Powerlifters!

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Powerlifters grunt and brag about lifting heavy things, thats what we do.

Indeed but I didn't know that common sense and reading comprehension was lost to those who advocate powerlifting regardless of the risks.
    You seem mad?

Not mad. Just think I've been misunderstood and what I said was incorrectly characterized.

Nothing I said about my personal choice in limiting the amount I want to lift has anything to do with what anyone else wants to do. Too each his or her own. I was only expressing my personal point of view about how much I want to lift.

To restate what was earlier ignored and to try to end this "discussion" on a positive note::

I admire and respect powerlifters and what they can do, which is more than I can and care to try to do. That's why I regularly visit powerlifting events, as I am going to do this coming weekend.

EOM. Ciao!
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. Great info from all. What about eating? Im on the low side of calories now should i up that? Also what about supplements i only take a multivitamin right now.

Unlike body builders you can eat pretty much what ever you want. Pick a weight you are comfortable lifting in. That is your weight classes. Stay with in 5 to 10lbs of that. Here is what will happen. You will weigh in before the meet. Sometimes it's the night before. Sometimes it's that morning. You can drop 5 lbs in water weight. As for supplements creatine will help you lift heavy. You will need a good wide 10mm belt a squat suit bench shirt knee wraps some people get lifting shoes. Like everyone is saying I would go check our a meet see how you like it. Ask all kinds of questions there. Everyone will be glad to help you. Check out all the different Federations see which one you like the best and which one has meets close.I would just start training see if that is for you.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    Ok thanks everyone. Great info from all. What about eating? Im on the low side of calories now should i up that? Also what about supplements i only take a multivitamin right now.

Unlike body builders you can eat pretty much what ever you want. Pick a weight you are comfortable lifting in. That is your weight classes. Stay with in 5 to 10lbs of that. Here is what will happen. You will weigh in before the meet. Sometimes it's the night before. Sometimes it's that morning. You can drop 5 lbs in water weight. As for supplements creatine will help you lift heavy. You will need a good wide 10mm belt a squat suit bench shirt knee wraps some people get lifting shoes. Like everyone is saying I would go check our a meet see how you like it. Ask all kinds of questions there. Everyone will be glad to help you. Check out all the different Federations see which one you like the best and which one has meets close.I would just start training see if that is for you.

Please don't buy a squat suit, bench shirt, or knee wraps, OP. That stuff is way too expensive for a sport you may not even stick with, not to mention, you can lift in raw divisions. A quality belt, wrist wraps, and some knee sleeves are a good recommendation, but not necessary.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Please don't buy a squat suit, bench shirt, or knee wraps, OP. That stuff is way too expensive for a sport you may not even stick with, not to mention, you can lift in raw divisions. A quality belt, wrist wraps, and some knee sleeves are a good recommendation, but not necessary.

You said it far nicer than I was about to. I'd say about 75% of brand new lifters I see come in with chucks and a singlet.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You don't need supplements. Just sleep, food, and consistency. And a little less sexism. Quite uncalled for considering your very vague title. Also, no way in hell you're 18%. If you think you're too heavy. Cut. If you feel like you could gain more weight. Bulk. Your calories are dependent on which route you choose. It's not that difficult man.
  • Nodaysoff86
    Nodaysoff86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You don't need supplements. Just sleep, food, and consistency. And a little less sexism. Quite uncalled for considering your very vague title. Also, no way in hell you're 18%. If you think you're too heavy. Cut. If you feel like you could gain more weight. Bulk. Your calories are dependent on which route you choose. It's not that difficult man.

Take it easy tough guy
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The most important decision you will make in the gym is: natty or not.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I thought it was spot or not. ;)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I thought it was high bar or low bar squats :D

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

We don't go there! :lol:
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Because the answer is always low bar
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Because the answer is always low bar

And you went there. ;)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Its actually Sumo or Conventional...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Let's not forget about semi-sumo! :D
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Yea you are right and I put this stuff in because it is stuff you should know about. I haven't competed in over 20 years now. I did compete for 10 years and set several state squat records in different weight classes. I lifted with NASA Federation. It is an all natural Federation and Rich will test you if he thinks you are on steroids. They also have a non supported class. This would be my recommendation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Jefferson
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Jefferson

That's like the red headed step child
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot my favourite PL site: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/ it has a lot of information that you should find very helpful.

^ This site is underrated IMO. TONS of great info here ^
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When you first start out in powerlifting I would make the following very generalized statements:

1) Typically I wouldn't worry about making it into a specific weight class for your first meet and maybe even your first season (after the first meet I think it really depends on the person).

2) For the majority of people I think it's best to let the body composition/body weight goals exist independently of the weight class divisions. For example if someone is overweight then they probably are (or probably should) be focused on reducing their weight for health reasons. And so while I wouldn't want them to cut to make weight, I'd want them to cut because it's the right goal to have given their body composition.

And so it's still fine to diet during contest prep, just don't do it for purposes of an arbitrary weight cut off.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Just go binge watch Chad Wesley Smith, max aita, Mark bell, silent mike, massthetics, and Alan thrall.

+1