I can't stop eating!

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Since you are a stay at home mom, imagine what you would do for someone else in your circumstances and mother yourself. You deserve to take the time to get healthy and as a result will be a good role model for your children.
    :)
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, really appreciate it. It's mainly when I'm in the office I have the attitude I noted (perhaps I need a new job haha!). I'm going to give it my best shot though, not only for my weight gain but for my health!

I found the same thing I would just scoff down chocolate when I was in the office cause I was bored. I find that I need about 5 different strategies to stop eating the chocolate - walk to the bathroom, drink a glass of water, eat some fruit or carrots, get a cup of herbal tea, change the task I'm doing. Doing some or all of the above has helped me break the chocolate habit when I'm in work.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I take it you are logging everything you eat, including the sweet treats?

If not, start doing this. Never skip logging. Nothing will change your perception of that chocolate bar so much as having to enter it on MFP and see the effect on the numbers, again and again and again.

If you already log everything, fine. I mention it because a surprising number of people skip logging when they "fall off the wagon" - which only enables the overeating. The first step to addressing a problem is to get it into the open where you can see it.
    Yep. It is SO hard to look those numbers dead in the eye. But it's good medicine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When I can't stop thinking about eating, I tell myself I can have it in XX minutes. Then I try to go do something physical - take a walk, etc. Usually, if I can put off the craving and get in a little exercise, the craving goes away. If it doesn't, I log it and have it.

I also pre-log my food for the day, so I know what kind of wiggle room I have for the day. Like today, I have ZERO wiggle room.4bxn08504exr.jpg

But, as you can see, I've also pre-logged my half-pint of Ben and Jerry's. That stuff is so good, there is NO WAY I'm going to snack on something else throughout the day and not let myself have the ice cream.

Some days, I have plenty of wiggle room. That allows for office treats, etc.

Hope that doesn't represent a normal day. Almost 1/3 of the calorie from high calorie, low nutrition food.
  • 123dola
    123dola Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try cutting the carbs way down and fill up on low carb veggies, protein and healthy fats. I tried cutting out all sugar and gluten but was still always hungry. I read that many fruits and potatoes and other carb heavy foods can keep you craving. I tried cutting carbs and my cravings have finally subsided. Drink plenty of water too so your body doesn't confuse thirst with hunger.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well, but not as bad from the way you describe it. Someone told me about Overeaters Anonymous and I am going to my first meeting this Monday! Google it and see if there is anything in your area! I was shocked that they actually had something like this in my area
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    do you really want to change? If you do.. take some time a day or so.. to look back at your behavior. Just be objective and rerun your life in your mind. Where do you go wrong? If you take time to examine your behavior or observe it.. You will be able to fine where you go wrong and fix it..

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    There are times when I think I am hungry. I try to find something to do, like read, clean, or even meal prep. I am usually not hungry anymore after a half hour.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    It's not that you can't. It's that you won't.
    You say you are extremely fussy.

Grow up and get over yourself.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    When I can't stop thinking about eating, I tell myself I can have it in XX minutes. Then I try to go do something physical - take a walk, etc. Usually, if I can put off the craving and get in a little exercise, the craving goes away. If it doesn't, I log it and have it.

I also pre-log my food for the day, so I know what kind of wiggle room I have for the day. Like today, I have ZERO wiggle room.4bxn08504exr.jpg

But, as you can see, I've also pre-logged my half-pint of Ben and Jerry's. That stuff is so good, there is NO WAY I'm going to snack on something else throughout the day and not let myself have the ice cream.

Hope that doesn't represent a normal day. Almost 1/3 of the calorie from high calorie, low nutrition food.

Way to positively contribute to helping the OP, Mr. Judgey McJudgerson. :neutral:

Actually I am trying to help the OP. The example showing 1/3 of a day's calories from ice cream isn't a good model for the OP who says they can eat 3 candy bars a day and want more.

The pre-logging is a great idea, just need to be aware that what is pre-logged represents a balanced diet. 1/3 of daily calories from a high fat, high added sugar source is not a balanced diet. Now if this was just an occasional thing, not big deal (my original post said hope this doesn't represent a typical day).
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Way to positively contribute to helping the OP, Mr. Judgey McJudgerson. :neutral:

Actually I am trying to help the OP. The example showing 1/3 of a day's calories from ice cream isn't a good model for the OP who says they can eat 3 candy bars a day and want more.

The pre-logging is a great idea, just need to be aware that what is pre-logged represents a balanced diet. 1/3 of daily calories from a high fat, high added sugar source is not a balanced diet. Now if this was just an occasional thing, not big deal (my original post said hope this doesn't represent a typical day).

Whatever your intentions you were critiquing someone who hadn't asked for it. It was unwelcome. She's doing just fine without your input.
  • Packerjohn
    edited November 2016
    Options

Meh. You did see the part where I basically hit all my macros (fat included!) and was under my calorie goal, right?!? Total and complete WIN!

You do you, and I'll do me. BTW, wanna have a deadlifting competition? I think I know who will win. >:)

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans state:

For most people, no more than about 5 to 15 percent of calories from solid fats and added sugars can be reasonably accommodated in the USDA Food Patterns,which are designed to meet nutrient needs
    within calorie limits.

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/dietary_guidelines_for_americans/PolicyDoc.pdf

Again holding up 30% of daily calories from nutritionally less dense foods is not a good example for the OP, maybe you're a special snowflake.

You can do yourself and that is fine. Personally don't think that's a good pattern for most people trying to lose or maintain weight. Each is entitled to their opinion (mine is backed up by data from experts at the USDA though).

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Meh. You did see the part where I basically hit all my macros (fat included!) and was under my calorie goal, right?!? Total and complete WIN!

You do you, and I'll do me. BTW, wanna have a deadlifting competition? I think I know who will win. >:)

For most people, no more than about 5 to 15 percent of calories from solid fats and added sugars can be reasonably accommodated in the USDA Food Patterns,which are designed to meet nutrient needs
    within calorie limits.

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/dietary_guidelines_for_americans/PolicyDoc.pdf

Again holding up 30% of daily calories from nutritionally less dense foods is not a good example for the OP.

You can do yourself and that is fine. Personally don't think that's a good pattern for most people trying to lose or maintain weight. Each is entitled to their opinion.

Fat and calcium are nutritionally necessary. You cannot see the rest of my day to know how my entire day looks nutritionally. Which is obviously on point, looking at my macros and calories.

shai61pmoy6a.gif
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    ... ... I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I want to ... ...

I think this is a reason behind a great many people's weight problems. I know in the past (and recently) I've caught myself wanting to put something in my mouth -- not b/c I'm hungry, but b/c I want something in my mouth that has a nice flavor. It's a kind of hedonism.

Everyone else's advice is pretty good. To whit:

* If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.
    * Low or no cal chewing gum.

When you have the urge to eat for no reason, it may help to "Check in" with yourself the same way someone in recovery might. Some acronyms:
    RID = Restless, Irritable, Discontent. Food doesn't fix these.
    DEADS = Delay, Escape, Accept, Dispute, Substitute.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

within calorie limits.

Again holding up 30% of daily calories from nutritionally less dense foods is not a good example for the OP, maybe you're a special snowflake.

You can do yourself and that is fine. Personally don't think that's a good pattern for most people trying to lose or maintain weight. Each is entitled to their opinion (mine is backed up by data from experts at the USDA though).

"Experts" who change their mind so frequently that even RDs have a hard time keeping up and/or base their decisions on studies sponsored by companies who want a result that makes their product sound good for you. They are HER macros, built for her weight loss journey and her life. The point was she is saving almost all of her fat for today for that ice cream. That's what she wants to do. OP can have her candy, IF it fits her macros.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    OP, if you have trouble eating too much chocolate at the office, then don't bring chocolate to the office. You cannot put something in your mouth that isn't at your desk. I personally won't buy a candy bar from the vending machine very often when I could have 6 from the grocery for the price of one from the machine.