Not losing weight

Options

Replies

• melted_
    melted_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't worry :) you are doing great, one pound is one pound less than a month ago.
    Have you upped your water intake? Are you doing steps every day? How balanced are your meals? Could you maybe swap out something for a healthier option?
    If you think your doing everything right, get to a doctor, they could help xx

I mostly have been eating salads and grilled chicken, fruits in the morning, and maybe three cups of water a day
  • melted_
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    When you were "barely eating" were you barely moving too.

Has your med team ruled out any other injuries or oedema

You can't put on 70lbs without ingesting adequate calories ..mass is not created out of nothing

Check your logging, weigh everything move more

0cw7c2woesqn.jpg

When i was recovering i was walking like a mile a week so barely moving ..
  • melted_
    Options
    melted_ wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calorie intake?

Yes everyday with this app

• melted_
    Options
    Something doesn't add up. You were barely able to eat but gained 70lbs in 3 months. That means 3000 calories over maintenance each day and nearly 6lb weight gain per week.

I haven't been able to eat for a month now due to surgery, and have put on 7lb. However, by "eat" I mean "chew proper food". I've had wayyyyyy over my calories by putting things into the blender and sucking it through a straw! I've kinda used my surgery as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and have blended all sorts of stuff that I don't usually have (like birthday cake and choccies!) and thoroughly enjoyed it LOL! Maybe you've done something similar OP? Follow the chart, you'll start losing I promise! Hope your recovery has gone well.

7lbs in a month is different to 70lbs in 3 months though. If you are drinking cake then you know where your problem is.

That aside, I'm fairly sure that when recovering from surgery you should be eating at maintenance or slightly above to facilitate recovery.

Oh I agree, I quoted you because I wanted to share it with OP in case she's perhaps thinking that blended food isn't as calorific.

No i seriously wasnt eating for idk how long it was i was drinking smoothies with just fruit and water while i was recovering for idk 4 or 5months..
  • melted_
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The doctor that did my surgery said my metabolism might slow down and said if that happens to go to a nutritionist but my insurance company is *kitten* me over so i cant fo that.. i just need advice cuz i feel like nothing is working i dont need your smart *kitten* remarks.. already stressed enough
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Something doesn't add up. You were barely able to eat but gained 70lbs in 3 months. That means 3000 calories over maintenance each day and nearly 6lb weight gain per week.

I haven't been able to eat for a month now due to surgery, and have put on 7lb. However, by "eat" I mean "chew proper food". I've had wayyyyyy over my calories by putting things into the blender and sucking it through a straw! I've kinda used my surgery as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and have blended all sorts of stuff that I don't usually have (like birthday cake and choccies!) and thoroughly enjoyed it LOL! Maybe you've done something similar OP? Follow the chart, you'll start losing I promise! Hope your recovery has gone well.

7lbs in a month is different to 70lbs in 3 months though. If you are drinking cake then you know where your problem is.

That aside, I'm fairly sure that when recovering from surgery you should be eating at maintenance or slightly above to facilitate recovery.

Oh I agree, I quoted you because I wanted to share it with OP in case she's perhaps thinking that blended food isn't as calorific.

No i seriously wasnt eating for idk how long it was i was drinking smoothies with just fruit and water while i was recovering for idk 4 or 5months..

Boom, that's the info people were looking for. Were you weighing the fruit in those smoothies? Some fruit is VERY high-calorie. You might find you were easily drinking thousands of calories a day in fruit smoothies.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

You're lying to yourself about your calorie intake ( blended fruit can be high in calories and very low in the nutritional requirements to live let alone recover from injury)..that's not going to help you

You put on 70lbs ..so you ate 245000 calories over your TDEE over that time period. Let's discount 20lbs as oedema and set your TDEE at 1500 you'd have been drinking 3500 calories of fruit daily

That didn't come out of nowhere ...did you make all your own milkshakes, I bet someone was giving you meal replacement foods to help you recover

Anyway no point rehashing ...you're recovered

Start moving
    Start weighing your food and log it properly
    You're 5'7 and 200lbs ...eat 1500 calories, walk at least 5 miles (10k steps) per day and maybe do some purposeful exercise
  • melted_
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Boom, that's the info people were looking for. Were you weighing the fruit in those smoothies? Some fruit is VERY high-calorie. You might find you were easily drinking thousands of calories a day in fruit smoothies.

Yeah ur probably right wasnt paying much attention too busy allmost getting sued
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The doctor that did my surgery said my metabolism might slow down and said if that happens to go to a nutritionist but my insurance company is *kitten* me over so i cant fo that.. i just need advice cuz i feel like nothing is working i dont need your smart *kitten* remarks.. already stressed enough

1) Your metabolism won't slow down
    2) Drinking fruit is why you gained weight
  • melted_
    Options

When your body goes through truama you tend to gain weight to "create a shell of protection" is what my doctor said lmao and never thought i could gain weight from fruit but that was all i was eating for months so yeah seems realistiv
  • Sued0nim
    Options

When your body goes through truama you tend to gain weight to "create a shell of protection" is what my doctor said lmao and never thought i could gain weight from fruit but that was all i was eating for months so yeah seems realistiv

Inflammation is a protective response

70lbs oedema is not likely

If you are recovered your "inflammation" would have gone down. Are you recovered? What else did you injure? This can't just be about a wired jaw
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

If you are recovered your "inflammation" would have gone down. Are you recovered? What else did you injure? This can't just be about a wired jaw

Its not 3 months for 70 pounds .. in a recent post OP says 4-5 months.. so I idk
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Its not 3 months for 70 pounds .. in a recent post OP says 4-5 months.. so I idk

Yeah she's not got her facts straight yet, but that happens...we all think we are doing one thing, are actually doing something else and think the results are a lie or the science doesn't apply to us cos of "things"

The science applies

She will eventually look objectively and not subjectively at what she's been doing and over how long, whether we can help her get to that point is debatable. Depends what she reacts well to and her ability to self analyse and be honest with herself, and in her posting

(Sorry about talking about you in the third person there OP...it's more of a general commentary on how these kinds of threads usually pan out)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm sorry to hear you sustained an injury.

I am a healthcare professional, and while I cannot legally offer you any advice, I can say if your doctor told you to just drink some fruit smoothies, he's an idiot. No protein??? I've taken care of patients that have had to be wired, and they were given ensure, protein powders, meat broths, blended REAL food, and still tended to lose weight. You're not going to gain weight simply from having an injury. You gain weight from a calorie surplus.

This is gonna sound blunt, but make no more excuses. Get you a digital food scale, and measure all your food in grams. You eat a pack of instant oatmeal? don't log it as "one serving". Pour that sugar out, measure it dry, then find the entry that measures in grams on here. Input the number. You'll be suprised how much you overeat in a day. Believe me. I just had a serving of almond butter. Not the generic 2 tbs, but I weighed it. It was a sad sad amount, but it was the "real" serving size. Good luck on your journey.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I am a healthcare professional, and while I cannot legally offer you any advice, I can say if your doctor told you to just drink some fruit smoothies, he's an idiot. No protein??? I've taken care of patients that have had to be wired, and they were given ensure, protein powders, meat broths, blended REAL food, and still tended to lose weight. You're not going to gain weight simply from having an injury. You gain weight from a calorie surplus.

This is gonna sound blunt, but make no more excuses. Get you a digital food scale, and measure all your food in grams. You eat a pack of instant oatmeal? don't log it as "one serving". Pour that sugar out, measure it dry, then find the entry that measures in grams on here. Input the number. You'll be suprised how much you overeat in a day. Believe me. I just had a serving of almond butter. Not the generic 2 tbs, but I weighed it. It was a sad sad amount, but it was the "real" serving size. Good luck on your journey.

Not sure it is overly professional to call a doctor an idiot.
  • meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a very traumatic medical emergency complete with several surgeries years ago at age 21 - severe blood clotting of nearly half of me and a few other undetected major issues. When I first went into the hospital, I was 160 lbs, very athletic, and at 5'8. This was my weight with the minor swelling of blood clotting. When I was released about a month later, I had stabilized around 175~ lbs, swelling from the incisions and vein trauma, anemic, eating MAYBE 1000 calories a day and sedentary aside from physical therapy (walking the halls). I gained weight while being largely bedridden and on a restricted, high protein diet.

When you have surgeries, you swell and gain fluid (edema). When you are bedridden, your legs and pelvis and other areas gain swelling due to being immobilized. You lose a TON of muscle from this prolonged lifestyle. When your body is recovering from trauma, it holds onto water and produces fluid and takes it's time healing. You had a major life event, plus surgery, and our bodies are not singularly focused on losing weight or processing weight loss.

You should not judge your body by it's healing process. Even well after my hospital stay, I was seen once or twice a week at oncologist to track progress and blood levels. I was barely eating, not sure how much, but the weight was creeping up. 178, 180, 185. I felt HORRIBLE about it, but my doctors urged me to let my body finish sorting itself out - the swelling will subside on it's own, and as long as you keep a healthy diet of what your body needs (protein, fats, nutritious veggies), and move around, you will even out. Medications you might be on post-surgery or treatment can be a factor, too.

Please don't be so hard on yourself and give it time - I wish I would have had someone tell me these things. The best thing you can do is allow your emotional and physical self to heal by getting stronger through walking, eating filling and nutritious meals, and processing your anxieties and thoughts.

• meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also - I do want to add that swelling isn't always something we can SEE. It can be more internal, like in your pelvis or abdomen/liver, or it can be dramatic (like hands, feet, legs, face, etc).

Not to scare you, but if you are having noticeable swelling and weight gain in new places plus muscle aching, site hot to touch, feeling like it will split, trouble walking without charlie horses, etc after surgeries or being confined to bed-rest, you need to talk to your doctor about the possibilities of blood clotting (which can mask itself like weight gain depending on where the clot is).
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I understand what your going Thur , I had a stroke and gained 40 pounds in 2 months. I was not counting calories and to be frank I just did not give a kitten ,,, big accomplishment was standing up to take shower .

That being said ,, I'm getting better and on track with MFP .. It's slower this time but numbers will work given time ..

Good luck
  • hollyrayburn
    Options

Not sure it is overly professional to call a doctor an idiot.

If he did not provide proper education something as simple as eating more than fruit smoothies, then he's an idiot *shrug*
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    I had a very traumatic medical emergency complete with several surgeries years ago at age 21 - severe blood clotting of nearly half of me and a few other undetected major issues. When I first went into the hospital, I was 160 lbs, very athletic, and at 5'8. This was my weight with the minor swelling of blood clotting. When I was released about a month later, I had stabilized around 175~ lbs, swelling from the incisions and vein trauma, anemic, eating MAYBE 1000 calories a day and sedentary aside from physical therapy (walking the halls). I gained weight while being largely bedridden and on a restricted, high protein diet.

When you have surgeries, you swell and gain fluid (edema). When you are bedridden, your legs and pelvis and other areas gain swelling due to being immobilized. You lose a TON of muscle from this prolonged lifestyle. When your body is recovering from trauma, it holds onto water and produces fluid and takes it's time healing. You had a major life event, plus surgery, and our bodies are not singularly focused on losing weight or processing weight loss.

You should not judge your body by it's healing process. Even well after my hospital stay, I was seen once or twice a week at oncologist to track progress and blood levels. I was barely eating, not sure how much, but the weight was creeping up. 178, 180, 185. I felt HORRIBLE about it, but my doctors urged me to let my body finish sorting itself out - the swelling will subside on it's own, and as long as you keep a healthy diet of what your body needs (protein, fats, nutritious veggies), and move around, you will even out. Medications you might be on post-surgery or treatment can be a factor, too.

Please don't be so hard on yourself and give it time - I wish I would have had someone tell me these things. The best thing you can do is allow your emotional and physical self to heal by getting stronger through walking, eating filling and nutritious meals, and processing your anxieties and thoughts.

Yeah, edema and such will cause significant swelling. I just hope that OP's MD did not tell her that trauma causes her to have a "shell of protection", ya know?

OP, how has the healing process come along now? Hope you're better.