Number of meals per/day

Options
Just curious on how many meals/snacks I should be having per day, I'm on 1390 calories per day without exercise added in.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    As many as you want. :)

I have 2 meals and a whole bunch of snacks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Eat at intervals that best works for you. Whatever keeps you most satisfied and works with your schedule will likely be best for you. Unless of course you have a medical need to eat at certain intervals, in which case you should stick with your doctor's recommendation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's up to you to find out and decide, and most importantly, stick to.

If you want to lose weight, you'll be looking for a meal pattern that makes you less inclined to overeat. No meal pattern is objectively best to achieve that (if that were true, that'd be known, and taught is schools, etc, and you wouldn't be asking), some are just easier for some people to stick to, and some are easier for other people to stick to. You'll still have to do some work, and temptations will still be there, but if you plan your meals and shop smart, maybe cook more, get enough sleep and rest, exercise, have fun, stay calm, those temptations will be a lot easier to resist.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    5 total - 3 main meals plus 2 snacks
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast, then a snack (usually a protein shake), lunch with a "free" veggie, then later a snack, dinner, and a snack before dinner. These are nutrisystem meals, and their snacks and shakes. I plan to follow something similar as I wean myself off when I get to maintenance. This way I am eating act every 3-4 hours so I am satisfied most days.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/meal frequency is a preference thing, just figure out what works best for your schedule and lifestyle :)
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat like a hobbitt...

Breakfast - 8 AM - <500 cal
    Elevenses - 11 AM - <200 cal
    Luncheon - 1 PM - <500 cal
    Tea - 3 PM - <200 cal
    Dinner - 6 PM - <500 cal
    Supper - 8 PM - <100 cal

You results may vary.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I tend to have either three meals and two snacks or two meals, one snack, and some wine or beer. There is no "should," other than you should eat according to your calorie and nutrient goals!
  • georgia2034
    georgia2034 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want as long as you stay within goals.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Matters none.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Whenever you feel hungry mate
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1390 would be a nice meal for me.

Meal timing and how you split your meals up is completely up to you and will have no effect on your weight loss. Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit (or amputation).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake or smaller lunch and then a large dinner. I dont eat additional snacks or breakfast. I prefer one large meal.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    5-6 for me, there's pre-workout (usually just coffee or a pre-workout drink), breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, dinner, and late snack. The late snack is optional and I generally only eat it if I need more fiber or protein and have the calories left. Typically my late snack consists of some no sugar added ice cream (lots of fiber and low calorie) to push my fiber macro up where I want it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The amount of meals that keeps you functioning and satisfied.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Experiment a little and remember its okay to change it up if you want variety. I did the 6 small, frequent meals for a while. Now I'm doing 3 bigger meals every 5ish hours with a few small, usually vegetable based snacks as needed. I find that both keep me satisfied as long as I eat enough calories with a good mix of protein and fat but the small meals was starting to make me a slave to food and my hanger was frightening if pushed past my meal timing. Thats purely personal though
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As many as you need to not feel hungry :) Don't forget which foods you eat wil change how fast you get hungry.

Personally, for that range I'd eat around 350 cals about 7AM (with lots of protein), about 400 lunch at 12, a 100 mostly veggie/greek yogurt dip snack at 3, about 500 dinner around 7 PM
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    As many as you want it doesn't matter. I prefer very small meals and multiple snacks, some people do 3 meals, some eat once a day.

As long as you stick to your calories it doesn't really matter - just do what you like best.