How did you pick your Goal Weight?

Options
I am questioning this because I'm wondering if my goal is unreasonable. I've never been at that particular weight before. I started at 175 and my goal is to be 139. I picked it as a challenge, because it would be something I've never done. My lowest adult weight was 141. I'm wondering if I'm picking something that is not sustainable/unrealistic for someone my height; I'm 5'6". How did you go about picking your goal weight? Was it the weight you used to be? Or was it a challenge you picked for yourself?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-7" and picked 149 because it's under 150 and a healthy BMI. Once I got there, I realized I had a long way to go and reset to 130.

Not sure how old you are, but things do shift and you may look entirely different at 141 than you did in the past. Take and evaluate photos every 5 pounds. 139 sounds ideal, but you won't know until you get there. Most important, take your time.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My goal weight ranges from 128-135. 128 is a single pound "underweight" in reference to BMI for my height. This amuses me. 135 because I may just get too lazy for those last 7 pounds! :blush:
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi I don't have a goal didn't puck one yet, just lose weight until it's right. The lightest/heaviest I've known myself to be is about 25 pounds from where I am.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My goal weight isn't truly my real goal. It is an educated guess at what weight will have looking the way I want. I have been close enough to it before to know that it is pretty close. Actually though, I would be perfectly fine being heavier than that and actually plan to be but I am tired of the fat and getting lean is priority one.
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    NinaSharp wrote: »
    I am questioning this because I'm wondering if my goal is unreasonable. I've never been at that particular weight before. I started at 175 and my goal is to be 139. I picked it as a challenge, because it would be something I've never done. My lowest adult weight was 141. I'm wondering if I'm picking something that is not sustainable/unrealistic for someone my height; I'm 5'6". How did you go about picking your goal weight? Was it the weight you used to be? Or was it a challenge you picked for yourself?

I picked it based on what is a healthy weight range for my height and age... Granted weight isn't everything. But the highest weight I "should" be is between 121-158. So I picked kinda between the two at 135-140. I'm more focused on BF% though rather than weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I know I start to look too skinny around 210lb, so I use that as a rough guesstimate when I'm about to cut. The mirror and my general feeling is when I decide to stop or continue before I start reverse dieting into a bulk.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There is no such thing as an unreasonable goal weight, however there is such a thing as unreasonable weight loss expectations (like if you expect dropping 10 lbs/week in a healthy way). It's very reasonable to lose that much weight, but you need to make sure that you know what a healthy weight loss is (around 0.5-1 lbs/week) and that you're eating enough.

My goal weight is 55kg (121 lbs) though, and I'm currently at 63.6kg (140 lbs) that's still 20 lbs to go! I've never been that weight before since middle school, so I want to see what I look like in that weight and toned, I also really want to look good in skirts and tank tops! :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 181. I picked 150 to start because that's what I remember being before my daughter was born. As I got closer I reset my goal for 135, which I've been maintaining for last month. I probably could go another 10 but more interested in recomposition right now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't have one. It's been far, far too many years since I was at a healthy weight for me to have any idea what I'm going to look like when I get to one, so I don't see the point at picking a number. I do plan to be in my healthy weight range, but I think what will happen is that I'll get there, be happy with my size and have a range in which I stick rather than one number.

I can fluctuate up to 3kg in a day, so I don't want to drive myself nuts if one morning I'm above a certain number.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I settled on my current goal weight because it's just a couple kg under the top end of my weight class. Close enough that in the weeks before a weigh in I will have to be on point nutrition wise to make sure I make weight, but low enough that I won't have to water load.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm setting goals as I go: 10% of body weight to start with, as that's an amount that makes a real difference to health. Then 10% increments.

I have no illusions that I will get down to absolute "ideal" for my height - even my doctor didn't encourage that as a goal, based on my build, age, etc. She liked the 10% at a time idea because its way more achievable than a weight I last was before I got breasts...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at that weight since I was 11, but now for my height it is the middle of the healthy BMI so that's why I chose it as a goal.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7". Initially my goal was 160 - that was the lowest I'd been since reaching adulthood. Once I got there I just kept going and got down to 140. I then had my 4th child, and after the pregnancy my goal was to get back to 140-145. I did that, and was happy with the number on the scale, but my focus has recently shifted to building some muscle I've lost over the years... I'm not as "firm" as I would like to be. So for now I'm trying to gain weight (something that is beyond foreign to me, lol). With a progressive lifting routine and a modest surplus I'm slowly gaining (about a half lb per week). Once I get up around 152-155 I'll cut again and see where I end up. At this point I know I'm within the "healthy" category so it's about aesthetics and I'm kind of having fun playing with the numbers. I will admit it's nice to be deliberately "over eating" (without guilt) for the first time ever.

Tldr- I still don't know what my "goal weight" is.... I'll know it when I see it ;)