Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Always have flu jab
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    Yes, my children and I get the flu shot every year, both to protect ourselves and the people in our communities.

To the poster who was worried about egg, mercury, and chrome door handles:

Some people who are egg-allergic can tolerate the flu shot. When my son was egg-allergic his pediatrician and I agreed that getting the flu shot was a better choice than not for him at the time. He outgrew the allergy altogether within the next year. Hey, maybe the flu shot cured his egg allergy! (His RAST #s were already low and trending down by then, and his skin test was already down to a mild reaction.)

There hasn't been mercury in the US flu shot for years.

Whether or not copper door handles have anti-bacterial properties has no effect on whether you'll be exposed to a virus.

Multi dose vials of the flu shot contain thimerosol which is a Mercury derivative. Those sensitive to Mercury could have a reaction.
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    RoteBook wrote: »
    Yes, my children and I get the flu shot every year, both to protect ourselves and the people in our communities.

To the poster who was worried about egg, mercury, and chrome door handles:

Some people who are egg-allergic can tolerate the flu shot. When my son was egg-allergic his pediatrician and I agreed that getting the flu shot was a better choice than not for him at the time. He outgrew the allergy altogether within the next year. Hey, maybe the flu shot cured his egg allergy! (His RAST #s were already low and trending down by then, and his skin test was already down to a mild reaction.)

There hasn't been mercury in the US flu shot for years.

Whether or not copper door handles have anti-bacterial properties has no effect on whether you'll be exposed to a virus.

Multi dose vials of the flu shot contain thimerosol which is a Mercury derivative. Those sensitive to Mercury could have a reaction.
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

Thanks, you're right. The medical group I go to uses single-dose preservative-free flu vaccines, and I thought that was all that was used in the US now, but didn't check my facts before posting.
  • elphie754
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    8a6321b5c30e686a10f0446f9f5ebb00.jpg

Notice I never said vaccines were unsafe, I am very provaccine for those who are able to get them (I unfortunately can not), I was simply correcting the statement that US vaccines have no mercury in them.
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    8a6321b5c30e686a10f0446f9f5ebb00.jpg

Notice I never said vaccines were unsafe, I am very provaccine for those who are able to get them (I unfortunately can not), I was simply correcting thebatent that US vaccines have no mercury in them.

It's also in eyedrops, nasal spray, and hemorrhoid cream, among many other things.
    https://www.epa.gov/mercury/mercury-consumer-products

Yep, which is why for the most part, I can not use those products. Between that and other severe allergies I have, I do a lot of research on any product or medication I have to use, including calling the manufacturer. But seeing as we were talking about vaccines, didn't think it was important to bring up other products.
  • Numea
    Numea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had the flu, it was many many years ago, and if I ever get a cold its only mild and passes quickly and Ive NEVER had a flu shot. My husband is the same
    The chap that works for us get the shot every year without fail and also gets the flu every year without fail too with days off work and lots of grumbling.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I get the flu vaccine every year. I notice some fatigue over the next couple of days after the shot but I get nothing serious.

Some fatigue is better than the flu, imo.

And I REALLY like needles. :grin:

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    When I worked in a hospital I got one every year- I was a high risk category. Now that I do not work in a hospital, I don't get one. I am not in a high risk category- young, healthy, no auto immune issues.
    There is no harm in getting a vaccine (as long as you aren't allergic to the preservative in it, my one co-worker was and had to wear a mask during flu season)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    GetFitKTB wrote: »
    It's very simple. The flu (Influenza) is caused by a virus. No amount of working out, or eating this or that is going to protect you from a virus. Unless you are a newborn, everyone has had the flu before. They might not know it, they might have mistaken it for a bad cold, but like the common cold, no one is immune from it, so, in my opinion, it only makes sense to get the flu shot. Why take a chance on getting sick if you can avoid it? JMO.

I disagree, if you survive a strain of something severe; it's possible to build an immunity to it, less severe strains & to other illnesses also! A perfect example is the Bubonic Plague, those that survived it passed along an immunity to AIDS; to their decedents via Delta 32!

Immunizations are the technological equivalence of passing immunity to a larger population. There is no legitimate argument against it unless you believe in non-intervention.

1. Bubonic plague is bacterial (Yersinia pestis) - not viral and easily resolved with antibiotics.
    2. No one is immune to AIDS

About the AIDS thing. I have an online friend who has AIDS and an autoimmune disease (AIDS came first). The human body is very complex
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    GetFitKTB wrote: »
    It's very simple. The flu (Influenza) is caused by a virus. No amount of working out, or eating this or that is going to protect you from a virus. Unless you are a newborn, everyone has had the flu before. They might not know it, they might have mistaken it for a bad cold, but like the common cold, no one is immune from it, so, in my opinion, it only makes sense to get the flu shot. Why take a chance on getting sick if you can avoid it? JMO.

I disagree, if you survive a strain of something severe; it's possible to build an immunity to it, less severe strains & to other illnesses also! A perfect example is the Bubonic Plague, those that survived it passed along an immunity to AIDS; to their decedents via Delta 32!

Immunizations are the technological equivalence of passing immunity to a larger population. There is no legitimate argument against it unless you believe in non-intervention.

1. Bubonic plague is bacterial (Yersinia pestis) - not viral and easily resolved with antibiotics.
    2. No one is immune to AIDS

About the AIDS thing. I have an online friend who has AIDS and an autoimmune disease (AIDS came first). The human body is very complex

AIDS is not a result of HIV (as the masses understand).

I cannot remember the PhD, but he was demonized in the 90's with his groundbreaking work in AIDS research. He hypothesized that AIDS was not due to HIV onset, but due to an over-stimulation of receptor sites aggravated by years of drug overuse. He was absolutely correct and many people diagnosed did not contract HIV. Five of the eight HIV vaccines in use today are a direct result from his research.
  • WaCowboy
    WaCowboy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have gotten them in the past especially when I was traveling the world for work. In the last few years though I have not gotten one. I know they work and protect against the main strands that are out there, but personally I would rather take my chances. If I get the flu I may hate life for a while, but my body will naturally build an immunity to it.

My girlfriend disagrees and argues with me on this topic every year. She works in healthcare and gets one just so she doesn't get it from a patient or possible get it herself and spreads it to the elderly clients she has.
This discussion has been closed.