe it's about balance. How we eat and what we eat does matter and how we exercise does to. Many times eating out of balance can still have you losing weight but it can damage your metabolism or cause other issues.

At the end of the day no one has a magic pill that says "poof" you are healthy. I was just saying restriction isn't the only factor. It's not that simple IMHO.

these things may not work for you but they can work for others(and they have),as for what we eat it matters health wise but weight wise it doesnt,its still about about CICO. I ate like crap and still lost weight, restricting calories(or being in a deficit) does work even if all you ate was twinkies(not saying you should at all),again its not as healthy but people have lost weight eating crap foods,as for damaging your metabolism eating out of balance,could you post a link backing this up? because there are other things out there that can ruin your metabolism besides a screwed up diet(WOE)
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I aim for, and usually achieve, macros of 50% carbs, 30%, 20% protein. Today I hit the 70lbs lost mark in just over 7 months, dropping from 250.5lbs to 180.5lbs. I regularly eat over 300g of carbs in a day. Low carb is not necessarily necessary. CICO works well for me, and many others, regardless of carb intake. I agree that too many carbs vs protein and fats will probably leave you pretty hungry. If anything, I advise to avoid refined carbs as much as you can. Have steel cut oats, not quick oats. Whole grain breads, not white. This won't necessarily impact weight loss, but it is healthier, and leaves you feeling full longer, I find.
    Don't get bogged down too much in other people's opinions - find what works for you. For me, it is CICO. It works. Low carb seems weird to me - fruits and veggies are carbs, why would I limit those? I don't know what most eating plans are - Keto? Paleo? No idea, and I don't need to know. I've lost my weight eat pizza weekly, chocolate almost daily...whatever I want to eat, really, just in moderation, and under my calorie limits for every. single. day. I mix in a lot more healthier foods than I used to eat, and a lot more exercise, and I don't cut anything completely out of my diet. There is no need to, really.

Good luck on your journey, and, again, focus on what you can handle doing, and see what works for you. If low carb is too tough, see if higher carb intake works while sticking to CICO works. It almost definitely will, and, if more carbs is easier for you and still works, go with it. It'll make you more likely to stick to it and lose weight. People will disagree with my views on carbs. I'll disagree with some of theirs. There is one thing we all agree on - we all want you to reach your goals. Go get it done!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

We all agree that it's about balance, finding a sustainable diet that works for the individual, and one that addresses satiety, but all diet.. literally all diets, follow CICO. CICO is a simplification of energy balance. People believe that CICO doesn't work is because they can only make progress when they change macros without realize that macro changes have lead them to be more consistent, increase satiety driving decrease in calories, or addressed medical conditions that alter metabolism.