Keeping my mind occupied while running....

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Think about the food you will have earned
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Voting podcasts too.

I used to listen to music but I found it frustrating over time. I did try an audiobook but the pace wasn't there for me. The readers vary so much, it is a bit potluck I think.

Then I discovered podcasts. I liked Serial Season 1 (hated 2, gave up after 3 episodes), PlantMoney (not actually about finances at all), Up and Vanished is great, I loved David Baddiel Tries to Understand too but I ran out of them.

There is really something for everyone.

With regard to storage, I use the Podcast Republic app and you can set it to automatically delete an episode once you've listened to it. I only download mine on wifi to protect my data.

Good luck!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    there's a 5k training app that puts you into a zombie apocalypse, you're part of the story line and when the zombies are coming after you - that's your run interval. i love it.

I tried this ages back and it didn't work on a treadmill, it used GPS :( So sad.

@MelanieCN77 Sometime between then and now they definitely added "Steady Pace" and "Accelerometer" options, in addition to the GPS.

Yes, I do treadmill workouts with the app all the time using the "steady pace" option (with zombie chases off) but if you wear your phone you can use the "step counting" option and do the chases if you're varying your speed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I listen to podcasts when I walk.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "am up to 25 mins, but I'm finding that even with music, it's hard to focus on anything but how much longer I have to go."

I don't know, this seems kinda sad. Is your life so empty that there is nothing to contemplate for 25 minutes while out on a run? Is there nothing to think about for that time? Is there no imagination with which to fill this time? Have we finally come to that time where if we are not entertained by some outside influence we are hopeless and bored?

You can't check on your form, your surroundings, your neighbors going about there daily business, your day's events and how they went, what could have gone better and how to make tomorrow better? Remember fond times gone by? Think of good times to come? How much better you've become and how much better you will yet be? Work on a mantra that the propels you forward; a poem you read once, had read to you, that you should write? Running is a time where you are free to have all and any thoughts, mull them over discard those that are less than good and hone those that are good and can be better.

If all you can think about is how much further you have to go, perhaps running ain't for you.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "am up to 25 mins, but I'm finding that even with music, it's hard to focus on anything but how much longer I have to go."

I don't know, this seems kinda sad. Is your life so empty that there is nothing to contemplate for 25 minutes while out on a run? Is there nothing to think about for that time? Is there no imagination with which to fill this time? Have we finally come to that time where if we are not entertained by some outside influence we are hopeless and bored?

You can't check on your form, your surroundings, your neighbors going about there daily business, your day's events and how they went, what could have gone better and how to make tomorrow better? Remember fond times gone by? Think of good times to come? How much better you've become and how much better you will yet be? Work on a mantra that the propels you forward; a poem you read once, had read to you, that you should write? Running is a time where you are free to have all and any thoughts, mull them over discard those that are less than good and hone those that are good and can be better.

If all you can think about is how much further you have to go, perhaps running ain't for you.

Pretty *kitten* and negative. Perhaps advice giving ain't for you.

No, you're only allowed to run if you think deep thoughts while you're doing it...haha.

OP, it's okay if it's just exercise for you, it doesn't have to be a meditative experience. If it is, that's great, but don't let the elitist stuff discourage you. It IS hard at first, and while it will get easier both physically and mentally with practice, there's no reason not to ease it where you can.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't run with music, I have the extreme good fortune to live a few hundred metres away from scenic recreational paths and when I run I listen to the rhythm of my breathing & footfalls, the sounds of nature (the river, birds etc) & oncoming bikes.
    Man, this makes me miss the park I used to run in. There were plenty of wooded areas and unpaved trails for awesome nature sounds. I would do a run a week without anything to listen to there.

• davepete57
    davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use running playlists I create on Spotify. I have the set up various length and tempo runs. It helps me maintain a good pace
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    YouTube Red!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I listen to music and have an app that reports on various stats, pace, time, distance, etc., every half mile. I just sorta zone out and run. It's like my meditation. I'm assuming you're running outside? Treadmills are the spawn of Satan as far as boredom goes. Audio books sound like a good idea. My running app of choice, Runtastic, even offers a few free choices. Haven't tried it though.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I second zombies run, it's amazing. I listen to books on Audible now though, only way I can keep entertained on a long run.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I sort of agree with the idea that being able to occupy your mind in that twenty odd minutes shouldn't be hard. It could be concentrating on your breathing, or thinking about your form (actually you SHOULD spend some time checking in on your form, whatever you do), or if you're outside taking time to smell the roses as you run past

But if I'm on a treadmill, that time is interminable. I'm less in control of how my feet fall, and I can't micro-adjust my speed. Earlier this year I was listening to The Archers on podcast as a way through it. Episodes are 12/13 minutes long so a couple of those were just fine. Except the storyline was about domestic abuse, and I found myself getting angry out loud, which isn't the thing to do in a gym so maybe find a bit less intense storyline!!!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill, I catch up on TV I've missed and high tempo dance tunes towards the end. Outside, any lively music does me as I find running outside easier, as long as it's not blowing a gale or too hot.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Aw c'mon. She asked what she should think about. really? I thought I gave some pretty positive ideas. She really has NOTHING to focus on except the end of her run.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Aw c'mon. She asked what she should think about. really? I thought I gave some pretty positive ideas. She really has NOTHING to focus on except the end of her run.

You could have made all the the suggestions without being dismissive. A beginner, fighting for fitness one minute, one breath at a time often focuses on getting it done and a distraction is a welcome relief. Been there, done that, still use some of the same techniques. You wanna criticize ME for it?

EDIT: I remember very clearly when I began to be able to think about things other than breathing and moving my feet for a few seconds at a time.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love music -- but sometimes I like to keep moving my heart rate around (using my monitor) which can keep me pretty focused -- up to 80 or 85% of my max and then down to 65% -- time goes by faster when I do this. I come up with a plan for how long to stay at my 80% vs. my 65 % (basically interval training). Another thing that makes it kind of meditative that I learned in a workshop called Chi running is to move focus up and down the body -- but mostly I need music because he freaks me out to hear my breathing (heavy)!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

I personally have a super active mind and a fairly stressful life and the last thing I want is time to chew on stuff. Maybe that'll lighten up in the future but you never know what people have going on, and also running is *kitten* when you're not good at it yet so distract away if that's your thing, I say.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Just try some different things and find what works for you. I personally love music and singing along. Some people enjoy audiobooks or pod casts. Some enjoy just focusing on breathing and their form. If I'm trail running, I don't listen to music at all, just nature, my breathing and the sound of my feet. That's my true favorite.