Dehydration Weight

Options
So last week on the 21st I weighed 144.4 pounds, however, I drank last night and was hungover today so bad I puked 6 times. Since I felt better I weighed myself and came in at 142.6 pounds. Most likely I'm dehydrated, so should I log that weight or not?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, most likely dehydrated. It's not fat loss so it doesn't really matter. You are looking at the big picture, not the day to day fluctuations.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not unless you want to log the weight you will have gained back in a day or two. I wouldn't log it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Your weight will normally fluctuate all over the place. Dehydration, over-eating, a salty meal, your period, etc. Record the weight but get used to the fact that weight loss isn't linear. It will be all over the place. But as long as the trend over time is downward, you know you're on the right track.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're not helping yourself with heavy drinking. Prioritize.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't mind seeing it go back up -- if you're weighing daily you will find that you have higher and lower days. It's the trend that counts, not any individual day.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My weight can easily vary by as much as 4 lbs based on water, alcohol and salt intake. I wouldn't record it, but you need to make your own choices.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I record all the weights. I don't see a difference between logging an artificially low "dehydrated" weight and an artificially high "bloated" weight. They're all part of your overall picture, and the overall trend is all that really matters (and I personally find seeing all the fluctuations numbs me to them).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Log the weight and put a star by it, or don't log it.. its a day in which life events happen when drinking too much and also eating too much its no different what happens to the the scale..
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    I would, but I weigh daily so I can see the fluctuations. I would make a note of it just so you remember why you had such a large fluctuation.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options

This had nothing to do with my question about logging weight. For the record it wasn't heavy drinking, just a few glasses of wine to a lightweight that rarely drinks. I can't believe this even needs to be clarified since my question had nothing to do with MY choice of how I spent my Saturday. Only what weight I should log. Thank you :p
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You said "I drank last night and was hungover today so bad I puked 6 times." This from just "a few glasses of wine"? I agree that you need to prioritize.
  • LittleChipin
    Options
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    You said "I drank last night and was hungover today so bad I puked 6 times." This from just "a few glasses of wine"? I agree that you need to prioritize.

Yup exactly what I said. And excuse me, are you here to answer my question or just get riled by the way I spent my weekend?
  • LittleChipin
    edited November 2016
    Options
    janekana wrote: »

It's up to her what she wants to do. Drinking is full of calories but that doesn't mean she can't account for it by going on a deficit earlier or later on, just like anything else.

Considering the one you quoted didn't answer my question I'm not taking it into account. And Saturday was a day where I saved all my calories for dinner and some wine anyways, it all balanced out haha :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dehydration makes you put on water weight not lose it in my experience

If I'm not drinking enough I weigh more not less

(Puking 6 times is not a normal reaction to a night out)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Also I weigh and log daily without exception...yesterday I weighed 3lbs more than the day before or today ..cos dehydration and sodium

If I didn't log every weight I wouldn't have learned the patterns in my weight and would have been freaked out
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I remember those days..definitely don't miss them, haha!

Anyway, do you use a trending app like HappyScale or something similar? Might be good to log it on there. I probably wouldn't log it on MFP unless I saw the same weight for a couple of days, but that's me.
  • LittleChipin
    Options
    Yikes, I remember those days..definitely don't miss them, haha!

Anyway, do you use a trending app like HappyScale or something similar? Might be good to log it on there. I probably wouldn't log it on MFP unless I saw the same weight for a couple of days, but that's me.

It was a reminder of why I rarely do it haha and yup I have a little weight trending app that I use but I didn't log my weight until the next day which was only a pound heavier
  • LittleChipin
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Uh...you drank so much you puked 6 times and your concern is about whether or not you should weigh yourself?

I'm not even going to comment, I'm just going to point that out and let it sink in.

Weight loss commitment doesn't stop in my book. It was my fault I was sick and I still had a great week other than that night, so I figured I still needed my weekly weigh in.