What foods surprised you the most, calorie-wise?

Options

Replies

• drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    dwatkins23 wrote: »
    Avocado, hummus, almond butter, olives (esp. the coconut kind - YUMMO). Gah, all my faves but I have to really watch the portioning on them. Cause I could seriously eat my weight in all of them and not bat an eye LOL

Sabra Basil Pesto Hummus with only a spoon :DDD
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    With beans, you have to remember they're not a substitute for just meat, they're also a carb, so if you sub them for meat and still have a big carb side, you're not lowering anything... I love them and eat a lot of them, but yeah, not low-calorie.

Yeah, I think I explained my thinking badly! What I meant was that after years of recommendations to have beans instead of meat, I assumed beans would be lower in calories than a similar volume of meat -- say, that a cup of beans would be significantly lower in calories than 6oz of chicken or steak. I expected to be able to eat a higher volume of beans than meat for the same number of calories. So that was a bummer.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water. I just hate flavored sparkling water and regular sparkling water, tastes so bad
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    Sparkling water. I just hate flavored sparkling water and regular sparkling water, tastes so bad

haha...was this intentional?
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    The Cheesecake Factory nutritional information is only available in states that require it and only in hard copy. Someone was nice enough to take pictures and post it however, link below.

http://calorielab.com/news/cheesecake-factory-calorie-counter/

CF is a nightmare on your waistline...that being said, the grilled chicken bacon avocado sandwich is 1000+ calories (w.o. fries ofc) and tastes amazingggg!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Whaaaaat? Sparkling water and club soda are the most fizzy delicious beverages ever. Throw in a slice of citrus and you have yourself a drink. Diet soda though... not worth the 0 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    The Cheesecake Factory nutritional information is only available in states that require it and only in hard copy. Someone was nice enough to take pictures and post it however, link below.

http://calorielab.com/news/cheesecake-factory-calorie-counter/

CF is a nightmare on your waistline...that being said, the grilled chicken bacon avocado sandwich is 1000+ calories (w.o. fries ofc) and tastes amazingggg!

Yeah but portions are crazy, to be honest. I remember having the lunch cobb salad or something and it was enough for 2 meals (before I even cared about how much I ate).

I really wonder how they manage to make a plain egg omelet 480 calories though.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise. I still can't quite understand how something so light can be so calorie dense, I'm pretty sure it defies physics.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise. I still can't quite understand how something so light can be so calorie dense, I'm pretty sure it defies physics.

olive oil, egg yolk and a little lemon juice, if i remember my convent-school domestic science class right.

i was pleasantly surprised by clams. can't remember the calorie count, but the iron is way way waaaaaay up there, so it was a pretty fair trade.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

olive oil, egg yolk and a little lemon juice, if i remember my convent-school domestic science class right.

i was pleasantly surprised by clams. can't remember the calorie count, but the iron is way way waaaaaay up there, so it was a pretty fair trade.

It's the olive oil which, as I suggested above, is both impolite and evil. :o
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

lol. if i told you what mayonnaise reminds me of, it would be both of those.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

lol. if i told you what mayonnaise reminds me of, it would be both of those.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Maybe go with the aioli instead. Wait--no!----go with the hollandaise---wait, what?---gahhh!!!!
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter </3
    Mayo, amount of calories is crazy
    Peanut butter cup B&J
    Any store bought salad
    Freshly squeezed orange juice

Positive ones:
    Almond milk
    Tomatoes
    Rice
    Apples <3
    Store bought soup
    Berries

• JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Probably obvious but Pizza, I never knew how many calories were in just ONE slice.
  • kirstycochranek
    kirstycochranek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ooohh. Soup has been a blessing for sure. I eat soup several times a week.

Salad dressing got a big "booooo" from me. Not even enough to make salad worth it. I'd rather have plain fresh veggies than a lame-o salad.

try walden farms dressings... 0 calories and don't taste like plastic either!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ooohh. Soup has been a blessing for sure. I eat soup several times a week.

Salad dressing got a big "booooo" from me. Not even enough to make salad worth it. I'd rather have plain fresh veggies than a lame-o salad.

try walden farms dressings... 0 calories and don't taste like plastic either!!

that's debatable! LOL
  • kirstycochranek
    kirstycochranek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We went to a Vegan restaurant, thinking that it would automatically be low-calorie. That was the worst day since I started this weight loss thing... and we eat local pizza and Chick-Fil-A every now and then. They had none of the calories listed online, but they told us after we ate what was in it. The tiny meal was 1500 calories and packed with nuts (=fat). Never again.

I agree - vegan places tend to be as high in calories as fast food!! just because of the amount of nuts used in the dressings and sauces. And then the vegan desserts, almost all nuts and fat!!
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Muffins! I got a 4 pack of chocolate chip muffins awhile ago. Thought it'd be a nice treat. Read the nutritional values after I ate one and saw it was 600 calories!!! That'd be half my calories if I was still on 1,200. It was just so shocking! And peanut butter haha, I'd eat those by the spoonful before. Thank god for pbfit!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    We went to a Vegan restaurant, thinking that it would automatically be low-calorie. That was the worst day since I started this weight loss thing... and we eat local pizza and Chick-Fil-A every now and then. They had none of the calories listed online, but they told us after we ate what was in it. The tiny meal was 1500 calories and packed with nuts (=fat). Never again.

I agree - vegan places tend to be as high in calories as fast food!! just because of the amount of nuts used in the dressings and sauces. And then the vegan desserts, almost all nuts and fat!!

i'm a vegetarian (who is lactose intolerant) so I am generally ALL FOR vegan desserts... but you wouldn't believe the amount of crap i see on instagram and facebook that is labeled "SUPER HEALTHY GUILT FREE VEGAN DESSERT" or touted as a substitute for other common desserts. I cringe soooo hard because as you said many (if not MOST) have far more calories than the original item they are trying to emulate.

Dates and cashews as a crust? there goes 1,400 calories. Soaked cashews as a "cheesecake" filling? There goes another 2,000. Don't get me started on the peanut butter or almond butter...

I could go on, but it is just AWFUL and DECEITFUL and i do my best to call all of these people out. Shame on anyone who purposely tries to deceive others into thinking that something is more healthy/lower calories simply because it is vegan.

https://www.facebook.com/eatingbirdfood/videos/1332980726720873/

https://www.facebook.com/tastemade/videos/1191218440965321/

P.S. Here's one i saw just the other day.... at this point, have a real freakin donut!