What foods surprised you the most, calorie-wise?

Options

Replies

• Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    bad surprise = chicken wings and just about anything with processed sugar. I had NO IDEA how much fat and empty calories were in them
    good surprise = eggs; absolutely protein-laden
    OH - REAL BAD SURPRISE - turns out I have a sensitivity to salt; I puff up like there's no tomorrow and it's days before I can lose the accumulated water.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    YOGURT, CHIA, and BEANS! I was always trying to make healthy meals by incorporating these things, and then wondering how each small meal is 500-600 calories! The cookies at Wawa also have over 400 calories per cookie :open_mouth:

I was pleasantly surprised at how few calories APPLES and GREEN BEANS have, as well as BROTHY SOUPS and ALMOND MILK :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Everything. Seriously. Even veggies. 40 calories for 100g of carrots is not 'few calories'. Worst surprise maybe was bagels. 400 calories in a plain bagel. Sheesh.

I think that the only thing I always assumed was worse than it is is caramels. I always thought they were like 50-100 calories each.. but nope, typically only 25-30. And maybe shrimp and white fish.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good surprise: Shrimp, crabmeat, crawfish... I live in Louisiana, and this made me very happy!
    Bad surprise: Peanut butter, hummus, pretty much any condiment that isn't plain mustard or hot sauce- I was always aware of the caloric content, but when you weigh that stuff out, it is really depressing to see how small one serving is haha
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Pop tarts.. cause you only 1 out of the pack as the serving size.. Why don't they individually wrap the pop tarts?

Hi
    Simple answer, the expense of wrapping singles would cost them more and Mainly due to the fact that they want You to eat tow at a time and they know that toasters all have two or four slots :) It they wrapped singly they would sell fewer boxes. I was amazed at how many things that trumpet a decent calorie count end up with the calorie count being for 1/2 or less of a single package.

Cheers
    Roger
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ooohh. Soup has been a blessing for sure. I eat soup several times a week.

Salad dressing got a big "booooo" from me. Not even enough to make salad worth it. I'd rather have plain fresh veggies than a lame-o salad.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    On the low side, jicama surprised me. Sweet? Low cal? High fiber? Heck yeah!
    On the high side ... nothing really surprised me because I already knew that corn and green peas were denser with energy than green beans. I no longer think that a big old russet potato is a side to a meal. It's a side to 3 or 4 meals, or a day's worth of nutrition alone. I guess I was surprised to find that my cornbread could be made with masa harina, with small tweaks to the recipe to make a more nutritious bread for some of my meals. The Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas were a revelation.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Another big one was corn.. retrospectively the two are related, but 600+ calories per cup is absurd.

That is only for corn that is dried (like for making cornmeal), fresh sweet corn has only about 150 per cup.

• kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Those little Halloween chocolates! One recees cup is 104 calories, and I use to eat 10 of those in one sitting ... :/
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For everyone else above me that said POP TARTS! Yes that was my big revelation too!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    creme brulee . . . well, if you make it with milk. it's just milk and eggs, and doesn't take a whole lot of sugar to 'flavour' it right either.

i've got so i like to make it in a fairly large batch and keep it in the fridge for quick-spoonful 'snack' moments before real food is ready.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Pop tarts.. cause you only 1 out of the pack as the serving size.. Why don't they individually wrap the pop tarts?

Right, like cup 'o soup. You can't even save the soup in Styrofoam to eat one serving.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »
    Pop Tarts. First look....200 calories....not bad. Closer look....serving size, one pastry....awww mannnn....why two per package if one is a serving. :s

Yep.

:(:'(:/

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    creme brulee . . . well, if you make it with milk. it's just milk and eggs, and doesn't take a whole lot of sugar to 'flavour' it right either.

That's not creme brulee though, that is just pudding.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

i've got so i like to make it in a fairly large batch and keep it in the fridge for quick-spoonful 'snack' moments before real food is ready.

Lol real creme brulee has a lot of calories actually.