hypothyroidism and exercise

Options
Hello
i have been suffering from an under active thyroid for a few months now, im currently medicated for it, however ive heard that strenuous exercise could be detrimental and eradicate any t3 i have left? is this true,m because i love body combat - i do walk 3 times a week and do body combat once. this is because im a mother of 2 and i also go part time college as well as full time work, so i have literally no more space left to do anymore exercise.
im struggling to lose weight, even on 100mcg of levo. and counting calories, i dont count them on here though for those that are going to look at my diary
im not new to this, ive lost 5 stone with slimming world and counting calories but gained a stone back was my thyroid took a nose dive.

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That's nothing I've ever heard before.

I have a barely functioning thyroid, am on 175 mcg of Synthroid, and run almost every day and lift 3 days a week.

Exercise is awesome.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    aww brill.
    have you been successful with weight loss?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, whoever told you this has no clue about hypothyroidism
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thats awesome news, ill continue trying to get my exercise in, i did stop all forms of exercise as i believed this, but within a few weeks felt awful.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Hello
    i have been suffering from an under active thyroid for a few months now, im currently medicated for it, however ive heard that strenuous exercise could be detrimental and eradicate any t3 i have left? is this true,m because i love body combat - i do walk 3 times a week and do body combat once. this is because im a mother of 2 and i also go part time college as well as full time work, so i have literally no more space left to do anymore exercise.
    im struggling to lose weight, even on 100mcg of levo. and counting calories, i dont count them on here though for those that are going to look at my diary
    im not new to this, ive lost 5 stone with slimming world and counting calories but gained a stone back was my thyroid took a nose dive.

What was your t4 level when you were diagnosed? Do you know? (not relevent to topic I am just curious as mine is a bit low)
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    5.96 when diagnosed.. about 3 weeks ago it was 2.96 - im still symptomatic, with hair loss, weight gain.. however im now hoping that exercise will help me,
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    aww brill.
    have you been successful with weight loss?

I've lost 93 pounds. And that's after menopause!
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    OH WOW! i need to up my levo ha ha
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will work if you are medicated.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist does not agree with that! My latest TSH was 38 (yikes!) and I'm still losing weight. Exercise helps my energy level A LOT. I'm still working out vigorously 4 times a week despite that TSH with my endocrinologist's blessing.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly safe to work out and will help you lose fat rather than muscle.
  • JamieCroyle
    JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also have now been taking thyroid meds for about a yr I recently went to Dr's to have my levels checked, But haven't heard back . My problem is I'm still feeling tired and dizzness, some headaches. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong ? Help needed.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I also have now been taking thyroid meds for about a yr I recently went to Dr's to have my levels checked, But haven't heard back . My problem is I'm still feeling tired and dizzness, some headaches. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong ? Help needed.

you need to ask for your results, then see your levels, it could be your not on a high enough dose. the first symptom to go for me was the tiredness, the rest has yet to get better, we have to tweak our meds to get to the right levels
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    definitely not true.. i've lost almost 60lbs while having hypothyroidism and PCOS.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    JamieCroyle: If your thyroid is okay, get your iron and ferritin checked.

To the OP: I've been on thyroid meds for years. I run 5-6 days a week. Once I started the meds, I was able to lose weight through diet and exercise. It doesn't come off without some effort, but it does come off.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    No.

I am hypo and have Hashimoto's Disease. I take way more levo than you do. I work out hard, often 15+ hours/week.

You can't take half an hour to walk every day? Do you mean that you are totally sedentary 3 days per week?

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As others have stated this is really bad information. There are many elite level athletes with Hashimotos or some degree of hypothyroidism including Gillian Michaels. I say this because I believed in this garbage and let myself go - put on 70lbs over 13 years. Once I started monitoring my intake and slowly working out I lost 60lbs over a year.

Be wary - there are several people out there using hypothyroidism as an excuse for their weight gain. Avoid non-peer reviewed sites and information. You can usually spot these immediately as the are marketing some version of "Thyroid Diet" or other nonsense.

I'm on .175/.200 mcg Synthroid alternating daily and have been on this dose for over 10 years.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    No.

I am hypo and have Hashimoto's Disease. I take way more levo than you do. I work out hard, often 15+ hours/week.

You can't take half an hour to walk every day? Do you mean that you are totally sedentary 3 days per week?

Yes Tuesday weds and Thursday I can't do any exercise as I work full time then go straight to college till 9pm
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it, I have recently had my levels rechecked and am on the 2nd lot of medication adjustment. I inadvertently switched drs as my previous drs office called about a pap smear reminder so asked to do my function test while I was there. New Dr appears to have diff view on what a normal level is as she has prescribed a second adj of meds while my previous dr would have said anything under 5 was normal enough. I dont actually know what normal feels like anymore.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Good luck with it, I have recently had my levels rechecked and am on the 2nd lot of medication adjustment. I inadvertently switched drs as my previous drs office called about a pap smear reminder so asked to do my function test while I was there. New Dr appears to have diff view on what a normal level is as she has prescribed a second adj of meds while my previous dr would have said anything under 5 was normal enough. I dont actually know what normal feels like anymore.

what are your levels? do you know?