Alcohol had to go

2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    With one night's exception, I can count the drinks I've had in the past 6 months on one hand. Coincidentally (or not) the same time frame where I started making some really significant progress. Do I miss drinking? Yes. Am I'm happier being sober and 40 pound lighter. YES!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Yes. Me too.

I gave up wine. And margaritas. Yes, it was hard. Been 15 months. Finally I can have a glass now and then and not need to finish the bottle.

I'd rather eat my calories.

And yes, if I drink, I gave myself permission eat more junk. Vicious circle.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Great post! Refreshing! <3
    Alcohol is a poison, just like sugar, both cause addiction and are the culprit of many health problems.
    Wishing more people to get on with the programme. :smile:
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited October 2016
    I think it has been about 3 months now for me now and I have lost 16 pounds. I'm hitting everything else hard, too, but cutting out alcohol was the real game-changer. Actually, I'm just noticing that I can't even remember my start date, for when I cut it out. I promised myself to go six months at least... I'm starting to think about whether or not I should go longer, or if I reintroduce alcohol, with what guidelines. Because right now, I remember that I love to drink, but I can't actually remember why!
  • elleelle03
    elleelle03 Posts: 63 Member
    It's been about 3 weeks for me and no alcohol, my goal being Halloween. Heavy weekend drinker and I can actually say when I drink I don't eat, not so in my younger years. The next day I'm a few pounds down but that's always due to dehydration and regardless of a headache or not I'm sluggish with no energy so no exercise and I don't crave an apple or salad always something heavy with gravy or grease. For that reason I'm working on changes, maybe I'll have the occasional drink and maybe not. Now waking with clarity, energy and no guilt on the weekends is my motivator.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    I'm 10 days alcohol free! I hope being able to stick with it the same way you have. It's made me feel a lot better and a whole lot healthier!! Way to go!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Alcohol is a poison, just like sugar, both cause addiction and are the culprit of many health problems.

LOL, this post is so wrong on so many levels..

I drink on weekends only and have not had an issue with it impacting my goals but I am glad that you found something that works for you, OP.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Such a timely post for me! I've been on and off this site a long time. I just started back this week. One of my main promises to myself was "no more drinking"... the wine after a bad day at work was killing my goals, and I would give up. SO..... my last glass of wine was Saturday night.
    As I was just sitting at my desk on a cold, rainy day I was thinking about how nice a glass of red would be. Although .. that would follow with another. And one more. Wasted calories.
    SO anyway.. thanks for the motivation! I think some can handle fitting the alcohol into their calorie limit. It just has not worked for me that way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Ugh. I've been trying to get myself to make this decision too. I don't "allow" myself sugared soda, or much juice because I feel like it's a "waste" of calories. Why do I allow myself alcohol? Especially in quantities that have very little effect (no buzz)? If I'm just having one beer at dinner, how is that different than a grape soda?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Hey hey now. I am all for people cutting out alcohol if they desire, and I will support them either way. But someone better not come over to me and tell me I have to cut it out to be healthy
  • emilysusana
    edited October 2016
    sardelsa wrote: »

Hey hey now. I am all for people cutting out alcohol if they desire, and I will support them either way. But someone better not come over to me and tell me I have to cut it out to be healthy

That definitely wasn't my motivation for posting this. I needed the change and it was what finally got me moving toward my goals in a sustainable way. I hope to be able to drink sometimes eventually, and I know plenty of people drink alcohol without it sabotaging their goals. It just took me a long time to admit it (combined with my habits and choices) was sabotaging mine.
  • emilysusana
    ?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

That definitely wasn't my motivation for posting this. I needed the change and it was what finally got me moving toward my goals in a sustainable way. I hope to be able to drink sometimes eventually, and I know plenty of people drink alcohol without it sabotaging their goals. It just took me a long time to admit it (combined with my habits and choices) was sabotaging mine.

No worries OP I was referring to the member quoted.
    You ultimately have to do what is best for you. If that is abstinence from alcohol well I think that is great especially if you feel better and are reaching your goals.. keep up the great work!
  • jessicaconine
    jessicaconine Posts: 10 Member
    I fully agree that alcohol free periods have helped me with weight loss, but this has been short lived. Because I track everything, I mentally associate "I have extra calories left because I didn't drink" with "let me just fill in those extra calories with snacks yay treat yo self!" It's a very tricky thing to overcome, especially when my willpower and discipline to eat well starts waning.
  • Bluckii
    Bluckii Posts: 9 Member
    It could have been me writing this! Keep it up! I know how hard it is to give up alcohol, i am not quite there yet but working on it.