What foods surprised you the most, calorie-wise?

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    How do you guys cook your green beans where they don't just taste blah?!

Soy sauce, garlic, and a dash of sesame oil.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Vegetables always get me. It looks like so much food. It just can't be right. Then I think fruit must have few calories, because I group them together in my mind. Nope.
    How do you guys cook your green beans where they don't just taste blah?!
    If were changing the subject, braise in white wine with chopped tomatoes.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Fruit! Mangoes, apples, bananas... all calorie bombs :o
    I love and eat pears regularly, but it still shocks me to see how many calories they are.

uhh...apples?! haha, whatever u say
    137 grams of spinach = 38 calories
    137 grams of a golden delicious = 78

I'd eat the apple if I wanted a less than 100 calorie snack, but fruit is something I do not eat on my fast days.

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes: Still very manageable, but disappointing to find how many more calories they have than other vegetables.

Eighteen calories per 100g seems on the low side to me, considering carrots are 35/100g, green beans are 31/100g, broccoli is 34/100g, etc.! It's funny how we each see "low" and "high" in terms of calories, nutrients, and whatnot. :)

Beans were a big shock for me. After years of hearing about how beans were the low-cal alternative to meat, I was pretty surprised to find out how caloric they are. I still like them, but that was a disappointing moment for my volume-loving self.

• Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    By far, the biggest surprise I found out about is Cheesecake Factory Bruleed French Toast. It supposedly comes out to 2,780 calories. Just by looking at it, it doesn't seem like it should be anywhere near that high.

Source: chron.com/life/health/slideshow/How-many-calories-are-in-that-fast-food-68143/photo-6661657.php
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

100 calories for a fruit is a lot though frankly. They're really filling to me though.
    By far, the biggest surprise I found out about is Cheesecake Factory Bruleed French Toast. It supposedly comes out to 2,780 calories. Just by looking at it, it doesn't seem like it should be anywhere near that high.

Source: chron.com/life/health/slideshow/How-many-calories-are-in-that-fast-food-68143/photo-6661657.php

I wish there was real nutrition info posted for Cheesecake Factory stuff. The nutrition I found for the creme brulee French toast is 1400. It doesn't come with bacon either. So it's kinda odd (I had it 3 years ago or something. So tasty).
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Any and all veggies, on the grill whenever I can. Doesn't matter what kind, I have made it work and the flavour... <3
  • ashlepersuasion
    ashlepersuasion Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Packaged salads or salads from fast food places.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

100 calories for a fruit is a lot though frankly. They're really filling to me though.

I wish there was real nutrition info posted for Cheesecake Factory stuff. The nutrition I found for the creme brulee French toast is 1400. It doesn't come with bacon either. So it's kinda odd (I had it 3 years ago or something. So tasty).

I agree, I don't know how they can get away with not having full nutritional information. I thought there were laws in some states like NY requiring them.
  • Francl27
    Options

I agree, I don't know how they can get away with not having full nutritional information. I thought there were laws in some states like NY requiring them.

Well they don't have a restaurant in NY, I wonder if it's on purpose...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Yes they have some in NY where I live.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Low calorie surprise (which some of you already know): Egg whites.

5g protein and 25cal per "egg".
    Take 4 of those, scramble them with cheese and bacon bits, and you have a surprisingly filling breakfast at under 200 calories in all.
  • Francl27
    Options

Really? Couldn't see any on their website. But then they'd have to post the nutrition info there, but I suppose we'd have to rely on people on MFP to put the accurate info in the database too.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The Cheesecake Factory nutritional information is only available in states that require it and only in hard copy. Someone was nice enough to take pictures and post it however, link below.

http://calorielab.com/news/cheesecake-factory-calorie-counter/
  • Francl27
    edited November 2016
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    The Cheesecake Factory nutritional information is only available in states that require it and only in hard copy. Someone was nice enough to take pictures and post it however, link below.

http://calorielab.com/news/cheesecake-factory-calorie-counter/

Thanks for posting this. At least we know that their portions are huge, but still. Yikes.

But 70 calories for blue cheese dressing? WTF?

On a side note, totally shocked that the crab hash from brunch is only 880 calories. I loved it but thought it was way more than that. And still not quite believing the 2400 calories for the French toast. Hmm.

And I do wonder where people who entered information on MFP got their data from, as it's not the same at all for most items.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

There's one at Destiny here in Syracuse.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Good surprise: cheese-a serving was more than I thought once I started weighing it. Yay! Bacon-at 45 calories a slice, no need to give it up! Double yay! Dark chocolate-reasonable portions super manageable. Winning!
    Bad surprise: SODA. Didn't take me long at all to give that up once I realized the calories. Hummus. I thought it was healthy!!! Tomatoes: Still very manageable, but disappointing to find how many more calories they have than other vegetables.

Just because a food isn't low calorie doesn't make in unhealthy.
  • dwatkins23
    dwatkins23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Avocado, hummus, almond butter, olives (esp. the coconut kind - YUMMO). Gah, all my faves but I have to really watch the portioning on them. Cause I could seriously eat my weight in all of them and not bat an eye LOL
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You know those teeny tiny fun sized Almond Joys? 220 calories. for one. ugh silly coconut

Should be 80.

I think fun size anything is about 80. At one time or another, I think I've looked them all up!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Bad: Coffee creamer. I use milk at home but cream tubs or creamer at work. When people say they don't bother to log their coffee? Yeah, that can get you in trouble.
    Bad: cocktails. If its called tonic "water," why does it have so many calories? PHFFFFFTTTT.

Good: For me, it was cheese. I weighted my usual amoutn of cheese I add to a burrito and discovered I was using way less than I'd been logging. They say that an ounce is "two dice" or "a domino," but they must play with enormous dice.

With beans, you have to remember they're not a substitute for just meat, they're also a carb, so if you sub them for meat and still have a big carb side, you're not lowering anything... I love them and eat a lot of them, but yeah, not low-calorie.