Who do I trust?

Options
2»

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Get a really good digital scale for home- preferably one that also measures body fat % & muscle/lean mass. Only weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking.

Ignore all other scales.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Get a really good digital scale for home- preferably one that also measures body fat % & muscle/lean mass. Only weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking.

Ignore all other scales.

No matter how "good" or "bad" your scale is repeated measurements on the same scale over time will allow you to determine if you are losing weight and at what rate. Don't need anything fancy and honestly the "fancy" ones aren't any better at telling you how much weight you are losing per unit time than any other scale. Accuracy for any given single measurement doesn't end up mattering when establishing a trend.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 scales at home. They differ by ~ 5 pounds. The digital one is more and is the one I use daily. Can't get the .2 numbers off the needle scale. If I were to weigh elsewhere, I would weigh myself, go straight home and weigh myself on the home scale with the same clothes etc. on and just keep in mind whatever the difference is. But I'll stick to one scale (although it gave me grief this morning and may be tossed out) and watch the trend.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The scale at my gym shows me about 5 lbs more than home. I weight at home only once a week and do a full body composition with it (it's a nicer one, not a cheap Walmart one). But I weigh every day at the gym. So I just pay attention to the trend. Both are trending in the right direction so I don't worry about it. When I'm down at the gym I know I'll have a good official reading Saturday at home. :smile:

I've had cheap body composition scales and I could step on them 5 times in a row and get different readings every time.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Tonyrebuilt Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Ignore all other scales.

Exactly what I'm going to do.