How many calories do you gain per day through exercise?

Options
For maintainers/former crazy exercisers, how many calories do you 'gain' from your daily exercise and/or just walking about?

For those who exercised liked crazy during weight loss but calmed it back when they hit maintenance, how did you do it? (I'm struggling with this currently)

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    300-350 :)
    I suggest that you still exercise while maintaining as it helps a lot !
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    300-350 :)
    I suggest that you still exercise while maintaining as it helps a lot !

Oh definitely just don't want to keep up a crazy number. According to my adjustments etc. I was doing 1200 minimum a day and never ate any of it back, that was fine during the summer/for 6 or 7 months but now I need to maintain for the rest of my life and need to be realistic. I got lucky I had no injuries and little got in the way but I have to be realistic and be more reasonable. I know it's good but I have no intention of being an athlete so I shouldn't need to bust my body up now I've hit my goal
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Of purposeful exercise, 280.

Of me not being a lump for 16 hours, 900.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

What kind of 'purposeful' exercise do you do and do you eat back all 900?
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Fitbit calorie adjustment is usually somewhere between 600 and 1600 calories (activity level is set to sedentary.) Yes I eat all or most of them back. I don't decide beforehand I just eat what I'm hungry for and allow the rest to bank to cover logging errors and potential overages. A lot of that adjustment is just quick walks (10 to 15 minutes) during the day on my work breaks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    High for me was about 2000 calories per day on exercise/activity now about 1000/day. You just have to find time to do what you need do to keep fit. Exercise is great for maintenance and is the best predictor of keeping the weight off, but it's primarily for other health benefits. Find what works for you and that you can enjoy for a lifetime.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Curious why you weren't eating back exercise cals while losing OP? How much weight did you lose and how fast did you lose it? What were your net calories? How do you measure your exercise calories burned?

I would think for maintenance you would want to calculate your appropriate TDEE/maintenance calories and eat up to that level, not so much focusing on how many cals you earn from exercise. If you want to still use the MFP NEAT method where your cal goal is calculated without exercise factored in and you eat back exercise cals, that's fine, but I would still calculate your TDEE so you know what the top of your range should be.

My personal experience, I've always eaten back all my cals, first when I was using MFP estimates and then when I was using FitBit adjustments. I get about 15k steps/day and do circuit training with light weights 3 times a week, so I changed my activity level to Active on MFP so that my baseline target was a bit higher and my adjustments were not so large and inconsistent. I'm 5'2 and maintaining at 120 with a TDEE of 2200, for what it's worth.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day and exercise but between 300 - 700 calories Some peak days at 1000 very occasionally
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    From intentional exercise... I probably average 300 cals per day, or so. Some days it could be 1000, other days it could be 0.

From just regular life... hard to pin down, but something in the neighborhood of 500 cals per day.

As for the "how I did it" part... I do basically the same things now that I did then... I just eat a little more than I was. Most of the exercise I do is done because I enjoy it. I adjust my diet/intake based on my weight. So the cals out side of the equation has changed very little for me. The cals in side has.
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ashtanga Yoga 90 minutes daily; probably around 300 calories. Yes of course I eat them back - its bloody hard work!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I honestly have no idea. I don't know how accurate the machines are. I compared my stationary bike with my HRM 2 years ago and it was 100% spot on though, so that's about 300-400 a day, plus a 3 miles walk (some uphill) so maybe another 200. Guessing 500-600 is probably what I burn when I go to the gym too (1.5-2h of walking uphill.. machine says 700 to 900). Then some days I end up walking 12 miles or something, sometimes hiking, so it can be more.

Then whatever I burn cooking, running errands etc. So with one rest day a week (which I honestly don't typically take)... probably 600 a day in average or something? I maintain around 2200-2300 (I've been eating closer to 2300 for 2 weeks and my clothes fit the same thankfully).

I'd still be overweight if I didn't exercise frankly. And yeah I exercise way more now than I did when losing overall (mostly I can go faster/longer. I mostly do cardio though, hate weights, although I might pick them up again soon).

I don't eat exercise calories, I just use TDEE-15% or something and don't sweat it (too much) when I go over if there's a special occasion or I'm hungrier and just try to average under 2200 most weeks (losing too much will never be an issue for me).
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Interesting question, I do not even have a answer in my case.

When I started working on losing the weight I was on 1800 calories a day. As I lost weight I added exercise and stayed at 1800 calories. Now at Maintenance I eat a1800 Calories a day of food and either a treat of around 200 calories or a Large Apple or other fruits.

When I started this journey I was not doing anything and had a hard time walking anywhere. Now 2 years and 9 months later I am hitting 10K steps + per day and 3 miles + per day and am doing maintenance. I still weight daily since I do not let daily fluctuations bother me and I still log it in Hard Copy form using a Small Ledger Book :)

I eat Three meals per day, three snack per day and include 12 ounces of vegetables and Three pieces of fruit per day.

FWIW my In expensive FitBit Zip says I have done 9642 steps so far and 1360 calories as of 9AM. I suspect it is overestimating my Calorie burn :)

Bottom line for me is that I use the scale to see how much I can eat to a certain extent.

Have a Good Day and Good Luck
    Roger
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm a little confused by this answer. Is 900 your BMR or BMR+non-exercise activity? Pro-rated to awake hours?

Purposeful exercise gives me 300.
    Being awake & moving around gives me 250 on top of BMR (20%).
    BMR ~ 1240.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I'm a little confused by this answer. Is 900 your BMR or BMR+non-exercise activity? Pro-rated to awake hours?

BMR ~ 1240.

I don't mean to answer for this poster (and I hope she will step in to correct me if I'm wrong), but I think that she means that she has increased her TDEE by about 900 calories by being more active in her daily life instead of laying around watching TV or something. One would not generally qualify this as "exercise" as intended by MFP, but it is probably the best way to increase your overall calorie burn.

I bought my husband a fitbit for Christmas two years ago. He started using it this March, and just aims to get 12,000 steps/day in his normal activity. He has since lost almost 20lbs simply by doing this and nothing else. He doesn't make a point of exercising or monitoring his diet. It just forces him to pay more attention to how much he is moving throughput the day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    For maintainers/former crazy exercisers, how many calories do you 'gain' from your daily exercise and/or just walking about?

Depends.

Depends what I do.

And I'm one who is exercising as much or more in maintenance than I was when I was losing ... because I can.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

BMR ~ 1240.

I don't mean to answer for this poster (and I hope she will step in to correct me if I'm wrong), but I think that she means that she has increased her TDEE by about 900 calories by being more active in her daily life instead of laying around watching TV or something. One would not generally qualify this as "exercise" as intended by MFP, but it is probably the best way to increase your overall calorie burn.

I bought my husband a fitbit for Christmas two years ago. He started using it this March, and just aims to get 12,000 steps/day in his normal activity. He has since lost almost 20lbs simply by doing this and nothing else. He doesn't make a point of exercising or monitoring his diet. It just forces him to pay more attention to how much he is moving throughput the day.

Zyxst specified purposeful exercise separately, and I took that to mean 900 was non-exercise activity. The non-exercise activity increase is nowhere near that for me, hence confusion.

Activity multipliers
    1.2 = sedentary (little or no exercise)
    1.375 = light activity (light exercise/sports 1 to 3 days per week)
    1.55 = moderate activity (moderate exercise/sports 3 to 5 days per week)
    1.725 = very active (hard exercise/sports 6 to 7 days per week)
    1.9 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports 6 to 7 days per week and physical job)

To gain 900cal from activity, one would have to have a high BMR (or at least what seems high to me) and an extreme amount of activity. E.g. at a BMR=1500, going from sedentary to very active <800 cal.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Usually between 950-1,000 extra calories
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

BMR ~ 1240.

Zyxst specified purposeful exercise separately, and I took that to mean 900 was non-exercise activity. The non-exercise activity increase is nowhere near that for me, hence confusion.

Activity multipliers
    1.9 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports 6 to 7 days per week and physical job)

To gain 900cal from activity, one would have to have a high BMR (or at least what seems high to me) and an extreme amount of activity. E.g. at a BMR=1500, going from sedentary to very active <800 cal.

I don't particularly care for the multipliers. Daily tracking is far more accurate.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

BMR ~ 1240.

Activity multipliers

Non-exercise, activity calories are really hard to nail down. For me, I basically did this:

TDEE - BRM - intentional exercise = non-exercise cals. That's a little oversimplified, but given the issues around estimating these things, I figured it was good enough for this conversation.

My TDEE is, on average around 2500 cals, assuming an average of 350 exercise cals. Calculated BMR is around 1650.

2500 - 1650 - 350 = 500.

That's for me. I'm sure that number can vary fairly significantly based on job, lifestyle, etc etc.