does cleansing the gut help lose weight faster?

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Egg fast? That sounds despicable. And smelly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I second the fibre thing, keeps everything moving and your innards sparkly clean. Lots of fruit and veg is best.

If by "cleanse" you mean "drugs or manipulations that will make my intestines eject their contents artificially quickly" - no. Of course you will be lighter, you will have emptied out all your poop prematurely, and a load of water along with it. You will get heavier again when you eat something and it all starts working again. It will have zero effect on body fat.

I'm feeling particularly grumpy on this subject because I just watched Anna Richardson "test" some daft treatment where they kneaded her guts until she had to take an enormous poo, and then weighed her, and she was amazed she had lost several pounds. No kidding. Several pounds of poop and water. A lot of good that'll do towards your fitness goals.

• robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Body cleansing isn't a "fad", the Chinese have practiced it for thousands of years.

It's used in eastern medicine often. It isn't a weight loss thing. It's more about detoxing the body. You may see a more steady weight loss if you regularly detox though.

It's not just apple cider crap either. Detox could simply mean eating clean and drinking more water than usual.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    "Bloodletting" also had its medical heyday. You could lose measurable weight with that or a leech session. Toxic "Vapours" and such weigh a lot too.

Quackery, snake oil and Woo, OH MY!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Bleeding was practiced for thousands of years, too. Also trepanning. Age is no evidence of effectiveness.

"Detox" is not a valid medical concept. It is a spiritual idea to do with ritual purity, sin and sacrifice. In medical terms, your body has a complex and very effective system to remove toxins. If it didn't, you would die, because toxins are not some vague bad thing that give you headaches and make you bloated. They are poisons and they will make you dead.

Thankfully they are filtered out of the blood by the kidneys and leave the body in your urine. The kidneys are extremely good at this and will filter and eject foreign substances, including medical drugs, so well that one of the main challenges in designing drugs is actually keeping them in the body long enough to work.

If this system stops working, and toxins start to build up, you will be hospitalised and treated with the only effective medical detox - kidney dialysis.

If you find "detoxing" a rewarding spiritual practice, you go ahead. But be aware that what you're doing is a religious ritual, not a medical procedure, it is not removing actual toxins, and it will not make you thin.

This isn't me disagreeing with you but actually I have haemochromatosis (high iron) and the only solution is technically "bleeding" lol

A legitimate medical use. As detoxing is for an addict or someone who has ingested something poisonous. Not for some magical health giving property.
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I went on a gut cleanse and lost a lot of weight really quickly. Let me check to see what the program I was on was called....ah here it is, it was called norovirus.

I have also done this cleanse. At least twice. Would highly NOT recommend.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Bleeding was practiced for thousands of years, too. Also trepanning. Age is no evidence of effectiveness.

"Detox" is not a valid medical concept. It is a spiritual idea to do with ritual purity, sin and sacrifice. In medical terms, your body has a complex and very effective system to remove toxins. If it didn't, you would die, because toxins are not some vague bad thing that give you headaches and make you bloated. They are poisons and they will make you dead.

Thankfully they are filtered out of the blood by the kidneys and leave the body in your urine. The kidneys are extremely good at this and will filter and eject foreign substances, including medical drugs, so well that one of the main challenges in designing drugs is actually keeping them in the body long enough to work.

If this system stops working, and toxins start to build up, you will be hospitalised and treated with the only effective medical detox - kidney dialysis.

If you find "detoxing" a rewarding spiritual practice, you go ahead. But be aware that what you're doing is a religious ritual, not a medical procedure, it is not removing actual toxins, and it will not make you thin.

This isn't me disagreeing with you but actually I have haemochromatosis (high iron) and the only solution is technically "bleeding" lol

Can't argue with you there. And the NHS keeps leeches and maggots for medical use, so there you are.

I stand by my point about "detoxes" though.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Body cleansing isn't a "fad", the Chinese have practiced it for thousands of years.

It's used in eastern medicine often. It isn't a weight loss thing. It's more about detoxing the body. You may see a more steady weight loss if you regularly detox though.

It's not just apple cider crap either. Detox could simply mean eating clean and drinking more water than usual.

Yes, it IS a fad. A silly one. Why? The body already detoxes itself. If it doesn't, you need medical attention asap. Many go on about TEH TOXINZ but ever mention which ones when asked. The only place detoxes have are medical detox of drugs and poison. That's it.

Eating clean has so many definitions to everyone. Ugh.
    I hate when foods get demonized.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    "Bloodletting" also had its medical heyday. You could lose measurable weight with that or a leech session. Toxic "Vapours" and such weigh a lot too.

Quackery, snake oil and Woo, OH MY!

I have to get bled every month or so cause my blood is too thick. Nothing to do with weight loss obviously.. .but yeah it's still called "bloodletting" I think. Always so sad to see a bag of my blood get tossed in the garbage lol.

• Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    nupururja wrote: »
    ok thanks! I read about cleanse teas( herbal teas) but don't know if they help

trolling?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

What toxins would one be getting rid of with these ancient Chinese cleanses?