Miracle Noodles- Shirataki noodles

Options

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Lee can you report back after you've tried them? I found some in my local grocery store, but they're called "Changs
    Wok Ready Lo-Cal Noodles", for any Aussies reading this.

Christine I like them. I ate the fettuccine. I rinsed with a little vinegar for odor. I boiled 2 minutes and dry pan fried for 10 minutes. I had a tomato based tortilla soup.

I'll do the angel hair next. I bought the variety pack.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    I've tried so many brands, and many have the problems of being rubbery, translucent, weird texture. And I guess the shirataki noodles everyone on this thread are eating are probably like that. I found a brand that isn't like that at all. It has a fantastic texture, and is actually the color of pasta. I give mine a quick rinse and I stick it in the microwave to evaporate any liquid left. It also tastes awesome as pasta for italian food. I'm so glad I found this brand.
    I get it on Amazon, and the brand is called Better Than. So they have Better Than Pasta, and Better Than Noodles. The noodles are like angel hair, and the pasta is thicker like spaghetti. I eat them about 5 days a week. They don't have much flavor, so salt is needed, and they take the taste of whatever you put on it. But they are really, really good.

Hi Yvette. I looked them up on Amazon. They are a bit pricey. I may try them later. Thanks for the tip.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't do it right when I tried them before, but I couldn't choke them down. Too rubbery. Too stanky from the package. (Yes, I rinsed them, but caught a whiff that really turned me off). I'd rather spiralize something, maybe shred some cabbage or jicama for my stir fry.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    @leejoyce31 I see it's not available right now, but normally the Better Than is $25 for 6 14oz packages, which comes out to $0.29 per ounce. Way cheaper than the other brands on Amazon. The other brands are $0.40-$0.60 per ounce. So unless you go to an Asian market, those noodles are expensive.

• leejoyce31
    Options
    @leejoyce31 I see it's not available right now, but normally the Better Than is $25 for 6 14oz packages, which comes out to $0.29 per ounce. Way cheaper than the other brands on Amazon. The other brands are $0.40-$0.60 per ounce. So unless you go to an Asian market, those noodles are expensive.

Hi I looked at the price per package around $4 per package. At Whole Foods, they are a couple of dollars. I didn't do it by ounce. At this time, I think I'll just wait on that.

Thanks for your reply.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    I guess I didn't do it right when I tried them before, but I couldn't choke them down. Too rubbery. Too stanky from the package. (Yes, I rinsed them, but caught a whiff that really turned me off). I'd rather spiralize something, maybe shred some cabbage or jicama for my stir fry.

Yeah, they smell like raw seafood or something. I rinsed and added a top full of vinegar and the scent disappeared. Yeah, I think if they aren't prepared correctly, they are yucky. That's why I took the time to both boil and dry pan fry them.

I will eat once a week. I tried the Miracle Noodles brand, but I also have the House Foods brand that has tofu in it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've not tried Miracle Noodles, but I found the House Foods version with tofu were a good substitute for rice noodles. I still would not ever use them to substitute for semolina pasta and similar.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I've not tried Miracle Noodles, but I found the House Foods version with tofu were a good substitute for rice noodles. I still would not ever use them to substitute for semolina pasta and similar.

I've seen some recipes on Hungry Girl and other sites that use them as a substitute for pasta in non-Asian dishes. I'm looking forward to tasting them in one of my Asian dishes though. I think I will like the one with tofu better because it probably gives a better texture than Miracle Noodles brand. I am still going to use the remaining Miracle Noodles that I have and then maybe start with House Foods. I noticed House Foods has a macaroni too. Should be interesting.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are these also called Ramen noodles?
    @Christine_72 ramen is similar to 2 maggi 2 minute noodles.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Aaah ok thanks @cerise_noir , it can get so confusing with the different lingo of OZ V U.S. Those 2 minute noodles pack quite the calorie wallop for such a small amount!!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    being italian and have been making fresh pasta since before i could talk, it goes agaisnt ever fiber in my being lol. i tried to like them but it was so blech.
  • fishshark
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They're traditional Japanese noodles...you should be able to get them in the store in the Asian section...Lol they're being marketed as "Miracle Noodles"...I hope you didn't over pay for clever marketing.

Yeah, that's just the brand name.

I've never heard this before...I've been using Shirataki noodles since forever when I cook Asian dishes...I hope they're not ripping people off and overcharging for clever marketing...
    It's fine. I can afford it. Trust me. Don't worry about it. :)

Not really worried about you...I just find marketing kind of fascinating...kind of like when a food suddenly becomes a "super food" or something...it's been there all along, but suddenly someone comes up with some clever marketing and starts ripping people off.

I can hit up my Asian market and just get shirataki noodles (no idea what brand because the writing is in Japanese)...I'm pretty sure my grocery store has House Foods brand.

Good for you.

so much hostility for someone giving you a useful tip. the internet may not be for you.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    They're traditional Japanese noodles...you should be able to get them in the store in the Asian section...Lol they're being marketed as "Miracle Noodles"...I hope you didn't over pay for clever marketing.

I've never heard this before...I've been using Shirataki noodles since forever when I cook Asian dishes...I hope they're not ripping people off and overcharging for clever marketing...

Not really worried about you...I just find marketing kind of fascinating...kind of like when a food suddenly becomes a "super food" or something...it's been there all along, but suddenly someone comes up with some clever marketing and starts ripping people off.

I can hit up my Asian market and just get shirataki noodles (no idea what brand because the writing is in Japanese)...I'm pretty sure my grocery store has House Foods brand.

Good for you.

so much hostility for someone giving you a useful tip. the internet may not be for you.

Perhaps it's not for you. You know nothing about me. So you can't opine. Have a wonderful day!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I buy mine, actual Asian shirataki noodles, not the "miracle-noodle-marketed-for-the-American-dieter" at a local Asian market. I get 14oz bags for $1.69 on sale. I *think* they run $2.29 not on sale, but I never buy them not on sale so I don't remember the exact price. Hehe. So that runs me $0.12 per ounce. I get one of two brands, these were the ones on sale this time:

h5ynp745nmvc.jpg

EDIT because I can't do math.
  • fishshark
    Options

Good for you.

Perhaps it's not for you. You know nothing about me. So you can't opine. Have a wonderful day!

and now even more hostility.... I truly hope you have a wonderful day!
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Good for you.

and now even more hostility.... I truly hope you have a wonderful day!
    This is petty. I will no longer respond to you. Type as much as you like.
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Hi. I purchased the better than rice. I noticed this brand has calories. Do you know if they add tofu or something?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Aaah ok thanks @cerise_noir , it can get so confusing with the different lingo of OZ V U.S. Those 2 minute noodles pack quite the calorie wallop for such a small amount!!
    They sure do. I still like them, though!
    For some reason, my kindle added an extra '2' in my last post.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi. I purchased the better than rice. I noticed this brand has calories. Do you know if they add tofu or something?

I can't answer the tofu question, but even the "original" ones have calories. It's just a low enough amount that it doesn't have to be labeled per serving. The bags I buy have 19-23 calories for the entire 14oz bag. The weights vary a bit. Not that it really matters when it only varies by 4 calories.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love them. They're my favorite things in the world and are super great if you are good with sauces. I definitely understand people disliking the smell. I just run them under water in a strainer while I prepare a sauce. They're the staple for all of my pasta dishes and ramen dishes. Reminds me of tofu- basically flavorless and requires good spice knowledge. (Technical term there, spice knowledge.)