Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    Never had one. Don't plan on getting one any time soon but when I'm older I might need them.

I don't view vaccines as being for yourself, they are for the community. Its a societal thing. I don't get a flu shot because I am super worried that I am going to get deathly ill from the flu, I get a flu shot because I view it as part of the protective shield helping stave off potentially life threatening diseases from the community as a whole. Not because I am old but because I might be around people who are.

I get the TDAP vaccine because I'm occassionally around children, not because I'm worried about pertussus for myself. I get the flu shot for similar reasons.

I view it as a civic duty. Unless I have a very good reason to not get one I get one and to date I haven't had a good reason to not get one. I have medical insurance so its 100% free, so why wouldn't I?

With everything its a cost:benefit analysis

Cost: No money. No risk of illness (other posters are right you cannot get sick from a flu vaccine).
    Benefit: Possibly avoid the flu yourself. Avoid transmitting the flu to others.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Pretty much my thoughts as well...it's the primary reason we had to get them annually when I was in the military.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I get mine for free at the pharmacy. I have to wait 2 weeks to get mine as I just got my infliximab (remicade) infusion and they recommend it getting it within 2 weeks of it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Not for or against. I haven't had the flu or gotten sick in the last 5 years now (along with my DD and wife), but did have to get the flu shot for a couple of years because it was mandatory when I worked at a Wellness Center.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fifteen years ago I had a very bad flu that ruined a muscle in my shoulder. Once I found out it could do that, I went for the flu shot every year. Hubby too.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I am pro vaccination but within reason, I follow nothing blindly! I had had influenza vaccinations, until I was 14 years old. I found via the internet over a decade later, that that year the prediction; wasn't correct & thus I received a vaccination, for a strain that didn't exist but was left vulnerable for the 1 that did! I got the flu, projectile vomited; for 10 days straight & had to be hospitalized. I never made a full recovery, I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), with intensity levels so varied & unpredictable that it's rendered me unemployable. I haven't had the flu since, so no I won't risk receiving it again; unless I ever get the flu again & then I'll only receive it, if/when the prediction; matches the strain. Also a bad batch was causing narcolepsy, so I'd also wait awhile; to ensure that it's good otherwise!

That can certainly happen but if you wait to see if the prediction matches the actual outbreak before getting vaccinated it's too late at that point. That is why the have to make a prediction in the first place.

While true, many people get the flu regardless & make full recoveries!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm against them for me personally because the one year I got a flu shot, I got the worst case of flu I've probably ever had about a week after getting the shot. I rarely ever get sick, but I sure did that year. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I've never gotten one again since.

I'm not at all against them in general, not against them being offered, not against other people getting them if they so choose. I'm not an anti-vaxxer and have no tinfoil hat theories about them.

My best guess is you were exposed before you got the shot so the shot did you absolutely no good in that case. It takes up to 2 weeks for the vaccine to protect you. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I forget. I've had the flu twice in the past 30 years...remember how that felt I guess I should go get poked.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm against them for me personally because the one year I got a flu shot, I got the worst case of flu I've probably ever had about a week after getting the shot. I rarely ever get sick, but I sure did that year. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I've never gotten one again since.

I'm not at all against them in general, not against them being offered, not against other people getting them if they so choose. I'm not an anti-vaxxer and have no tinfoil hat theories about them.

My best guess is you were exposed before you got the shot so the shot did you absolutely no good in that case. It takes up to 2 weeks for the vaccine to protect you. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I forget. I've had the flu twice in the past 30 years...remember how that felt I guess I should go get poked.

Either that or it was one of those years where the shot was not a good match. Also, the shot is not 100% effective, but usually you will get a milder case in that situation. My daughter got the flu a few years back even though she had been vaccinated, but it was fairly mild. And she still gets vaccinated.
This discussion has been closed.