Irrational Pet Peeves

Options
We all have that one thing that drives us nuts but you have no idea why.

For me, it's people who brush their teeth in public washrooms (change rooms is fine). It's a perfectly hygienic activity - why does it gross me out so much?

What are your irrational pet peeves?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We all have that one thing that drives us nuts but you have no idea why.

For me, it's people who brush their teeth in public washrooms (change rooms is fine). It's a perfectly hygienic activity - why does it gross me out so much?

What are your irrational pet peeves?

Well not every place that has a bathroom, has a separate changing room & unless their using Colgate's Wisp (as I publicly do), brushing 1's teeth typically requires the use of a sink; which a changing room doesn't have!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the sound of snoring. It is by the far worst sound on the planet.
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Drinking straw paper rolled up in a ball and on the table while I am eating. I can not stand seeing it. I have no idea why and my family knows it and yep, they do it on purpose.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Really?

I brush my teeth outside my home at least once a day. I have not done it in public restrooms but I have in airports and the office.

If someone has a problem with it, well... I have better hygiene.

Note the title of the thread: Irrational Pet Peeves
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    jajomo0118 wrote: »
    Drinking straw paper rolled up in a ball and on the table while I am eating. I can not stand seeing it. I have no idea why and my family knows it and yep, they do it on purpose.
    Maybe you see it as garbage and garbage does not belong on the table.

Not sure they're doing it on purpose, it's a pretty common, natural thing to do with the wrapper. What do you do with your straw paper?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I can't freaking stand when people hum when they eat. My sister does this and so does my son.

It's better than whistling while you eat.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I hate it when grocery store staff bag my groceries. Just leave my stuff alone! They put things in together that don't belong together. Raw chicken and bread in the same bag? Bacon and fruit? FFS! Sets me off completely into an OCD frenzy.
    That's one reason I love shopping in Aldi. They just throw everything into the cart for me to then wheel it away and bag in a rational and civilized manner.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    When I'm walking really slowly or haven't actually gotten to the street yet but cars stop for me to cross. I understand they're being nice in giving me the right of way, but logically they should just go. They'd be outta there faster, and I wouldn't be facing my irrational pet peeve. And no, I don't walk faster. They saw how slow I was walking when they stopped.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    When people post asking for suggestions and end the post with "Go!" or worse "Annnd Go!!!". I see it more on Facebook than anywhere else.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    threads that get started for the exact same topic as another active thread.... makes my head explode! :#
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    When people post asking for suggestions and end the post with "Go!" or worse "Annnd Go!!!". I see it more on Facebook than anywhere else.

Why is that. And.... go! ;)
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    @distinctlybeautiful I appreciate your logical understanding of the driver/pedestrian relationship, being "nice" often means not following the rules of the road, which is dangerous. The other day, I made my turn because the old guy looked like he was taking his sweet time...he shook his old man fist at me.

Hmmm, irrational pet peeves? Maybe the use of "irrational" in the title of this thread. If something pisses you off, you should understand why. I'm grossed out by seeing others brush their teeth...the saliva, foam, dripping. I have to look away and hum if there's a tooth brushing scene in a movie or show - and is having a conversation while brushing normal?