200+ below calorie goal but no weight loss?

Options
For the past week I have easily come under my calorie goal by 200-300 calories each day, I have even done cardio most of those days but I have only seen a 2 pound GAIN and bit loss. What gives?! My calories consist of mostly protein and veggies. I eat a piece of toast and a 1/4 of carbs a day so I am not filling up on carbs. I also eat very little sugar. I never meet that mark. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Replies

• janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal in the first place? If you're going below 1200 daily, that's very unhealthy. The calorie goal that MFP gave you is already at a deficit, so you're supposed to reach it, and going 200-300 under every day is really high.

Have you only been at this for a week? How much is that "bit loss"? That 2 pound gain might just be water weight/fluctuation instead. Plus, a week is not long enough to see determine whether or not you're actually losing weight or gaining it. Another factor maybe that you haven't been logging your foods accurately, and that you're underestimating your calorie intake. Do you use a food scale?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How much were you hoping to have lost in a week?

and....

where are you in your menstrual cycle?
  • Trane333
    Trane333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are eating too little, your body will not release the weight, it'll try and kick in a starvation mode so to speak because fat is highest source of energy your body has and so in order to release those stored calories you have to eat more food at the deficit my fitness pal gave you, but just make sure that you are eating whole foods versus processed if possible. A week is not long enough, body weight can fluctuate a pound or so in that time, so be patient you can do it, and if you can throw some weights in there, muscle helps to burn fat, even at rest.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Need more information-

What is your:
    Height
    Weight
    Daily activity level (non exercise)
    Weekly exercise schedule
    Current calorie goal

You also mentioned gaining 2 pounds and losing a bit... how much was the "bit"?

Do you use a food scale to measure your food? Do you log and track all your food?
  • Bluckii
    Bluckii Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies! I really appreciate it!

Just to clarify, I meant "2 pound gain and NOT loss." Not "bit loss", the "bit" was an autocorrect mistake.

To answer some of your questions. I am not going below 1200 cals. MFP has given me 1500 cals to eat and I easily eat 1200 without feeling hungry at the end of the day. I've done this before in the past (I used to be around 140 several years ago) and always remember feeling like I was starving all day and fighting to stay at 1500 w/o going over.

I eat pretty clean; fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken, fish, cheese, etc... Because of food allergies all of my food is homemade and I am hypoglycemic so I eat very little carbs or sugar. I do weigh my food as well. I am 5'4" and weigh 126lbs. I am not looking for a ton of weight to come off its just that I have gained about 8 lbs over the summer and trying to shed that.

I am not near my monthly cycle but I do have a thyroid disorder. I had my TSH checked 2 weeks ago and I was overactive so I can't imagine that is causing me to gain and not lose.

I know that I should only be losing a lb a week or so but I just assumed I would be either staying put or losing, NOT gaining.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to lose every week. Did the doctor prescribe medication for your thyroid?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Bluckii wrote: »

Just to clarify, I meant "2 pound gain and NOT loss." Not "bit loss", the "bit" was an autocorrect mistake.

To answer some of your questions. I am not going below 1200 cals. MFP has given me 1500 cals to eat and I easily eat 1200 without feeling hungry at the end of the day. I've done this before in the past (I used to be around 140 several years ago) and always remember feeling like I was starving all day and fighting to stay at 1500 w/o going over.

I eat pretty clean; fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken, fish, cheese, etc... Because of food allergies all of my food is homemade and I am hypoglycemic so I eat very little carbs or sugar. I do weigh my food as well. I am 5'4" and weigh 126lbs. I am not looking for a ton of weight to come off its just that I have gained about 8 lbs over the summer and trying to shed that.

I am not near my monthly cycle but I do have a thyroid disorder. I had my TSH checked 2 weeks ago and I was overactive so I can't imagine that is causing me to gain and not lose.

I know that I should only be losing a lb a week or so but I just assumed I would be either staying put or losing, NOT gaining.

Again....... It's only been a week. :) You are neither losing nor gaining, you are naturally fluctuating.

Since you have so little to lose it's going to take much longer. You need to set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week, be meticulous with weighing all solids and measuring all liquids (this means you need to make sure you are choosing correct entries by reading packages and doing other research at the the USDA website) and logging every single thing you eat, and be patient.

You can eat clean all you want but it has nil to do with weight loss. Weight loss is about calories in/calories out, and everything outside of that is adjustment and preference.

Also, just because you have your thyroid come out overactive on one TSH test does not mean you have a problem with your thyroid because those numbers can fluctuate too. However, any thyroid concerns should be discussed with your doctor.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

You're always in your monthly cycle, actually.
    I'm assuming you meant you're not near your period?
    Are you near ovulating? The scale often goes up a few pounds then as well.

Give t time. You're at a healthy weight and if you lose at all you should only lose about a half a pound a week.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    I was going to say what @Sabine_Stroehm said about your cycle. I retain more at ovulation than during menstruation. Plus if you started new exercise that can also cause water retention. You just need to be patient. You will get there.
  • Bluckii
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You aren't going to lose every week. Did the doctor prescribe medication for your thyroid?

Yes. My doctor switched my meds about a week ago.
  • Bluckii
    Options
    Again, thank you all for your input!! Much appreciated!
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 194 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Trane333 wrote: »
    If you are eating too little, your body will not release the weight, it'll try and kick in a starvation mode so to speak because fat is highest source of energy your body has and so in order to release those stored calories you have to eat more food at the deficit my fitness pal gave you, but just make sure that you are eating whole foods versus processed if possible. A week is not long enough, body weight can fluctuate a pound or so in that time, so be patient you can do it, and if you can throw some weights in there, muscle helps to burn fat, even at rest.

Most of this is wrong
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Trane333 wrote: »

NOPE>

NOPE. Also, nope.

Again. Nope.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    For the past week I have easily come under my calorie goal by 200-300 calories each day, I have even done cardio most of those days but I have only seen a 2 pound GAIN and bit loss. What gives?! My calories consist of mostly protein and veggies. I eat a piece of toast and a 1/4 of carbs a day so I am not filling up on carbs. I also eat very little sugar. I never meet that mark. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Your carbs don't matter. Calories do.

If you don't have a food scale, buy one.

I gain roughly 5lbs per month total in water. I lose much more than that. Check my profile. Food scale since day one.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yes. My doctor switched my meds about a week ago.

There's part of your problem right there... Keep doing what you are doing and give yourself a couple of months of letting your meds settle and the scales to start moving. If they still don't move, re-evaluate then. All the best.