Keeping my mind occupied while running....

Options
I'm doing the C25K program, am up to 25 mins, but I'm finding that even with music, it's hard to focus on anything but how much longer I have to go. Does anyone run while listening to audio books? Or maybe just silence? I think I might try without music on my next one, see if my own brain will find something to think about. I love having music to motivate, but I find sometimes I need something to keep my mind occupied.

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I do silence if I'm in a pretty place I'm not bored of; books and Zombies, Run! app if I'm not.
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books when I run! I'm training for a marathon and there was this one time I got completely into a book and accidently ran 13 miles.

That made me literally lol. Pretty sure I won't accidentally run too much further past the end!

Zombie apocolypse you say....that might be something to try. I can't do anything on my phone that uses up too much data so not sure I could do podcasts, unless you can save them?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started running when I started playing Ingress.com I would run downtown from portal to portal and capture it. I counted my milage one day and it was 7 miles. Holy crap I am a runner now. I now only use it if I have had a long break to get back into it. Just music for me and the Runtastic app to call out my pace and time. Bluetooth headphones a must.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends very much where I'm running. I've done audio-books, podcasts, music and just getting in tune with the environment.

If I'm trail running I don't use anything, it's nice to just enjoy the space and freedom. Watch the trees, the wildlife and the views.

If I'm training in a built environment then I'm more likely to use something but I can download Podcasts at home and listen to them. Talk Ultra gives me about 3 hours worth of content.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I can't really help you I get lost in music on my runs! Trail running...I listen to the wonderful sounds of the river, my feet on the ground ( right now the crunch of leaves under my feet ), my breath, birds....it's so peaceful!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    april1779 wrote: »
    I listen to audio books when I run! I'm training for a marathon and there was this one time I got completely into a book and accidently ran 13 miles.

That made me literally lol. Pretty sure I won't accidentally run too much further past the end!

Zombie apocolypse you say....that might be something to try. I can't do anything on my phone that uses up too much data so not sure I could do podcasts, unless you can save them?

The Zombies, Run! app is nice because you can download each episode while you're on wi-fi and not stream it. However, if you use its GPS tracking it uses data, of course (however, you can turn that off and do step counting or constant pace tracking instead.) I just logged my thousandth mile using the app this week so I think it's fair to say I'm a fan.

I have Spotify premium too so I can download playlists, audiobooks, podcasts, etc and play on my run without using data, which I've found is worth the money because if you're running multiple times a week, listening to the same stuff can be deadly dull.

When I treadmill, I usually bring my tablet and read an ebook while I run, which turns the treadmill into a pretty enjoyable experience for me. It's great to get a big chunk of uninterrupted reading time.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have to run and race to music... I can't stand to hear my footsteps and breathing.. I can actually do some running workouts to beats of songs..

Heck if I get bored on a Saturday's 9 mile run I am in for some deep trouble..
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Podcasts. Sometimes I listen to something funny, sometimes inspirational. TED Talks can be good. Right now, it's Judge John Hodgeman :)
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not listening to the right music.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    As you get used to running and each run isn't a 'long' run, you may find you no longer focus on how much further you have to go and you learn to just enjoy the experience. I found this to be true.

FWIW, If I am alone, I always listen to music. I try to run with others a much as possible. Sometimes talking while running makes you forget you are running. :)
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I'm thinking I might have to try this. Where do you get audio books from??
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I enjoy listening to audio books while running. For myself, I have to find a book I enjoy but don't mind setting aside until my next run. It's a tricky balance at times.
    My library has preloaded cassettes. All I add is a battery and my ear buds. Perhaps your library also has them? Worth checking out.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm walking on a treadmill at home at this point. I turn on a hockey game and can do 2 out of 3 periods. Hell. I'd be watching them anyway so I may as well be on the treadmill instead of the couch. Plus I can't eat a bag of chips on the treadmill.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm able to focus more on podcasts when I run than when I'm at work or cleaning.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Zombies app do they have something like that for the ipod?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    there's a 5k training app that puts you into a zombie apocalypse, you're part of the story line and when the zombies are coming after you - that's your run interval. i love it.

I tried this ages back and it didn't work on a treadmill, it used GPS :( So sad.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    there's a 5k training app that puts you into a zombie apocalypse, you're part of the story line and when the zombies are coming after you - that's your run interval. i love it.

I tried this ages back and it didn't work on a treadmill, it used GPS :( So sad.

@MelanieCN77 Sometime between then and now they definitely added "Steady Pace" and "Accelerometer" options, in addition to the GPS.