Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    lin7604 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    lin7604 wrote: »
    But wouldn't that be too much lifting? Also cause clx does whole body ? I thought I would need cardio / endurance my other 2 days?

Use the non lifting days for your endurance days.

Ya that was my plan but u confused me, lol .. when you mentioned clx. I don't care for the 2 no lifting videos of clx and used to always sub those with other programs like t25/ combat etc. So I think I'll try that m/s program u suggested 3 days and I'll do befit in 90 the other 2 with their cardio and mma videos.

Good plan.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds. I'm sort of flabby and I just started stronglifts a few weeks ago. I'd like to gain a bit of muscle. Should I be eating at maintenance and doing this recomposition stuff or should I stay at a slight deficit? I could technically lose more weight but I'm right in the middle of the healthy weight range. I want my abs to show and I know that requires losing quite a bit of fat.

I am the same stats and under 20% body fat so your scale weight isn't bad, my abs show. I am still working on dropping about 5lbs more though now due to a challenge I am in. If you set for recomp you would aim for maintenance or right around it. I aim for 50cal or so under in case of logging errors. Give it at least 3-4 months and then take measurements. do before and after pics and measurements. Avoid the scale for that time as well. IF you have spent a lot of time working on loosing weight I know that is hard, but it is also hard to see the scale go up and fluctuate as well so staying away is a good thing.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds. I'm sort of flabby and I just started stronglifts a few weeks ago. I'd like to gain a bit of muscle. Should I be eating at maintenance and doing this recomposition stuff or should I stay at a slight deficit? I could technically lose more weight but I'm right in the middle of the healthy weight range. I want my abs to show and I know that requires losing quite a bit of fat.

I am the same stats and under 20% body fat so your scale weight isn't bad, my abs show. I am still working on dropping about 5lbs more though now due to a challenge I am in. If you set for recomp you would aim for maintenance or right around it. I aim for 50cal or so under in case of logging errors. Give it at least 3-4 months and then take measurements. do before and after pics and measurements. Avoid the scale for that time as well. IF you have spent a lot of time working on loosing weight I know that is hard, but it is also hard to see the scale go up and fluctuate as well so staying away is a good thing.

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I needed to know. I'm seeing some pretty huge fluctuations on the scale. Before I started lifting I was around 133 pounds, but this morning I was 138.8
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Bumping
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Kind of recomp related so I thought I'd ask in here. My husband sprung and bought me the Olympic bar and plates so I can lift as my cross training days for running Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 marathon program.

Has anyone in here run a marathon training program in conjunction with lifting or running a recomp? Advice? Recommendations for a lifting program that might be better with HH? I have been looking at KetoGains 5x5 but am not married to that idea if there is better programming to consider. Also the marathon is more than six months out so I feel like integrating lifting as cross training at this point won't be detrimental? I plan on running Intermediate 2 and then Advanced 1 directly afterward if that matters

TIA :) !
  • Richard1968mfp
    Richard1968mfp Posts: 1 Member
    I have been working out with weights for over a year and a half but still have love handles and lower stomach fat but not obviously so. I was still eating unhealthy snacks and desserts but now I've largely cut them out. I don't want to lose muscle that i've gained, my maintenance is 2439 and I'm aiming at 2100 to 2200 calories daily with adequate protein. Trying to solve the 'skinny fat' problem.
  • topfindyourfine
    topfindyourfine Posts: 14 Member
    While losing weight is a challenge, maintenance is far more tougher.
  • psuLemon
    I have been working out with weights for over a year and a half but still have love handles and lower stomach fat but not obviously so. I was still eating unhealthy snacks and desserts but now I've largely cut them out. I don't want to lose muscle that i've gained, my maintenance is 2439 and I'm aiming at 2100 to 2200 calories daily with adequate protein. Trying to solve the 'skinny fat' problem.

What is your workout plan? What are your stats?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Women building muscle anecdote: I did hydrostatic testing 6 months ago and weighed 151 with 18.8% bf. Last week weighed in at 153 with 17.8%. According to the test my lean mass went up from 122 to 125 lb, and my fat dropped by 1 lb. I don't know what the margin or error is, but I reportedly look leaner (people ask if I have lost weight). I eat low-carb, high fat because I am type I diabetic.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2016
    CJMQ wrote: »
    Women building muscle anecdote: I did hydrostatic testing 6 months ago and weighed 151 with 18.8% bf. Last week weighed in at 153 with 17.8%. According to the test my lean mass went up from 122 to 125 lb, and my fat dropped by 1 lb. I don't know what the margin or error is, but I reportedly look leaner (people ask if I have lost weight). I eat low-carb, high fat because I am type I diabetic.

Its potential there is some muscle but iirc the hydrostatics cant differentiate between the types of lbm (water, muscle, tissue, etc...). But if you like the results it doesn't really matter and its working.
  • amiraryce
    amiraryce Posts: 5 Member
    What does cardio look like? Should I be doing HIIT? LISS?
  • psuLemon
    amiraryce wrote: »

The one you enjoy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2016
    amiraryce wrote: »
    @amiraryce
    Do whatever you feel gets you towards your fitness goals and you actually enjoy. Or do both, or neither.....

I do a load of medium intensity cardio and long duration interval training as that suits my goals.
    I rarely do LISS and never do HIIT (proper HIIT) as that's pointless and possibly counter-productive for me.

It's my weight training that provides the majority of muscle stimulus for growth.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

This is not a aimed at you but your results perfectly highlight why I don't think recomp is the best course of action for most people. The margin of error for hydrostatic weighing is quoted to be around 3% which your measurements are well within.

Assuming one moves from a deficit to maintenance or a surplus, then some of the LBM gain will be water/glycogen. I have seen people gain between 1-9lbs of water/glycogen very early on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2016

This is not a aimed at you but your results perfectly highlight why I don't think recomp is the best course of action for most people. The margin of error for hydrostatic weighing is quoted to be around 3% which your measurements are well within.

Assuming one moves from a deficit to maintenance or a surplus, then some of the LBM gain will be water/glycogen. I have seen people gain between 1-9lbs of water/glycogen very early on.

Two logical fallacies here...

The 3% margin for error works both ways!
    So the results could equally be better than the scan results indicate.

Assuming one moves from a deficit to maintenance or a surplus, then some of the LBM gain will be water/glycogen.
    This is an assumption which does not apply to everyone, not everyone in a deficit is glycogen depleted.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2016

The higher end of glycogen only would occur if you are coming off a low carb or low calorie diet. If a person is on a moderator diet with moderate carbs, the increase in calories will be minimal in terms of glycogen storage. Also, taking into consideration, that when the average person increases calories, its generally not pure carbs. Many increase fats since it's easier to add calories. Most people I see in the gaining weight section, gain 2-4 lbs at most. And that is also not pure glycogen anyways because it is also an increase on waste from additional food.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

The higher end of glycogen only would occur if you are coming off a low carb or low calorie diet. If a person is on a moderator diet with moderate carbs, the increase in calories will be minimal in terms of glycogen storage. Also, taking into consideration, that when the average person increases calories, its generally not pure carbs. Many increase fats since it's easier to add calories. Most people I see in the gaining weight section, gain 2-4 lbs at most. And that is also not pure glycogen anyways because it is also an increase on waste from additional food.

Would this also be true for someone who stays low carb and runs a recomp?