What fitness equipment would you suggest investing in?

Options
What fitness equipment would you see fit as a good investment? I've already got some things I plan on getting. But, I would like to know what other stuff should I take into consideration for an at home gym that is effective, yet is not going to clutter my garage, or break my pocket.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's going to depend substantially on what you want to do/like to do.

The only thing I would really like to have is an Olympic platform and barbell and bumper plates...

k-qLaTF-wj40lVru0o_bVsbJDkELH-JChGr-_nEDkSfFtaE4XXCSOf0aAfk=-w451-h298

Otherwise I primarily cycle and prefer to be outdoors...when I need to be indoors I have a trainer I can hook my bike up to...

kurt-kinetic-trainer-3.jpg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    We have a treadmill and I have a bunch of free weights. The treadmill is wonderful for me as I hate the heat and live in Southern California. I would never work out if I had to go sweat outside in the sun. I am going back and forth on whether I want to add a weight bench to my gear or not, but I figured out how to do a version of a chest press with a door and a band, and I don't desperately need to do any isolation moves so...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Running shoes...
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Power cage, bench, free weights
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running shoes...

That would be my option as well, but the key question is what you want to do...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Otherwise I primarily cycle and prefer to be outdoors...when I need to be indoors I have a trainer I can hook my bike up to...

are the dogs extra? :p

i can't imagine life without deadlifts by now, so i'd second the platform and bar with the bumper plates. but it really depends on what you want to do. i think if you don't know that yet, then you're sort of just wandering around in the aisles and guessing.

unless you have a lot of spare cash and free space, i think it's worth waiting to find out what you want first.

• renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Okay these are the things I currently have on my list of things to get: a lightweight treadmill that is foldable (It gets hot here too. We just dropped from triple digits this month), stationary pedals for when I'm at my desk, a basic kettle bell and dumbbell set, jump rope, a new yoga mat (mine is worn down now), and I was about to add a recumbent bike too.

I don't think I will ever dead lift tbh.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would investigate strength training programs first. This can help build your foundation. (Strong Curves, SL5x5, NROL...)

A Landmine sleeve and Olympic barbell/weights may be a good first purchase. This can allow for a variety of training (I.e., strength and bodybuilding). I would also get a kettlebell and a couple dumbbells (challenging weight). Then add a cage and bench.

I go in phases with cardio machines. They aren't necessary for me in my climate but they can be helpful. Treadmill acts like a trainer for me with it's set programs. Elliptical is a nice break for joints. Rower is nice if you like a sitting position. Any of these machines can be used with interval training too.
  • renae161
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We only have 1 gym in town and it's really small and mostly just treadmills in there. My old gym was really far too and while I'd like a gym with a pool like my old one had, sadly there are none that are in the area or nearby me and I dont want to waste the gas driving 2 hours away just to use the gym for an hour at most and getting stuck in traffic coming back.

I live near the trails too so I take my dogs out when I go. Plus, I hate waiting for someone to get off a machine I like and I feel it's more santiary if it's at home.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    Okay these are the things I currently have on my list of things to get: a lightweight treadmill that is foldable (It gets hot here too. We just dropped from triple digits this month), stationary pedals for when I'm at my desk, a basic kettle bell and dumbbell set, jump rope, a new yoga mat (mine is worn down now), and I was about to add a recumbent bike too.

Don't buy a treadmill if your main concern is lightweight and storage. Be deliberate. Make a commitment. Choose a tool that helps you train best. Center it in your room. There are so many machines out there with horrible range of motion that will just have you using them as a clothes rack.

And maybe opt to stand while working instead of pedaling.

There are lots of variations to the deadlift. Never say never.
  • renae161
    edited October 2016
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    renae161 wrote: »

Don't buy a treadmill if your main concern is lightweight and storage. Be deliberate. Make a commitment. Choose a tool that helps you train best. Center it in your room. There are so many machines out there with horrible range of motion that will just have you using them as a clothes rack.

And maybe opt to stand while working instead of pedaling.

There are lots of variations to the deadlift. Never say never.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Electric-Treadmill-Folding-Motorized/dp/B017SS2A3G

This was the one I was going to buy as it doesnt take up much space. I don't like going too late at night on the trail cause there aren't as many lights out there as I think there should be and Summer days are just out of the question.

I already stand when I'm doing my work sometimes. I purchased one of those adjustable table desks, but I'm not going to stand the whole time and would like to pedal during the times I'm sitting so I'm still engaging in some bit of exercises that involves my calves being worked out.

I really just want to know what would be a wise investment and see what other's have in their in home gyms that way I can see if I actually will use what they have or not.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Does it keep track of your resistance and how fast you go and tell you how many calories you burned?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of sports equipment ends up in our local Goodwill, always worth checking. I saw a bench in there, an olympic chair of some kind, a bunch of gazelles and one of those little foot cycle things for under your desk or whatever.
  • renae161
    Options
    Our good will only sells clothes and pictures. We got so excited when they had their grand opening, but then when we walked in they only had clothes and pictures and didnt have any furniture or dishware. It was disappointing, but I check online thrifts quite often.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Does it keep track of your resistance and how fast you go and tell you how many calories you burned?

Depends very much on the model of turbo, and the existing instrumentation on the bike.

My turbo is pretty simple, but the bike has speed and cadence sensors that can pair to either my laptop or Garmin Edge head-end. If you have cash to splash then a power meter is useful.

I'm thinking about investing in a mid range turbo with more ability to control it from my laptop.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I recommend TRX - suspensional bodyweight trainer... Great thing!

Was gonna say the same thing!