Perks of becoming a vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% vegetarian but I eat a substantively plant based diet...I eat vegetarian 3-4x per week. Keep in mind that any diet can be as healthy as you want to make it. I have a far better overall diet than some of my full time vegetarian friends as my diet revolves largely around whole foods and minimally processed foods...I have some vegetarian friends that basically live off of junk food most of the time.

I don't really think there's a substantive health benefit if you're comparing an omnivore and a vegetarian provided the overall diet is largely whole foods based...an omnivore with a largely whole food based diet is going to be eating plenty of veggies and fruit and good fats, etc. If you're comparing an omnivore who is eating the SAD to a whole foods vegetarian, that a whole other story...but really, you're also comparing apples to oranges there.

If you think being a vegetarian will auto default to weight loss, you are sorely mistaken. Even though my vegetarian meals are very healthy, they can actually be more calorie dense than my omnivore days if I'm not careful. To ensure I'm getting the nutrition I need, I eat a lot of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and whole grains...these things can be very calorie dense vs grilling some kind of lean protein and serving with a big side of veg for example...

I guess you really need to consider why you're doing it. For my wife and I there were a couple of reasons we went part time veg...

1. We were eating a lot of meat and became more concerned with the sourcing of that meat from both an environmental POV as well as treatment of the animals and the hormones and antibiotics and whatnot being pumped into them. We buy locally sourced beef and chicken and wild caught salmon and cod (frozen...I live in the desert) and it gets really expensive when you're eating meat all the time.

2. I have borderline high uric acid and have had gout flares here and there since I was in my 20s...more meat just ups my uric acid and increases my odds of a flare...I do much better eating a more plant based diet.

some good points here...

Most vegetarians I know personally eat horrific amounts of "junk" food and processed stuff...I looked at the ingredients in their "chicken burgers" WTF...

and no they aren't slim folks...sorry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Wow. Talk about denial.

Well, then here it is an Italian newspaper:

"Known as the “Savino law”, it aims to “stigmatise the reckless and dangerous eating behaviour imposed by parents ... to the detriment of minors”, reports Italian newspaper La Repubblica."

http://www.repubblica.it/salute/alimentazione/2016/08/07/news/proposta_di_legge_fi_per_punire_genitori_che_impongono_dieta_vegana_a_figli-145539707/

I'm done with this thread.

"Italy isn't seriously moving to make veganism illegal for children and I'm not aware of any government that is attempting to do so at this time." -- FAIL

A proposed law is a "moving to make veganism illegal for children" where I come from.

No, it's not. It was discussed at great length in the other thread and I suggest that the cites you are finding are from August (and the whole thing is off topic in this thread).

The law would not (contrary to the claims of some vegans in the US and UK who had not read the law) have outlawed all vegan diets, let alone vegetarian ones, but ones that were lacking adequate nutrients (and same with other diets that did). And it was pushed by one right-wing politician (Savino), and not taken seriously in Italy from what I found.

I made a comparison with one Congress member doing something before. Perhaps you aren't familiar with how common it is for things not expected (or with any chance) to become law to be proposed?

Anyway, I'm happy to discuss it in the other thread, and will stop derailing OP's topic.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I guess you really need to consider why you're doing it. For my wife and I there were a couple of reasons we went part time veg...

1. We were eating a lot of meat and became more concerned with the sourcing of that meat from both an environmental POV as well as treatment of the animals and the hormones and antibiotics and whatnot being pumped into them. We buy locally sourced beef and chicken and wild caught salmon and cod (frozen...I live in the desert) and it gets really expensive when you're eating meat all the time.

2. I have borderline high uric acid and have had gout flares here and there since I was in my 20s...more meat just ups my uric acid and increases my odds of a flare...I do much better eating a more plant based diet.

Ditto with me. Two days eating red meat and I end up with a gout flareup. The sourcing issue is important too; there's too much crap in our food and eating locally sourced meat is expensive -- plant protein sources are not.

To me, those are the two major health reasons for my cutting back on meat intake. Religious and ethical reasons are a different matter -- and frankly, no one is going to convert anyone in threads like this.

I do get ethical twinges about eating vertebrates higher than amphibians. I could see cutting mammals and birds out of my diet for ethical reasons but I have no problem eating fish, reptiles, or amphibians. As of now, I'm an occasional beef/pork eater and more frequently a poultry/fish eater.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

Ditto with me. Two days eating red meat and I end up with a gout flareup. The sourcing issue is important too; there's too much crap in our food and eating locally sourced meat is expensive -- plant protein sources are not.

To me, those are the two major health reasons for my cutting back on meat intake. Religious and ethical reasons are a different matter -- and frankly, no one is going to convert anyone in threads like this.

I do get ethical twinges about eating vertebrates higher than amphibians. I could see cutting mammals and birds out of my diet for ethical reasons but I have no problem eating fish, reptiles, or amphibians. As of now, I'm an occasional beef/pork eater and more frequently a poultry/fish eater.

Yup...we usually have fish a couple times per week and a chicken dish on the weekend. Sometimes I think I could give up red meat entirely...and then a get a crazy craving for a pot roast or short ribs or something. I'm usually ok if I keep the red meat to a minimum though...unfortunately too much shrimp is also a no-no for me...I can get away with a little, but too much and my right foot will just about explode.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    You get to act morally superior to those of us with more muscle mass, more B vitamins, more complete proteins and more Iron in their diets.

The reason you can ask this question is because we ate meat. Period.
    Bigger jaws (gorillas, chimps) required bigger jaw muscles; because we had to crush hard roots, etc.
    The switch to meat allowed that muscle to grow weaker*, which put less pressure on the brain case and skull.
    This allowed the skull to grow and therefore the brain as well. It is simple anthropology.
    Now your "bigger brain" is asking if you should give up meat... Wow.

Seriously, re-think it. My wife was a vegetarian, then her neurologist told her to at least eat fish.
    I told her to for years, but I'm not her doctor...
    She still had to have 3 blood transfusions this year to treat anemia. Women are low on Iron to begin with.

I'm an anemic omnivore who has to supplement to stay in Low Normal.

I'm taking Iron Bisglycinate now.

The VA had given me two presumably cheap forms of iron that did not prevent hair loss and fatigue.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Seriously, re-think it. My wife was a vegetarian, then her neurologist told her to at least eat fish.
    She still had to have 3 blood transfusions this year to treat anemia. Women are low on Iron to begin with.

I see your anecdote and raise you my own.

I've been vegan for more than 7 years now and my bloodwork is great. I consult with my physician regularly. I pay more attention to what I eat now and my iron is actually better than it was when I was occasionally eating meat.

Vegetarianism and veganism is not a magic bullet for health, and I'm not claiming that it is. But it's also not a death sentence for women as you make it sound.

It is possible to eat a veg diet and live a healthy life. It is possible to eat a diet with meat and eggs and dairy and live a healthy life. The end.

I've been vegan for more than 7 years now and my bloodwork is great. I consult with my physician regularly. I pay more attention to what I eat now and my iron is actually better than it was when I was occasionally eating meat.

Vegetarianism and veganism is not a magic bullet for health, and I'm not claiming that it is. But it's also not a death sentence for women as you make it sound.

It is possible to eat a veg diet and live a healthy life. It is possible to eat a diet with meat and eggs and dairy and live a healthy life. The end.

and I will raise you this one.

Vegans and vegetarians who are female are at a greater risk for experiencing issues during pregnancy which can then be passed to their children.

The inability to absorb certain nutrients while pregnant and passing it onto your kids where it's permanent for them is one of the biggest reasons not be a vegetarian/vegan for a woman.

I believe it was fat that couldn't be absorbed but will find the link to show for sure...as well b12 etc.

https://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/

this isn't the link but see if I can find it.

The article you posted is completely biased as Chris resser is a man who is incapable of knowing what it's like to be pregnant. And, I get he posted resources, but not every person is the same. With a healthy pregnancy you need to exercise, take you daily prenatals, eat right and with that being said you need to know how to use proportions, you also need to moderate your stress levels, take frequent naps, don't do any heavy lifting. There are SO MANY factors that also have to be taken into consideration to having a healthy pregnancy

Also, if you've ever taken a women's health and wellness class you would know that any nutrients a baby is lacking or anything else it needs, it takes it directly from the mother whether they are vegetarian or not, which also goes to say that genetics also play a role in how the baby will turn out

I know lots of women who are vegetarian and vegan who have had a healthy pregnancy and healthy babies. Just because you're vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean you're at a higher risk for your prgnancy to lack nutrients cause the same thing can happen to a woman that is a carnivore.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Am_I_Pregnant/hic_Good_Nutrition_During_Pregnancy_for_You_and_Your_Baby/hic_Nutrition_During_Pregnancy_for_Vegetarians

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    longing for a juicy steak.....
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »

Vegans and vegetarians who are female are at a greater risk for experiencing issues during pregnancy which can then be passed to their children.

The inability to absorb certain nutrients while pregnant and passing it onto your kids where it's permanent for them is one of the biggest reasons not be a vegetarian/vegan for a woman.

I believe it was fat that couldn't be absorbed but will find the link to show for sure...as well b12 etc.

https://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/

The article you posted is completely biased as Chris resser is a man who is incapable of knowing what it's like to be pregnant. And, I get he posted resources, but not every person is the same. With a healthy pregnancy you need to exercise, take you daily prenatals, eat right and with that being said you need to know how to use proportions, you also need to moderate your stress levels, take frequent naps, don't do any heavy lifting. There are SO MANY factors that also have to be taken into consideration to having a healthy pregnancy

Also, if you've ever taken a women's health and wellness class you would know that any nutrients a baby is lacking or anything else it needs, it takes it directly from the mother whether they are vegetarian or not, which also goes to say that genetics also play a role in how the baby will turn out

I know lots of women who are vegetarian and vegan who have had a healthy pregnancy and healthy babies. Just because you're vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean you're at a higher risk for your prgnancy to lack nutrients cause the same thing can happen to a woman that is a carnivore.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Am_I_Pregnant/hic_Good_Nutrition_During_Pregnancy_for_You_and_Your_Baby/hic_Nutrition_During_Pregnancy_for_Vegetarians

not so much with the bolded....

That wasn't the link I wanted to post as I haven't found it yet...but my point is this.

There is an issue women who are vegan/vegetarian have while pregnant in absorbing certain fat if not all and if that isn't bad enough you can pass it onto your child and with them it's permanent...not temporary.

Along with B12 being too low which prenatles don't cover) if we were meant to be vegetarian we wouldn't have canine teeth for ripping meat...we wouldn't need the nutrients you can get from meat and not veggies...

being vegetarian/vegan is fine but don't paint it for somethign it's not...it is not natural.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

That wasn't the link I wanted to post as I haven't found it yet...but my point is this.

There is an issue women who are vegan/vegetarian have while pregnant in absorbing certain fat if not all and if that isn't bad enough you can pass it onto your child and with them it's permanent...not temporary.

Along with B12 being too low which prenatles don't cover) if we were meant to be vegetarian we wouldn't have canine teeth for ripping meat...we wouldn't need the nutrients you can get from meat and not veggies...

being vegetarian/vegan is fine but don't paint it for somethign it's not...it is not natural.

I get that humans are omnivores, but to say we're "meant to eat meat" is wrong. We evolved over time. Not everyone has canines. And, not everyone can eat meat because of their health. I am one of those people who cannot eat meat for my health as it will cause me to become sick. My body does not provide the right enzymes in it to break down meat. So again I'm not making it for something it's not. I'm stating the facts that just cause you're vegetarian or vegan does not necessarily mean you will lack nutrients,omega 3's, or protiens in pregnancy or not.

I know that vegetarianism isn't for everyone, but I'm so tired of people trying to make up excuses or claiming that it's bad for your health from lack of iron, protein, and other nutrients just cause it didn't come from something that pumps blood through it. Plus B12's aren't that hard to consume they're in rice, dairy, nuts, soy products, nutritional yeast, and science has come a long way since then, so now there's supplements you can take and almost every store sells vitamins including B12 capsules.

• SezxyStef
    Options

I get that humans are omnivores, but to say we're "meant to eat meat" is wrong. We evolved over time. Not everyone has canines. And, not everyone can eat meat because of their health. I am one of those people who cannot eat meat for my health as it will cause me to become sick. My body does not provide the right enzymes in it to break down meat. So again I'm not making it for something it's not. I'm stating the facts that just cause you're vegetarian or vegan does not necessarily mean you will lack nutrients,omega 3's, or protiens in pregnancy or not.

I know that vegetarianism isn't for everyone, but I'm so tired of people trying to make up excuses or claiming that it's bad for your health from lack of iron, protein, and other nutrients just cause it didn't come from something that pumps blood through it. Plus B12's aren't that hard to consume they're in rice, dairy, nuts, soy products, nutritional yeast, and science has come a long way since then, so now there's supplements you can take and almost every store sells vitamins including B12 capsules.

I'd like to see the number on average of people who don't have canines...(without intervention of course|)

regardless I am not saying that eating meat is the end all to be all but I do know that due to being vegetarian that there are women who have caused health issues to their children...lifelong issues...where they can't eat certain things because their mothers were vegetarians (their mother suffered during pregnancy with a short term illness due to her not eating meat)

I know that unless you are careful people as a vegetarian/vegan have harder time with getting a balanced diet...

don't get me wrong...I have lots of friends who are vegetarians and I cook specifically for them...but they are vegetarian for moral reasons...animal rights etc...
    I do not for one minute think it's something for a "diet" to lose weight etc.

If you are doing it for a valid good reason have at I support you...otherwise..smh.
  • Aderynyreda
    Aderynyreda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the number on average of people who don't have canines...(without intervention of course|)

Surely you're joking?

First of all, pretty much all mammals have "canine" teeth. Including herbivores.

Besides, our canines are not at all adapted for eating meat as they are way too small - just go look at the teeth of an omnivore like a dog and you'll see what real omnivore canines and teeth look like and how capable they are of easily tearing through meat. If anything, our teeth are indicative of us being herbivorous or on the herbivorous side of omnivorism (herbivore-carnivore is a spectrum, after all).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Whether you do it for ethics or your health, the only way to know how it works for you is to try it for a month or so. Maybe find an online group with experienced vegetarians to get a little coaching? Also, if you have a gp/internist, it might be worth touching base with that person to let him/her know your intention. You might get really valuable insight and advice specific to you.