Woman that needs to eat like a man. HALP.

13

Replies

  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 461 Member
    I assume you are looking to be satiated. Clearly a salad is not going to satiate you nor is it going to support your macro needs for the physical labor you are involved in.

    So let's first consider your labor. You're using your muscles A LOT (Yay you!)
    I would consider talking to a GUY that body builds and is lean and tailor his diet to your caloric intake.

    The simple matter of the fact is that you use your muscles, muscle mass is a key driver of your metabolism. So DONT LOSE IT. If you start dieting in such a way that your body starts letting go of the muscle in effort to reduce calorically expensive tissues it could lower your metabolism.


    I would suggest meals that focus on lean means (grilled chicken, steak) and fresh vegetables with a single serving of starchy carb and eat fruits during your breaks. (bread, potato, rice, legumes) and keep the calories down.

    The lean meat will help support the maintenance of your calorically expensive muscles, it will provide the fat calories that you need and the carbs will help keep your blood sugar level.
  • n1terunner
    n1terunner Posts: 76 Member
    I would make sure you give yourself enough calories as a person who is doing physically demanding work. I would also suggest, if you can snack, eat protien-ish snacks throughout the day and don't worry so much about calories.

    Handfuls of nuts (not inuendo) I get unsalted peanuts from the store, when I'm insatiably hungry I eat a handful. Just have to eat them slow so you have time to feel full. Especially around 10am and 2-3pm when you're in-between meals.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,451 Member
    I had dirty rice and ice cream last night. Today's breakfast was sausage & veggie mini frittatas and lunch will be mac & cheese with spicy tuna. Am I eating like a man or a woman? Plz advise!

    first things first - @diannethegeek - can you tell me about this mac & cheese with spicy tuna?

    @Carchick94 - have you put in your stats to mfp and had it come up with a calorie goal for you? you can start with a reasonable deficit of 1lb or .5lbs per week and start logging what you eat as accurately as possible to see where you stand with regards to those goals. then you can make small changes to help you fit within the calories allotted. you really don't have to change the way you eat completely or all at once. you can try taking your normal calories down by 50 or 100 per day to start and ease your way into a deficit. that will give you time to consider which foods are doing the most for you - keeping you full, making you happy, etc., which you could skip and which you could bulk up on to give you more 'stuff' to eat at a bargain. it's the last component that includes a lot of veggies or maybe salads, but that doesn't have to be the majority of your food. you don't ever have to waste calories on food you don't enjoy either. if you aren't into salads don't force them down, try something else.

    I'm afraid you'll disappointed. I'm quite lazy when it comes to lunch. Mine is just:

    2610.png?6563

    +

    BB-Spicy-Thai-Chili-Seasoned-Tuna-Pouch-300x300.jpg?x66607

    I literally have those two products in my possession right now. I love all things spicy, and I love all things cheese. Spicy tuna and mac & cheese will have to be my lunch sometime this week. Hmm... Maybe I'll mix the two and put them into those mini pie crusts I just bought.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    I recommend ditching the bread and fries. I lost 50 lbs eating in and out except here is what I did: Instead of eating a double double and fries, I got a 4x0 (which is 4 patties no cheese) with grilled onions and no fries and I either didn't eat the bun or just ate 1/2 of it. Overall, you have to reduce calories but doing it the most enjoyable way is the best way to go. In a burger, the patty is the most nutritious part; the rest is garbage so double up on the good part and ditch the rest.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,273 Member
    rontafoya wrote: »
    I recommend ditching the bread and fries. I lost 50 lbs eating in and out except here is what I did: Instead of eating a double double and fries, I got a 4x0 (which is 4 patties no cheese) with grilled onions and no fries and I either didn't eat the bun or just ate 1/2 of it. Overall, you have to reduce calories but doing it the most enjoyable way is the best way to go. In a burger, the patty is the most nutritious part; the rest is garbage so double up on the good part and ditch the rest.

    Similar to what I do at Five Guys. My standard is 3 patties no bun w/grilled mushrooms, peppers, jalapenos, and tomatoes.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    I hate salad and never ever eat them :)

    Lunch things for me - eggs, meats, oatmeals, protein shakes, a massive pile of fruit, peanut butter. Tacos (with lean meat, veggies, green salsa, surprising how actually low cal these little guys can be).
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    This post is halarious. I had ribeye steak, onion rings and fries for dinner....am I eating like a man? Well, if so, I'm not changing! Feel free to add me and see my diary
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,373 Member
    I almost never eat salads.

    Have a burger. Skip the fried onion rings and bacon and have a side salad or broccoli on the side instead of fries. And get a 1/4 lb patty instead of a bigger one.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Loads of people have said that if your goal is to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you burn which is totally right, but also remember that your food is fuel and it needs to be nutritious, so while you could eat a burger, make it lean with some veg (mushrooms, onion, homemade salsa) and maybe a wholemeal bun? But there are tones of things you can eat that isnt salad (and all non-gendered, amazing!) like pastas, wraps, baked potato... Just make sure it isn't pink I guess.

    On a side note, my fiance is an engineer, working hard, getting covered in oil, hes a 6'6 man and what does he take for lunch? Oh, yeah. Salad. We meal prep, he has chicken breast with spiralised carrot and courgette (zuchini) with tomatoes and onion and boiled egg. He also takes nuts, cereal bars, bananas ... to keep up his calories. He still manages to do his man work.
  • DaneDog28
    DaneDog28 Posts: 11 Member
    I went through something similar for a long time - I only ate 1200 calories and just lifted and did alot of HIIT activity. Yet my pants were always hanging off in the booty region. One day I took a spinning class, caught sight of my flat behind and said "enough". With the help of a good bro friend, I ate more, lifted more, and put on muscle. Eating like a man - eating more then normal, about every hours. I'm petite but was able to put on a few pounds of muscle and fill out my clothes better - I ate egg whites, oatmeal, berries, apples, spinach, veggies, grilled chicken, protein shakes, etc. I had emergency heart surgery over the summer and lost all my muscle and am working hard to gain it back, but it's great to eat more than 1200 calories a day. As for a burger, I still eat them, just more like 1 a month or so. I try to have a cheat meal once a week. Eating clean will def help you keep the weight off, and more protein will help add muscle. Add me if you want, I'm just getting back into this!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    I eat everything.. but I also eat salad almost every night after dinner (whether I'm trying to lose, maintain or gain). Maybe it's an Italian or European thing since I always had salads growing up
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,659 Member
    Misssynth wrote: »
    it needs to be nutritious, so while you could eat a burger, make it lean with some veg (mushrooms, onion, homemade salsa) and maybe a wholemeal bun?.

    You could lose weight solely eating ice cream as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Fat loss is from a calorie deficit, "health" comes from micronutrients.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,331 Member
    - Are you able to make your burgers at home and bring them with you? If so, make leaner burgers on thinner bread.

    - You could also order smaller burgers with less added sauces and stuff.

    - Alternatively, just order the burger you usually do and have lighter breakfast and dinner.

    There are many ways to go about it, but you don't need to give up anything if you don't want to, or eat things that you don't like. Having a physical job is actually a plus. You can lose weight on a decent forgiving calorie allowance that may allow you to have burgers more often than you think.
  • s0987
    s0987 Posts: 22 Member
    This has been a great read. I'm in a physical hands in job that sees a lot more men than women and we go out to eat a lot. It's so tough to be part of the group and eat with the gang while trying to make healthy choices. I try to nudge where we go to places with a broader menu and order carefully, but I just have to miss out when they choose 5 Guys or fast food. Hard to balance.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm here for my penis.

    OP, I eat what I want. Paying attention to feeling full, along with macros and micros to meet all of my nutritional needs. I eat steak and veggies, burgers, ice cream, and beer. Not generally all in the same day, mind you. As others have said, don't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, just plan the day differently.
    Your penis must be so happy. Are you on a bulk @nutmegoreo? I almost disappointed mine by threatening salad, but bacon was added so crisis averted.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm here for my penis.

    OP, I eat what I want. Paying attention to feeling full, along with macros and micros to meet all of my nutritional needs. I eat steak and veggies, burgers, ice cream, and beer. Not generally all in the same day, mind you. As others have said, don't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, just plan the day differently.
    Your penis must be so happy. Are you on a bulk @nutmegoreo? I almost disappointed mine by threatening salad, but bacon was added so crisis averted.

    No bulking at the moment. Still working on losing. Unfortunately, I still haven't received my penis. Maybe I need to send a self-addressed stamped envelope.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,641 Member
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    I think I have it in my head that as a woman trying to lose weight I have to eat salad and no more than 5 almonds.

    I blame images like this:
    10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

    Seriously, if you want to eat a burger, then eat a burger. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

    A burger will probably be more satisfying after working hard than a salad.

    I'm actually serious here.. This has been eye opening. Something so simple.. I truly thought this is what had to be done and is probably why I have always failed.

    I think I'm coming off as a bit of a jerk here with my sarcasm so I want to apologize. I don't mean you should ditch vegetables and salad altogether - as mentioned by other users, if you want to eat more for less calories, salad is great. You can eat a lot of it for low calories, which may help you reach your goal.

    I just wanted to stress that you don't have to be miserable to lose weight. You can do it in a perfectly healthy manner by eating whatever foods you desire, but in more reasonable portions. It may not mean a burger every day, but it could be eating that burger for lunch one day, and ditching the shake or fries to save calories. Maybe have the salad as the side of your burger.

    A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Where those calories come from is entirely up to you.

    You're not coming off that way at all! I'm actually glad you posted the pic cause it's true! I think maybe a lot of women including myself have been conditioned to thinking this way?

    I would agree with that. Most of the women in my office are yo-yo dieters and any time they tell me they're "trying to eat right", they come to work with a tiny salad that looks like it's made for a baby. No meat. WHO would be satisfied with that??
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I was raised on Detroit Diesel. Dad was a short man. Here's what he had for breakfast. Two fried eggs, two fried bacon, one toast, black coffee. Here's what he had for lunch. Actually, it varied, but generally was 1 serving of meat, 2 of veg, 1 of starch, 1 of bread. He had an expense account for his lunches. Dinner at home was typically 1 serving of meat, 2 of veg, 1 of starch and 1 of bread. Up until he was 54 he weighed about 180, then his ulcer was treated by chopping away half his stomach. After that he lost weight and stayed around 140.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    I think I have it in my head that as a woman trying to lose weight I have to eat salad and no more than 5 almonds.

    I blame images like this:
    10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

    Seriously, if you want to eat a burger, then eat a burger. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

    A burger will probably be more satisfying after working hard than a salad.

    I'm actually serious here.. This has been eye opening. Something so simple.. I truly thought this is what had to be done and is probably why I have always failed.

    I think I'm coming off as a bit of a jerk here with my sarcasm so I want to apologize. I don't mean you should ditch vegetables and salad altogether - as mentioned by other users, if you want to eat more for less calories, salad is great. You can eat a lot of it for low calories, which may help you reach your goal.

    I just wanted to stress that you don't have to be miserable to lose weight. You can do it in a perfectly healthy manner by eating whatever foods you desire, but in more reasonable portions. It may not mean a burger every day, but it could be eating that burger for lunch one day, and ditching the shake or fries to save calories. Maybe have the salad as the side of your burger.

    A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Where those calories come from is entirely up to you.

    You're not coming off that way at all! I'm actually glad you posted the pic cause it's true! I think maybe a lot of women including myself have been conditioned to thinking this way?

    I would agree with that. Most of the women in my office are yo-yo dieters and any time they tell me they're "trying to eat right", they come to work with a tiny salad that looks like it's made for a baby. No meat. WHO would be satisfied with that??

    It's such a small part of the picture too. I wonder how many are eating that tiny little salad and feeling deprived all day and then eat enough to completely destroy their deficit for the day after leaving work.