If it's all in the math, why did I gain?

Options

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    #Nkuyumcu

CICO isn't the one true answer, many people on this forum will not accept that---you may need to try something else to lose any extra weight.
    Spme ppl try a modified IF---they eat nothing before 11am and have an 11am-7pm eating window, or even stop at 5pm. Not sure what is best for you but if you're determined, you'll find something.
    GL
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    your heading talks about the math. if the math worked we'd all be at goal ... the body loses when it loses.. just stay consistent and keep working at it..
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    One thing you don't mention is how you are keeping track of your calories. Not just logging, but are you weighing your food and using correct entries? Also on the days you over eat are you logging or guessing you are eating 2000-2600 calories?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've had instances where I fluctuate as much as 6(!) pounds from one day to the next. On average, I'm losing between .25 and .5 lbs a week. So that means there are days where I appear to weigh more than I did 30 days previously. But individual data points aren't informative -- Weight loss is not linear -- The trend is what's important.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Two points: (a) What you eat is important, how much is key, but WHEN is equally critical. Try and space your meals and snacks about 2-1/2 hours apart and don't go to bed until dinner is at least 3 hours in the rearview mirror. (b) Don't eat your exercise calories. Just because your calorie budget went up because of exercise doesn't mean you can eat them back. To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit - try for about a 25% calorie deficit, bearing in mind the three W's I previously mentioned, and you should see results in a couple days.

No. I've seen the best results for me since switching to intermittent fasting. Meal timing is irrelevant. It is only a factor if it helps you stay within your calorie goals. I get 80% of my daily calories between 5-10pm before bed. I also do Insanity several times a week and eat most (sometimes all) of the calories earned becausr my goal in working out is to improve health and maintain muscle mass. Working out that hard without proper fuel would be dangerous for my health.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    OP my weight fluctuates 3-4lbs every day depending on when I weigh, what Ive eaten, TOM, and other variables. I do not believe you gained 1lb of actual fat that fast. You are seeing a normal fluctuation on the scale.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You may want to invest in a food scale. It's too easy to underestimate food portions without. Even measuring is not as good as a scale. Example (that kinda ticks me off) is Quaker Harvest crunch. It lists calories for 2/3 cup (45 grams). So I was eating 1 cup thinking I was eating ~70 grams and counting calories that way. When I got a scale, I weighed it and 1 cup was 97 grams, so substantially more calories every day I was eating this.

On another note, I'm glad to see the rubbish suggestions get called out so quickly here. Focus on CICO, eat at whatever time suits you and be patient. As a guy, I still see fluctuations and don't have that TOM to deal with (except the wife's).
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    LINIA wrote: »
    #Nkuyumcu

CICO isn't the one true answer, many people on this forum will not accept that---you may need to try something else to lose any extra weight.
    Spme ppl try a modified IF---they eat nothing before 11am and have an 11am-7pm eating window, or even stop at 5pm. Not sure what is best for you but if you're determined, you'll find something.
    GL

CICO isn't a "diet" , "way of eating" or an approach to weight loss. It's a fundamental mathematical equation that describes the energy balance that all of us are governed by.

IF is an approach to manipulating your eating within a certain window which largely comes down to a preference for how people like to take in the energy (CI) part of the equation. Being successful with IF doesn't invalidate CICO. It just is an individualized approach to CI.

I don't think the person you quoted was implying that CICO is not at work during IF. I took it as them saying that counting calories doesn't work for everyone. I truly believe that counting calories does not work for everyone, simply because of calculating CICO wrong. Although, your reply was helpful in clarifying that CICO is the true reason for success whether one counts or not. Some people are simply rubbish at counting and the nutrition facts on most products are way more complicated than they have to be.
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi all - yes i am weighing my meals and logging calories. Also eating back half of exercise calories. Period started today so will see what scale says next Tuesday. I weigh myself weekly only. Thx to all.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I just gained 1lb in a couple of minutes - a big refreshing glass of zero calorie water.

Get used to weight fluctuations now or maintenance at goal weight will be miserable! Maybe try one of the weight trending apps to understand the causes and patterns of your fluctuations?

I'm several years into maintenance and my weight can fluctuate by up to 5lbs on any given day-it's wild lol.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »

.... paid for by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

Thats like a treadmill company funding a study of 1500 people who only lost weight when they started walking....on treadmills.

*Added: Correction: November 1, 2016
    An earlier version of this article misstated two of the study’s findings. The research found that Americans believe obesity is now tied with cancer as the most serious health issue facing the nation; they do not see it as a bigger risk than cancer. And 68 percent of respondents said it was riskier — not safer — to remain obese than to have weight loss surgery.