My mom's death sparked my weight loss of 110 lbs.

Options

Replies

• allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So inspirational! Great job!
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    love this post! You are an inspiration to me!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Its a real irony that sometimes it takes a tragedy to motivate people to achieve great things in life. Your mum would be proud. Your kids will be proud when they are old enough to understand what you have achieved for them (as well as yourself). You are certainly an inspiration to all of us who have read your post. God bless you and your family. Hope you have a quick recovery from surgery.
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    Your mother would be so proud of you! You learned from her mistakes and now you're going to be able to be there for your children. Great!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    That's wonderful. You are an inspiration to all of us!
  • dkk1953
    dkk1953 Posts: 24
    Options
    This Friday will be the 3rd anniversary of my mom's death - she passed away due to kidney failure because of diabetes. She was diagnosed around 1987 with Type II, but just thought the meds would be enough. Never exercised, never watched her diet. In 2002, she lost both legs to the disease. She had 2 heart attacks mixed in there, and a pacemaker was installed right at the time of Hurrican Katrina (I remember watching the aftermath while visiting mom in the hospital).

I wish I could say, like you, that my mom's health was my deciding factor to lose weight. Actually I HAD lost 35# up until her pacemaker was installed. Then my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I started making monthly trips (5 hrs) to take him to chemo and the toll of it all made my weight loss go the other direction. I've regained about 25 of the 35 and am really trying to get it off once again.

My dad died July 8th, 2008 with mom passing one week later. I think she was too afraid that we would have to put her in a nursing home due to her immobility once dad was gone and right after all the family gathered to view my dad, she quit eating. She knew deep down what that would do and her kidneys shut down almost immediately.

Anyway, I need to read and re-read your post many, many times in the future as you have reaped from your tragedy. It's a good lesson learned - we really need to take care of ourselves!!

Congratulations on your success :)
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! Very inspirational. That's why we started last summer watching what we eat too. My Dad died when I was 13 at age 42. He was a healthy man, not over weight, but had sleep apneia. My mother is currently on kidney dyalisis, has high blood pressure, had a stroke 2 years ago, and is diabetic. My father-in-law has a pace maker, and both my husband parents have been on medication for a while. We realize that our kids could have numerous medical problems, based on family history. We want to help them make better food choices. Congratulations to you for realizing! I always say that everything happens for a reason and a purpose, and you have seized the opportunity to make a change!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. :flowerforyou: You are truly inspiring to me! I lost my Mom also... 16 months ago. My weight spiked fast.... not that I was little before losing her... my lab work came back and Dr told me I am very high risk for heart disease, thats what killed my Mom.
    I refuse to die at 64 yrs old and leave my daughters and family.....
    My heart goes out to you!!!
    Thanks again..... :smile:
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What an incredible journey!! You have done an amazing job!! I am so impressed!! Everyone here is right, your mother would be extremely proud of you! Good for you for being such a good example for your children also!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for sharing your story and photos with us. It's very inspirational to see parts of your journey. I'm glad to hear that you were able to take the tragedy of your mother's death and make it into something beautiful in your life. That's an amazing tribute to what a wonderful woman she must have been as well as a great gift to the rest of your family.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery and many happy, healthy years ahead.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! You have inspired me.
  • TimTamGirl
    TimTamGirl Posts: 20
    Options
    You are a really amazing person. Even though your mum died from tragic circumstances, she left a legacy in you to be an inspiration to others.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Take Care :heart:
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    you look amazing!!!
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous, and kudos on taking the necessary steps to live a healthy, long life! Thanks for sharing--you're inspiring.
  • sgirl29
    sgirl29 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Congrats girl! You look fantastic!! I so understand how you feel about losing your mom. I to lost my mom when she was only 47 years old. Keep pushing... you're doing great! :)
  • aph1234
    aph1234 Posts: 25
    Options
    wow your post hit close to home and thanks for the hints i plan to use your ideas i finally got motivated because of health problems nothing like getting a wake up call to really make you see where you are and where you want to go and make you realize you really are in control of your life
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    This Friday will be the 3rd anniversary of my mom's death - she passed away due to kidney failure because of diabetes. She was diagnosed around 1987 with Type II, but just thought the meds would be enough. Never exercised, never watched her diet. In 2002, she lost both legs to the disease. She had 2 heart attacks mixed in there, and a pacemaker was installed right at the time of Hurrican Katrina (I remember watching the aftermath while visiting mom in the hospital).

I wish I could say, like you, that my mom's health was my deciding factor to lose weight. Actually I HAD lost 35# up until her pacemaker was installed. Then my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I started making monthly trips (5 hrs) to take him to chemo and the toll of it all made my weight loss go the other direction. I've regained about 25 of the 35 and am really trying to get it off once again.

My dad died July 8th, 2008 with mom passing one week later. I think she was too afraid that we would have to put her in a nursing home due to her immobility once dad was gone and right after all the family gathered to view my dad, she quit eating. She knew deep down what that would do and her kidneys shut down almost immediately.

Anyway, I need to read and re-read your post many, many times in the future as you have reaped from your tragedy. It's a good lesson learned - we really need to take care of ourselves!!

Congratulations on your success :)

Thank your for sharing your story as well. Hugs! I am sorry for the loss of both of your parents. My father also does not take care of himself. He's had numerous heart attacks, a quadruple bipass, recently almost lost his foot because of not taking care of his Type II Diabetes, and has had some mini strokes. I think if he doesn't get his act together SOON, he won't make it another 2 years. Very sad. I hope I am inspiring him some too.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. Sorry that some of also had losses. We can do this!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look really wonderful--it took a lot of guts to take a personal tragedy and turn it into a better legacy for your kids. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    hugs!

congrats
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!