When did your tastebuds start to change?

Options
2»

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My taste buds have changed in the way that I'll actually eat vegetables and like them.

Regular soda is too sweet for me, but I drink diet daily.
    I still like fast food and stuff like boxed cookies.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    They don't. That's just your brain.

Actually they do change. They definitely change as you age.

For some people, I guess. I wasn't a picky eater as a kid and I'm not a picky eater as an adult. I still like (and dislike) all the same things I did from clear back to my childhood. I honestly can't think of one thing I didn't eat back then that I eat now, or vice versa.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Five years in and my tastes haven't changed. I've changed my habits instead.

I still like pop tarts and Swiss cake rolls, I just don't buy them any more.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of pop anymore because its too acidic and sweet now.

I don't get cravings for fast food, but I still eat it once or twice a week. It still tastes the same.

I don't crave snack cakes and candy like I used to. I've cut back on processed sugar junk like that and I just don't want it as often now.
  • ChicagoVeggie
    ChicagoVeggie Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    N/A
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Never. I eat the same as ever, just smaller portions. I do like green peppers more now than I was a kid, but that's it.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I love junk food. In almost four years of monitoring my calories, my taste buds haven't changed a bit.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My taste buds aren't going to change, because I'm on a diet where I indulge in fast food when I have burned enough calories.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My tastebuds also have not changed, my brain has...some things are not worth the calorie/salt count and sometimes they are:).

True story - I was a teen back in the day of the Jack n the Box rumor that the hamburgers where made with kangaroo meat. I got a burger took one bite and it was gross. I heard the rumor about 2 weeks or so later and I never ate there again ever! lol

Hummm I've not eaten meat in about 4 months for various reasons and my Texas BBQ roots call out to me at times. Good thing I live far far away:).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    About a year. Junk food still tastes good, but I just cant eat a ton of it and not get an upset stomach. like i cant eat a doughnut for breakfast and pizza for lunch mcdonalds dinner and feel ok, I get sick. The biggest change was I just LOVE veggies now and crave them. A lot of the time steamed broccoli sounds better than a burger just because I genuinely love the taste of fresh veggies. I never used to. I really don't crave junk food either. I used to get cravings for mcdonalds and HAD to have it, but I never get any insane food cravings for junk/fast food anymore. I eat it sometimes because I do like the taste, but not often.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    They don't. That's just your brain.

Actually they do change. They definitely change as you age.

For some people, I guess. I wasn't a picky eater as a kid and I'm not a picky eater as an adult. I still like (and dislike) all the same things I did from clear back to my childhood. I honestly can't think of one thing I didn't eat back then that I eat now, or vice versa.

It might be more preparation than preference. I thought I hated eggplant and asparagus when I was a kid. Was introduced to these as an adult well prepared and love them. My mom's cooking sucked kitten.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It might be more preparation than preference. I thought I hated eggplant and asparagus when I was a kid. Was introduced to these as an adult well prepared and love them. My mom's cooking sucked kitten.

Ah, yes, fond memories of Mom's leaden meat loaf, shoe-leather liver, pork chops so thoroughly cooked you could break them. Oh, and the color coordinated meals. Fish, potatoes and cauliflower. Salmon, carrots and sweet potatoes. Summer squash was always thoroughly boiled and then mashed into a watery slurry. Mom's a dear woman thoroughly enjoying the dinners she now gets in her CCRC's dining room.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It took a few weeks for me to stop craving carbage, and by the end of the first year the taste of most of it didn't taste good any more.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    taste buds not changed yet. still cant stand olives, avocado and cottage cheese.
    mcdonalds i eat but not every week same with kfc. still enjoy them.
    oh well
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My taste buds are weird with some things. I go through phases where I adore coffee, and then I suddenly loathe it. I'm in a loathing spell right now.

I've never liked anything overly sweet, even as a child. This isn't to say that there aren't sweet things I do like. I just don't like super sugary items.

I also was never overly fond of fast food, except for McDonald's fries. They have gluten in them, so I can't have them, and there are better french fries out there anyway. I also appreciate a good baked potato just as much and that's much easier to fit into my plan regularly.

So... I don't know. My tastes have evolved over the years of just trying different foods. I tend to naturally like healthier foods, but I do like some treat-type items as well.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    When I went vegan years ago it took about a year for me to notice that dairy and eggs now completely repulsed me the smell of dairy products now just makes me feel ill same with eggs

I lost my taste for fast food when I went vegetarian a good 12 years ago no desire at all for any of it . If I want burgers ,fries,burritos I'll either make my own or go to a vegan restaurant and get the good stuff.

My tolerance of sugar has dramatically decreased as well .I no longer want heaps of candy like I used to frequently eat... although I've never lost my taste for ice cream it's just changed to the vegan kind
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i went off chocolate somewhere back there . . . i'm not even sure when it happened. idk, maybe it's a sign that my been-there-done-that t-shirt is in the mail from the menopause gods.

but, yeah. it's a little bit weird because my head still remembers what the chocolate fans are experiencing. but it just isn't there anymore. chocolate's genuinely turned into this thing i might nibble a small corner of if i were being polite, but that i'd just as soon not have to deal with at all.