Keeping my mind occupied while running....

Options

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I tried the Zombies, run! app but didn't like it. The story line was stupid and I didn't like having to run away from zombies. It just didn't sit well with me.

I like audiobooks (audible or ibooks or Librivox for freebies) or podcasts. Funny stuff is great - I've just listened to about a year's worth of No Such Thing as a Fish. The Serial podcast had me hooked last year. And I like the BBC Food Program and individual stories from ABC Life Matters (Australia). But you have to find something that is interesting for you.
    I download them at home, then play them offline when I'm out so they don't use any data when I'm out of the house.

Don't feel bad for wanting some entertainment besides what's going on around you, that's perfectly fine, no need to get all elitist about it.
    I mix things up and with books, podcasts, sometimes music (I have a mix with songs that have a good beat that keep me going on long runs but I'm out of practice at the moment and only going for short runs, so am sticking with books) and occasionally nothing, depending on where I am.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "am up to 25 mins, but I'm finding that even with music, it's hard to focus on anything but how much longer I have to go."

I don't know, this seems kinda sad. Is your life so empty that there is nothing to contemplate for 25 minutes while out on a run? Is there nothing to think about for that time? Is there no imagination with which to fill this time? Have we finally come to that time where if we are not entertained by some outside influence we are hopeless and bored?

You can't check on your form, your surroundings, your neighbors going about there daily business, your day's events and how they went, what could have gone better and how to make tomorrow better? Remember fond times gone by? Think of good times to come? How much better you've become and how much better you will yet be? Work on a mantra that the propels you forward; a poem you read once, had read to you, that you should write? Running is a time where you are free to have all and any thoughts, mull them over discard those that are less than good and hone those that are good and can be better.

If all you can think about is how much further you have to go, perhaps running ain't for you.

Pretty *kitten* and negative. Perhaps advice giving ain't for you.

Aw c'mon. She asked what she should think about. really? I thought I gave some pretty positive ideas. She really has NOTHING to focus on except the end of her run.

You could have made all the the suggestions without being dismissive. A beginner, fighting for fitness one minute, one breath at a time often focuses on getting it done and a distraction is a welcome relief. Been there, done that, still use some of the same techniques. You wanna criticize ME for it?

EDIT: I remember very clearly when I began to be able to think about things other than breathing and moving my feet for a few seconds at a time.

Nope, I notice that you were not focusing solely on the end of your run but on your form, breathing et al. Pretty much one of the things I suggested she do.

I may be missing the obvious. If she really can't think about anything other than ending her run, she is clearly going too fast for her stage in training and should dial it back to a "conversational pace". Slow it down, get out of pain, and start enjoying the run, look at you surroundings, check your form and breathing, write a poem, solve the world's problems... Not only will she be able to think she should be able to sing. ;-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "am up to 25 mins, but I'm finding that even with music, it's hard to focus on anything but how much longer I have to go."

I don't know, this seems kinda sad. Is your life so empty that there is nothing to contemplate for 25 minutes while out on a run? Is there nothing to think about for that time? Is there no imagination with which to fill this time? Have we finally come to that time where if we are not entertained by some outside influence we are hopeless and bored?

You can't check on your form, your surroundings, your neighbors going about there daily business, your day's events and how they went, what could have gone better and how to make tomorrow better? Remember fond times gone by? Think of good times to come? How much better you've become and how much better you will yet be? Work on a mantra that the propels you forward; a poem you read once, had read to you, that you should write? Running is a time where you are free to have all and any thoughts, mull them over discard those that are less than good and hone those that are good and can be better.

If all you can think about is how much further you have to go, perhaps running ain't for you.

I get where you're coming from, running is very meditative for me and I can solve all of the world's problems during a good run. You probably came off a little harsher than intended......social media is not great for nuance.

I, and I suspect most runners, however can relate to it being a little bit grueling at first. I can recall aiming for that 5K continuous running and struggling......
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Aw c'mon. She asked what she should think about. really? I thought I gave some pretty positive ideas. She really has NOTHING to focus on except the end of her run.

You could have made all the the suggestions without being dismissive. A beginner, fighting for fitness one minute, one breath at a time often focuses on getting it done and a distraction is a welcome relief. Been there, done that, still use some of the same techniques. You wanna criticize ME for it?

EDIT: I remember very clearly when I began to be able to think about things other than breathing and moving my feet for a few seconds at a time.

Nope, I notice that you were not focusing solely on the end of your run but on your form, breathing et al. Pretty much one of the things I suggested she do.

I may be missing the obvious. If she really can't think about anything other than ending her run, she is clearly going too fast for her stage in training and should dial it back to a "conversational pace". Slow it down, get out of pain, and start enjoying the run, look at you surroundings, check your form and breathing, write a poem, solve the world's problems... Not only will she be able to think she should be able to sing. ;-)

OP, a brand new runner, asked for suggestions. You called her life empty. Implied that she had no imagination. Said that she was hopeless and bored unless she had outside entertainment. Suggested that she quit.

Plus, singing? Maybe that's an advanced maneuver.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's more about finding the right pace for you. If I am running at a challenging pace, then, yes, I think about how much further I have to go the whole way. But when I am out on a slow, easy run, I can easily zone out because I am running at a pace that feels like I can run forever. Only then can I appreciate how good it feels to be out there running, how good the air feels on my face and how lucky I am to be able to experience the sounds and smells of nature or see the beautiful sunrise or sunset. Even if you are still doing walk/run intervals, you should try going at a pace that is not too difficult that all you can think about is getting it over with. Nothing wrong with slowing down.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

nope. singing is an excellent way of ensuring you are running at the best pace to build endurance. If you can't sing, you are going too fast, even as a beginner who is struggling with the whole concept of running in the first place.

A beginner weightlifter goes slowly, practices form sometimes without any weights on at all. They do this repeatedly until they get it right, to prevent future injuries. So why shouldn't a runner try the same thing, concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and ensure everything they are doing is designed to ensure maximum efficiency and comfort, leading to enjoyment. If you can't find a way to enjoy it, don't run.

• Sara1791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

nope. singing is an excellent way of ensuring you are running at the best pace to build endurance. If you can't sing, you are going too fast, even as a beginner who is struggling with the whole concept of running in the first place.

A beginner weightlifter goes slowly, practices form sometimes without any weights on at all. They do this repeatedly until they get it right, to prevent future injuries. So why shouldn't a runner try the same thing, concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and ensure everything they are doing is designed to ensure maximum efficiency and comfort, leading to enjoyment. If you can't find a way to enjoy it, don't run.

Interesting. Guess I've got old information then.

ETA: and OP is looking for ways to enjoy it, to get better at it, to continue to the point where she sees all these benefits. Not for hints to quit. If you quit everything when you first start because it's hard, you'd never do anything wonderful.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

OP, a brand new runner, asked for suggestions. You called her life empty. Implied that she had no imagination. Said that she was hopeless and bored unless she had outside entertainment. Suggested that she quit.

YES SINGING! At a conversational pace you should be able to sing "Happy Birthday to You" without gasping for breath. One of the easy markers for telling if you are at the right, or at a too fast, pace.
  • Sara1791
    Options

YES SINGING! At a conversational pace you should be able to sing "Happy Birthday to You" without gasping for breath. One of the easy markers for telling if you are at the right, or at a too fast, pace.

See? a new and interesting suggestion that could have been made without the snark.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Singing is a great way to ensure you are not going too quickly. However, it is still tough when you start from zero. This is doubly true if you are out of shape and over weight. It takes time to get to the point where you can focus on anything other than the run.

OP - Don't give up. If you find after a few months you still don't enjoy running, find something you do enjoy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I seem to recall one of my coaches telling us that being able to sing was a good gauge of hitting recovery pace which is a great place for a new runner to be.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I tried AudioBooks while training for my marathon (2-3 hour runs... ugh!). I found them interesting, but I personally comprehend more when I physically read a book with my own eyes. If you're a learner who learns well by listening, then definitely try them! I am a visual learner; that's why I didn't exactly love them. If you download the Audible app, I'm nearly positive that you'll get one free audiobook to start with. Just try it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nothing- I don't listen to anything or music or podcasts. I live to close to dangerous areas to have my ears blocked at all. I need to be 100% attentive.

But honestly I like the time to unplug and contemplate life AND also to not ponder anything. Just let my brain go and focus on the steps of my feet and my breathing. it's okay to think about nothing. or everything.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm too much in my head as it is. I don't need to be there while running, too. Music is a must for me if I'm running alone. I like Zombies, Run but don't bother with the chases. They're too random to useful in a structured running program. I've not tried podcasts or audibooks, but I imagine those would work just fine as well.

Personally, if I'd have had nothing to listen to when I started out I'd have probably quit. Running didn't get enjoyable until I reached a certain level of fitness. Once I didn't feel like my heart was pounding, or have to shake out the soreness from my last run every time, or have my soft tissues constantly complaining from the unexpected stress, then I could appreciate it.
  • jillbotterill
    jillbotterill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a mount for my iPad that sits at eye level when I'm on the treadmill. Add some Bluetooth headphones and I'm good to go. I also need to keep my brain buse or I focus too much on time left. So I watch Netflix, or apps like ctv go and my ffavorite shows for running. If I d9nt run......well let's say it's a real incentive!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    podcasts audiobooks and If I'm really struggling I have a few running playlist of fast paced music. I rember very vividly struggling on one of my first 4 mile runs and tapping the wrong playlist I got my son's favorite music instead of running stuff and ran/danced down the road to the gummy bear song.

I can't wait till I'm a good enough runner to not think about how much my long hills course sucks. When that happens though I'll find bigger hills and hate them too. I do have nice easy running routes but sometimes you just have to make your runs suck to get better.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I got my son's favorite music instead of running stuff and ran/danced down the road to the gummy bear song.

..... but sometimes you just have to make your runs suck to get better.

I had to laugh at the gummy bear song but we've got to do what we've got to do, right? :smile:

So true about making some runs suck in order to get better. I do enjoy my "long, slow" runs and they are great for my stamina but it's the hilly or shorter, faster runs that push my limits.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I won't listen to anything when running or walking outside as I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and anyone that might be nearby. I have a fairly good imagination though so I usually have something going on that entertains me. I've been designing my dream home lately. I do listen to fast paced music when I'm inside on the treadmill. Has to have a fast beat though and lyrics I can sing along to.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling to keep my mind occupied whilst running. I listen to music but have tried podcasts and audiobooks but they don't work for me.

Its getting to the point now where after 15 minutes on the treadmill, my mind is telling me to stop and do something else; physically I could keep going.

I wish I knew the answer.