Perks of becoming a vegetarian?

Options
What are the health benefits of being a vegetarian?

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Not much....
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    No mad cow disease worries? I mean, I am one, but I don't see a vegetarian diet as categorically better than a diet that includes meat. It's just the diet I choose (and by diet, I mean intake, not like a going-on-a-diet diet).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree the main perk is for the animals.

Maybe less food poisoning? Otherwise, i have no idea.

You can still eat all sorts of high-calorie and "unhealthy" foods while being vegetarian. Just because it doesn't have meat doesn't mean it's healthy or fits into your diet.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I agree the main perk is for the animals.

Maybe less food poisoning? Otherwise, i have no idea.

You can still eat all sorts of high-calorie and "unhealthy" foods while being vegetarian. Just because it doesn't have meat doesn't mean it's healthy or fits into your diet.

I totally agree with all of this! But just wanted to say that to my knowledge (and personal experience), food poisoning from unwashed fruit and veg is not exactly uncommon ;):(

Oh, i've had it two or three times in my life (i've been a vegetarian since i was born). But my family and loved ones seem to have it far more often as a result of undercooked meats or contaminated meats. That's not to say i trust anyone to handle food properly and cook everything to temperature. :lol:
  • ChicagoVeggie
    ChicagoVeggie Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Here is a good article on health benefits. If you have any questions on going veggie, feel free to message me.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/vegetarian-foods-powerful-for-health
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    The perks are for the animals.

This.

Obviously you can eat a really healthy diet as a vegetarian and eat at a calorie deficit and lose weight, but that's not automatic from giving up meat. You can also gain weight and eat an unhealthy diet.

Similarly, you can gain or lose weight and eat healthfully or non-healthfully while eating meat.

I'm all for vegetarianism if someone feels ethically called to do it or prefers that diet for them, for whatever reason.
  • MarsDeLosRios007
    MarsDeLosRios007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are benefits health-wise to cutting out red meat, but if you're doing it just to lose weight, you're going to struggle and be disappointed. Generally health or trend vegetarians just quit, while those of us who have been veggie or pesca since childhood or those who do it because they love animals or dislike meat don't struggle staying that way. It's effortless and natural. I'd suggest cutting out red meat first and moving eventually to poultry.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    You get to act morally superior to those of us with more muscle mass, more B vitamins, more complete proteins and more Iron in their diets.

The reason you can ask this question is because we ate meat. Period.
    Bigger jaws (gorillas, chimps) required bigger jaw muscles; because we had to crush hard roots, etc.
    The switch to meat allowed that muscle to grow weaker, which put less pressure on the brain case and skull.
    This allowed the skull to grow and therefore the brain as well. It is simple anthropology.
    Now your "bigger brain" is asking if you should give up meat... Wow.

Seriously, re-think it. My wife was a vegetarian, then her neurologist told her to at least eat fish.
    I told her to for years, but I'm not her doctor...
    She still had to have 3 blood transfusions this year to treat anemia. Women are low on Iron to begin with.

giphy.gif

mdaucfw93jsr.jpg

I don't know what "giphy.gif" means, but if you are asking for "proof" because of a lack of familiarity with anatomy, biology or anthropology, then here you go:

See the hollow ridge behind the eye and below the orbital socket?
    The jaw and jaw muscles go sort of "under and in" it.
    If you don't know anything about human anatomy you can feel it on your own face.
    Look at how large the gap is on the orang is, compared to your own face.
    And that is an orangutan, not a gorilla.