Just tell me what to do

Options
Here is everything I can think is important to add - give me your best advice, once I set a plan in place I can certainly stick to it, Im fully motivated and ready just need to know where to go

Hi, I'm Katy - I'm 26 years old.
I'm 5'11 and currently 198 pounds (27.6 BMI)
I was 237 pounds 8 weeks ago when I gave birth to my son
I have strong legs and weak arms (can do lunges all day can't do a push up to save my life)
I also have a 2 year old - and I do not have access to a gym.
I want to lose 40 pounds

Workouts must be done at home, but I can buy some equipment if needed ($200 budget)
I've only ever done cardio, never done any type of weight lifting

I have either 1 straight hour a day (5 days a week) or three separate 20 minute sections (5 days a week)

I have a kettle bell, running shoes, and a yoga mat - but have access to things like milk jugs, or even tractor tires?

Should I go with cardio or try some kind of at home weight program?
Or cardio 3 days a week and weights 2 days a week?

If you suggest weightlifting, please suggest something I can do at home

I will answer any other questions needed and THANK YOU in advance

Replies

• skinnyjeansandstretchmarks
    Options
    And yes, I have got fully cleared to workout - and my diet is in check and 1 gallon of water daily
  • skinnyjeansandstretchmarks
    Options
    Oh, and yes - I do want to lose the weight quickly - thats what I'm looking of advice on - how to lose the 40.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Aim to lose 1lb per week, so set your deficit on MFP, and eat that number of calories.

as for exercise, C25K is good, and google bodyweight exercises for some strength/resistance training... you are your own gym is good.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If your aim is to lose 40 lbs quickly, I would suggest : skip weight lifting for now and focus on cardio as cardio burns a lot more calories and to lose weight , you need to burn more calories :)
  • healthy491
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    If your aim is to lose 40 lbs quickly, I would suggest : skip weight lifting for now and focus on cardio as cardio burns a lot more calories and to lose weight , you need to burn more calories :)

that's bad advice IMO, as resistance/strength training help retain muscle, meaning you look better as you lose weight, instead of just smaller and still squishy.

She can start resistance training after she looses the 40 lbsa
  • TavistockToad
    Options

that's bad advice IMO, as resistance/strength training help retain muscle, meaning you look better as you lose weight, instead of just smaller and still squishy.

of course, but as i said, if you do resistance training as you lose weight, you are more likely to retain muscle, and not look squishy at a lower weight. i don't know many women who don't want to look 'toned' when they have lost weight?
  • healthy491
    Options

of course, but as i said, if you do resistance training as you lose weight, you are more likely to retain muscle, and not look squishy at a lower weight. i don't know many women who don't want to look 'toned' when they have lost weight?

Well yeah , but she implied that her aim is to lose 40 lbs QUICKLY so i think that her primary concern should be burning more calories to lose the weight faster
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Well yeah , but she implied that her aim is to lose 40 lbs QUICKLY so i think that her primary concern should be burning more calories to lose the weight faster

which shouldn't be encouraged as its generally not sustainable!
  • healthy491
    Options

Why not?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    As a reminder, faster isn't always better.

Keep in mind the loose skin that comes with losing weight quickly, as well.

I'd recommend a mixture of cardio and weights. My arms look fabulous now with my bit of muscle tone, much better than my skinny-flab.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Faster is not better. Trying to correct issues associated with fast weight loss using purely cardio is a bigger ball ache than just going slower and strength training from the outset.

I'd recommend Fitness Blender and invest in some adjustable dumbbells. 1lb per week is perfect.

If you are breastfeeding be sure to log it as exercise, there are entries for it (sounds weird but you need the extra calories to ensure milk supply).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Strength training should absolutely be part of your plan. Lots of good things to follow in you are your own gym. Strength & cardio should both be used in a balanced program.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

bad advice. no reason to wait - start lifting now!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Here is everything I can think is important to add - give me your best advice, once I set a plan in place I can certainly stick to it, Im fully motivated and ready just need to know where to go

Hi, I'm Katy - I'm 26 years old.
    I'm 5'11 and currently 198 pounds (27.6 BMI)
    I was 237 pounds 8 weeks ago when I gave birth to my son
    I have strong legs and weak arms (can do lunges all day can't do a push up to save my life)
    I also have a 2 year old - and I do not have access to a gym.
    I want to lose 40 pounds

Workouts must be done at home, but I can buy some equipment if needed ($200 budget)
    I've only ever done cardio, never done any type of weight lifting

I have either 1 straight hour a day (5 days a week) or three separate 20 minute sections (5 days a week)

I have a kettle bell, running shoes, and a yoga mat - but have access to things like milk jugs, or even tractor tires?

Should I go with cardio or try some kind of at home weight program?
    Or cardio 3 days a week and weights 2 days a week?

If you suggest weightlifting, please suggest something I can do at home

I will answer any other questions needed and THANK YOU in advance

You listed a $200 budget and need to exercise at home.

You might check Craigslist and Freecycle for give away treadmills and other equipment. Some people get new equipment especially at Christmas or the new year and give away the old or sell it for almost nothing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Home workouts on a budget are best done with simple, versatile tools and body weight. Grab a sandbag and a cheap TRX clone (called a suspension trainer) and look around for bodyweight exercises and yoga plus sandbag, kettlebells, tire and TRX. If you want to really work your upper body you can grab a sledge hammer and use it on the tire as well. You just have to be creative.

You just have to get creative but you can get a great workout with those items.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Eat to lose weight. Exercise to look good.

Get yourself into a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day. With younguns you probably need to set your activity level one notch above sedentary. That will have you losing about 1 lb per week, with the caveat that women's weight is maddeningly fluctuatious what with ovulation and menstruation and stress and salt and muscle injury from crazy workouts.

Be patient and persistent.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Why not?

When you lose weight quickly and don't do any resistance training/have adequate protein, you increase the chances of more muscle loss. Since muscle is lean, you are actually making it harder to get a lean body, you are decreasing metabolic functions and your body fat level is reducing at a slower pace. People actually want fat loss the majority of the time (exception might be those morbidly obese). Fat loss is where you tend to notice the sweeping changes in the look of your body. Heck, I can show you women have had gained weight that are more lean than at their low weight.

OP, have a moderate deficit like 20% less than maintenance calories, lift some weight, throw in some cadio and eat adequate protein. There are some at home body and/or dumbbell routines in the link below. I would suggest getting on one of the structured programs to give you a solid path. You can also consider some of the books that are linked in there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

thanks for the link! Such great info.

Can you elaborate on the bit about "exception might be those morbidly obese"?

Is this to say that strength training is not the best "start" for losing weight for someone like me, over a hundred pounds?

I have already lost over 50 (not the right way always) and would like to do strength training. With the amount I have to lose would it be best to stick to cardio and then turn to strength training later on?

Any advice is appreciated and taken with a grain of salt! :D
  • wkgoldsmith
    wkgoldsmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Arm strengthening/toning can be made into a game with the baby if you're comfortable doing it. When mine were that age, I would lie on my back with the baby over my chest and bench press them up in the air. You can do as many reps as he's enjoying "flying" but NEVER do this right after his meal--or you'll be wearing it. The baby (and your toddler as you get stronger) get to play a game with you, you build muscle in your arms, you expend calories for the deficit. Result is everyone is happy.