What Did you do to lose weight?

Options
Hello, Im new to being on a weightloss journey. What did you eat to lose weight? what excercises did you do daily to lose weight? How much did you lose weekly? And tips?

Replies

• rome_411
    rome_411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, it was being committed and consistent. I recommend setting your goals in MFP, and log daily, even when you miss the mark (develops an accountability habit). As you progress examine your eating habits and start incorporating more healthy options into your meals. I also recommend finding creative and fun ways to exercise and increase activity. This together will help you obtain the caloric deficit needed to lose weight. Be realistic and look as it as a long term life change, more of a marathon than a sprint. And don't be afraid to use moderation especially when you first start. As your conditioning and health improves you can increase activity and effort accordingly.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, wrigh all my food and eat a calorie deficit. To build the aesthetic look i want, do that and lift weights to maintain muscle.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    track my calories and stay within allotted caloriesand walk most days. Track my steps with a misfit-but any tracker will do. Walk at least 5 days a week at least 30 minutes a day often more.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I only count calories. Exercise is something I do anyway. If I exercise and over eat, I still gain weight.

To lose .5lbs a week I can eat 1620 calories/day. I tend to try for 1300 (which is close 1lb/week) daily, but sometimes life just doesn't let me. I weigh in on Saturdays. And I log and weigh everything (I've even be known to weigh liquids in a pinch). I have a short term goal to be at 155 by the time I leave on vacation (18 more days, and only about a 1.5lb left), then by New Year I hope to be 150.

I know there are people that can stop eating when they aren't hungry any more, but for some reason I'm just not built like that...I want ALL the food. And I'm a bottomless pit. So my food scale and I are BFF's. I recommend you buy one and use it.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's all about your routine. I started just tracking food for two maybe three weeks. Then I got a friend to go walking with me so we did that three days a week for a month. After that, I joined a gym with another friend, started 30 day shred with my husband and still walk with original friend. All this while logging food. I've lost 23 lbs in 4 months. Granted, I have a lot more time now a days being unemployed and just looking for jobs. You have to figure out your routine.
    Before I got laid off, I brought my lunch every day and logged the calories so I wouldn't deviate. It's hard work, but you push through if you want it badly enough.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Created a 1000 cals deficit a day according to Fitbit. Burned about 2.400 cal and ate 1.400. Lost 3 to 4 lbs (Beginning) and 0.5 (End) a week, 20 lbs in 3 months. 25.000 steps a day plus weight lifting 3 times a week. Now maintaining. Good luck finding a way that works for you.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Set up my stats in MFP, ate at the calorie deficit MFP indicated, changed the default macros to 40c/30/30 because I wanted to follow that balance, added a little exercise.

For 53 weeks until I hit my weight loss goal of 63 pounds.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Simple. Consumed less food than my body needed and started to exercise for fitness. Lost 9lbs the first month. Concerned that I was getting enough protein and calories, I joined MFP to track both. Upped my calories as well as my protein for past 3 months and lost another 26. Eat what you like for calories, but for health, monitor your macros and make sure you get enough protein. As far as exercise goes, I workout 6 days a week for a minimum of an hour per day. Currently I run and practice yoga MWF and lift weights and practice yoga on TThS Sunday is my rest day. Your exercise routine is totally dependent on your personal fitness goals and what you enjoy doing. If unsure, just experiment till you find the right fit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I gained weight slowly (about 30 lbs in 9-10 years) so I wasn't overeating by much. I dropped my calories during the week and started an exercise routine for the winter months (I'm always active when it's nice outside).

I didn't change my diet content much because I was already eating mostly healthy foods, just too much of them. I just eat normal foods - meat/fish, eggs, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, etc. No smoothies or bars or meal replacement. Rarely fast food. Eat out at restaurants a couple times a month.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Whenever anyone asks me this question, I tell them the truth - I quit eating so much! I set goals with MFP, and followed the calorie guidelines. I didnt purposefully exercise. I practiced and practiced willpower until it worked for me. I didnt cut out anything (well, I havent had chinese food in a year), and found a good sub for my beloved potato chips that I can enjoy on a daily basis (and do!). I rarely eat out, as I love to cook, but I also like having control over my intake and knowing what the calorie count is in the dish. I really enjoy making progress and can see myself doing this for the long haul. I have been really successful at it, and am thrilled at the results and so grateful for having found this site.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Set up my stats in MFP, ate at the calorie deficit MFP indicated, changed the default macros to 40c/30/30 because I wanted to follow that balance, added a little exercise.

For 53 weeks until I hit my weight loss goal of 63 pounds.

What you have in bold is so important. It didn't happen overnight. It took a consistent, dedicated approach. Good for you!!!
  • JamieCroyle
    JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers for the second time in 2011 and have been doing for 8 straight yrs and I walk all week ( unless weather. Drink lots and lots of water. Fruits, veggies, dairy, Lean protein
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and do cardio to get in shape. I eat right and eat fewer calories than I burn to lose weight. 82 pounds and counting so far. The real secret to losing weight is that there is no secret. If you over eat, your body will store the extra calories as fat. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body will use it's stored fat to make up the difference.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I committed to tracking intake honestly for one year regardless of whether I was over or under my goals. I picked activities that I enjoy doing and committed to doing at least one or two of them everyday - walking the dog, riding my bike, yoga, dancing, kayaking.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I weighed (on a digital scale) everything I ate, recorded it honestly here in MFP, and stopped eating when I had reached my calorie goal for the day. That's what worked.

What helped me do that was some more boring stuff: adding a ton of vegetables and lean protein to my diet, staying away from foods that trigger me to binge-eat, making sure to include a reasonable amount of healthy fats, and planning, planning, planning. Grocery planning, meal planning, pre-logging, stashing healthful/portion-controlled snacks at work, all of that. Sticking to a routine. Allowing myself an occasional indulgence, but planning for it in advance and adjusting for it afterward. Accepting and working with things I was unwilling to give up (cheese, alcohol), and giving up other things (starchy carbs) to compensate. But all of that was incidental to the real business, which was accurate logging and staying under my calorie goal.
  • Glansberry
    Glansberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have not been doing this long myself, but did do my homework before starting my journey. What I come to know is that dieting is a temporary fix for a long term problem. I did not put on this extra weight over night, it took years, so it's going to take time to loose it.

1. I had to first change my mindset from dieting to commitment of a new healthy lifestyle.
    2. Sleep, the body needs recuperation time from exercise, food intake and daily stressor's.
    3. Healthy foods, SAD(Standard American Diet) is the worst, read about and choose healthy.
    4. Excercise, find a cardiovascular or strength training that works and enjoy for you.
    5. Tools to help you on your new journey, MFP app, Food Scale, Good Gym, Pressure Cooker.
    6. Last, but not least, Total Honesty and Committment to one's self in living a healthy way of life.

Ok, maybe a little overboard, Well, that's just my thoughts, I just lost 13.6lbs by doing the above for the last two months. Best wishes to you on your new journey, have a greal day...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Karalove94 wrote: »
    Hello, Im new to being on a weightloss journey. What did you eat to lose weight? what excercises did you do daily to lose weight? How much did you lose weekly? And tips?

Your diet is going to be exponentially more important to losing weight than your exercise or what exercise you do.

When you consume less energy (calories) than you expend, you burn fat to make up for the energy deficiency regardless of whether you're exercising or not. Regular exercise has numerous health benefits so I strongly recommend...and there's the added bonus of expending a bit more energy...but for most people, energy expenditure from exercise is only a small fraction of their total expenditure.

Hit your calorie targets and emphasize solid nutrition and exercise regularly for overall health and wellness.

In regards to what exercise, do what you enjoy doing...you'll stick with it. Personally, I love cycling and enjoy lifting...so I do those things...and I don't train daily, rest/recovery days are important, particularly if you're training pretty hard.