Addicted to Diet Coke!

Options

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    dmspurli wrote: »
    Because artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar. Empty calories leave you craving more junk which ultimately leads to weight gain.

Well no, actually that has never happened, to me or any of my family members.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I would drop your doctor rather than the Diet Coke.
  • s0987
    s0987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I quit Diet Coke when I joined DietBet and I don't miss it. The cravings for it stop (hard to believe at the time) I replaced it with black coffee and way more water. I feel better without it, my stomach feels better and giving it up made it easier to drink more water which is sooo important for the weight loss. Totally worth it for me
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped drinking diet coke after drinking it for 25+ years. You should decide to quit it if YOU want to and not what anyone else thinks. I quit because I was addicted to the caffeine. Also, I hated that it was destroying my teeth. (like most sodas) The way I did it was by weaning myself off of it. It was actually quite painless. I had minimal headaches from the lack of caffeine. It might not have been the healthiest way, but it was the least painful.
    They make these crystal lights packs that flavor water. They have caffeinated kinds. I started with a half a packet that I drank and drank water the rest of the days. I was still getting my caffeine so I wasn't getting headaches. Each week I decreased the packets by half. Lastly, I was using just 1/4 packet and noticed I wasn't even finishing that before switching to water. It was painless and haven't had soda in almost 2 months.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I went from 6+ Diet Cokes a day to nothing ... not because I thought it would impact my weight but because it just made me feel gross. My teeth, my tummy ... and I felt I was actually addicted. I wasn't sure I could quit.

I switched to one sparkling water in the morning for the fizz (preferably black cherry flavored) and then regular water with the occasional Mio flavor squirt. Worked for me!
  • sadiebrook223
    sadiebrook223 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs five years ago and never gave up diet coke. I do have to be careful, though -- if I get mindless about things or stressed out I'll drink 4-5 a day and forgo the water. So I make a conscious effort to have 16 ounces of water between each diet coke.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just got through a weeks long crave phase and it was my diet sodas and my sparkling waters that got me through.

I wanted I guess, mouth sensation and a calorie free fizzy drink totally does the trick.

I'm trying out a fancy tea right now. I just learned that a tea with hot steamed milk (I picked skim) is called a "London Fog". It is flavoured with a sugar free syrup (hazelnut) but even so with the milk this treat will set me back 230 calories. Natural or industrial, calories can getcha anywhere.

My belly gets bigger when I gain weight and goes down when I lose.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I switched to regular coke only occasionally and the flavored cabonated waters (la croix). Diet Coke was giving me headaches. I didn't lose weight instantly or anything magical after giving them up though. But they definitely weren't helping my weight loss.

How can a diet drink that has no calories impact your weight?

Because artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar. Empty calories leave you craving more junk which ultimately leads to weight gain.

Oh goodness no. This is not true at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much soda myself (I do choose diet when I drink it), and I love water, but I still don't understand why water is believed to be so important for weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't drink much soda myself (I do choose diet when I drink it), and I love water, but I still don't understand why water is believed to be so important for weight loss.

magic.gif
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Agreed, being near a bathroom at all times is no fun!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda. I miss it. The acid in it was giving me acid reflux and damaging my gums so I had to (mostly) give it up. But that is just part of my individual physiology at the moment and doesn't apply to everyone. It has been a great weight loss tool for me in the past (simply making the switch from regular to diet caused me to lose 10 pounds without trying, some years back).

I have a PhD in biochemistry and see nothing wrong with aspartame consumption (unless you have phenylketonuria, which most people don't).
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just tried out 10 calorie Big K cola on a whim, and it's actually pretty good. Those 10 calories obviously don't have an impact on my numbers, but I still get to feel like, "oooh, I'm having fun!"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Not so much for actual fat loss but it will help reduce water retention.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I switched to regular coke only occasionally and the flavored cabonated waters (la croix). Diet Coke was giving me headaches. I didn't lose weight instantly or anything magical after giving them up though. But they definitely weren't helping my weight loss.

How can a diet drink that has no calories impact your weight?

No.

I lost 50lbs pounds while drinking diet soda and I've been maintaining the loss for several years now, while still drinking diet soda. I'm in great health as well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Like lots and lots of extra water, as some seem to think is beneficial? Or just being adequately hydrated, which I refuse to believe is an actual problem for humans with adequate access to non contaminated liquids?

Anyway, I would think that fat loss was really the issue. I don't find that drinking extra water or only water affects my water retention (which has never been an issue). Maybe if someone eats a high sodium diet, though, I dunno.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Like lots and lots of extra water, as some seem to think is beneficial? Or just being adequately hydrated, which I refuse to believe is an actual problem for humans with adequate access to non contaminated liquids?

Anyway, I would think that fat loss was really the issue. I don't find that drinking extra water or only water affects my water retention (which has never been an issue). Maybe if someone eats a high sodium diet, though, I dunno.

Oh, the hype of drinking a gallon or so a day is way overblown but water cuts are well known in sports and bodybuilding competitions, as well as upping potassium and lowering sodium intake. I think the water helps flush out sodium and thus reduces water retention in the body but their are limits and too much water without sodium intake is actually dangerous. I believe low carb diets also need more water as well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Oh, the hype of drinking a gallon or so a day is way overblown but water cuts are well known in sports and bodybuilding competitions, as well as upping potassium and lowering sodium intake. I think the water helps flush out sodium and thus reduces water retention in the body but their are limits and too much water without sodium intake is actually dangerous. I believe low carb diets also need more water as well.

Okay, that makes sense. I was more responding to the former, or the idea that it's so important to dieting to work on drinking more water.