Is it possible

Options
Is it possible to lose weight with out going to the gym?

I have a bad back so going to the gym can be a bit hit and miss at time. I would much rather go for walks.... would this be enough to help with my weight loss?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calorie deficit, so no, you don't need to go to the gym.
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I have a bad back so going to the gym can be a bit hit and miss at time. I would much rather go for walks.... would this be enough to help with my weight loss?

I would see a medical professional and find out what you can do in the gym without damaging your back.

As a bad back sufferer I can attest to the fact that exercise reduced pain and flare ups. My doctor tells me the worst thing to do is rest a bad back.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for your health and burns calories. You can walk in the gym in bad weather, too.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym and lost 43lbs, so yes it is.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Simple answer yes.

My 168 lbs was lost and has been maintained for about 4 years now without ever setting foot in a gym.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible, actually its guaranteed as long as you stay in a calorie deficit..
  • ChunkyUnicorn_1987
    Options
    Wow so good losses with you going to the gym! I love walking so would much rather do that!

Thank for the help!
  • ChunkyUnicorn_1987
    Options
    Simple answer yes.

My 168 lbs was lost and has been maintained for about 4 years now without ever setting foot in a gym.

Wow well done!
  • ChunkyUnicorn_1987
    Options
    mikevfr wrote: »

I would see a medical professional and find out what you can do in the gym without damaging your back.

As a bad back sufferer I can attest to the fact that exercise reduced pain and flare ups. My doctor tells me the worst thing to do is rest a bad back.

My doctor said the best thing for me to do would be swimming, which I plan to do.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. This can be created by eating less or moving more (or both). As you cannot do the exercise portion, the diet is how you can achieve your deficit.