What foods surprised you the most, calorie-wise?

Options
Both low and high, what foods were you not expecting to be what they were?

My #1 I found out today.. 10 fritos scoops is 160 calories! What? Excuse me?!

Another big one was corn.. retrospectively the two are related, but 600+ calories per cup is absurd.

Replies

• christi576
    christi576 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Magic food. Sweet potato, the ones that are yellow on the inside. Low calorie tons of vitamin A very filling
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Purple sweet potatoes... I used to just log them as regular sweet potatoes, and they are literally twice as much... I love them, but I just cant justify spending the calories on them. Also salmon makes me sad at how high it is in calories. Not really surprised at any processed high fat, high sugar foods... I always knew they'd be very high in calories. Strawberries are awesome tho, super high volume food!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% Greek yogurt, plain. Only 150 calories for 7 oz, and 20 g of protein. I add 60 calories of honey with cinnamon, and that's a lot of protein for 210. It really helps fill me up.
  • cocoastral
    cocoastral Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sainsbury's milk chocolate cookies. they're my girlfriend's favourites so she always brings them over, just bigger than my palm, and only 210 calories ! i was worried they'd be worse than that and i'd have to sit there and watch her eat them every saturday but i can indulge on one too with that.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The deli sandwich pinwheels I used to get at the grocery store. 1,000 calories for a dozen pinwheels.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Guacamole. Sad days.

Laughing Cow cheese. Spinach and mushrooms. Happly days.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Cookies,pizza......beans..regular salad dressings,the list goes on.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    Another big one was corn.. retrospectively the two are related, but 600+ calories per cup is absurd.

What kind of corn are you eating?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2850/2
    A cup comes in at about 130-ish calories.

Pears surprised me ... I mistook them for being light and low cal. Turns out they are denser and higher cal than I thought.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    definitely Frito's (I go by grams, though.. even more sad) but I find a few added to chili or whatever will add the flavor and I don't need a ton.

Peanut butter was a sad day.

Fish was a nice surprise. Pretty decent calorie range there

oh. and my fave spring mix. If I wanted to, I could eat a mixing bowl full and barely hit 100 cals. :D

I love Fritos and use them as a topping like you do vs eating a serving by itself. My favorite way is with Progresso's light chicken enchilada soup (a whole can is under 200 calories), with hot sauce drizzled in and then topped with a half serving of fritos. I eat this for lunch several times a week and it's sooo good!
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised the calories in something pretty regularly honestly. This morning, my surprise is the banana banana bread from allrecipe. 229 calories in one little slice. Sigh.