Powerlifters!

Options
Hey, i wanna get into powerlifting, im 6'2 270 im not fat by any means, i have a high bf of probably 18%. Ive lost nearly 17 to 20 pounds, im not looking for a a slim build, im look to be a stronger faster me. I wanna be strongman ready, any powerlifters/strongman in here? Please give me tips, should i keep cutting or start to build? Also what supplements to take for mass gain? Thanks to anybody who can help.

Replies

• Nodaysoff86
    Nodaysoff86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does anybody reply on this site? Unless your a woman i dont think so.. Lmfao...
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, there's a whole lot you left out.
    Age, goals, current program, etc.
    Jump over to this thread and you'll see most of the dedicated powerlifters:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10315462/squat-bench-deadlift-snatch-c-j-post-your-best-videos/p1

Or, if you're interested, there's a dedicated site I belong to:
    http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/

Mostly powerlifters, some ranked. Warning though, we're fairly direct but give honest feedback.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started is to find your closest powerlifting gym or group and hook up with them. Go watch some meets, and see what its all about. Its a great sport, i absolutely love it. If you dont have a PL group nearby, you can train yourself, but its easier and generally better if you have a coach or handler. Look into some of the PL lifting programs, i am partial to conjugate style, Westside. Get on a good PL program and start eating. I supplement with protein, creatine, bcaa's , and multi vitamins .
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    At 18% bodyfat you don't want to be gaining weight really as you're not in the optimal position to do so. What are you best bench/squat/deadlift weights?
  • Nodaysoff86
    Nodaysoff86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the answer, also i was only stating that woman get replies on mfp. It was a joke :) To answer the question that was asked about goals! Well my age is 29 almost 30 in 5 days :( i really just wanna get stronger lifts and build a bigger me. Also would love to get into the sport of it and compete, later down the road. My doctor said my bf wasnt to high because of my size, plus i lost alot of weight already. Im not big by any means weight wise. Ive been doing a 5x5 routine plus alot of cardio as of now. I can see changes already just wanted more info. Thanks too all.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the answer, also i was only stating that woman get replies on mfp. It was a joke :) To answer the question that was asked about goals! Well my age is 29 almost 30 in 5 days :( i really just wanna get stronger lifts and build a bigger me. Also would love to get into the sport of it and compete, later down the road. My doctor said my bf wasnt to high because of my size, plus i lost alot of weight already. Im not big by any means weight wise. Ive been doing a 5x5 routine plus alot of cardio as of now. I can see changes already just wanted more info. Thanks too all.

Bodyfat is a percentage of your total weight so it doesn't matter how big you are.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    18% BF? How are you measuring that? You are likely closer to 28% than 18%, at your height and weight but it really doesn't matter for powerlifting (BTW Trigden is 6'3 240 and 16% and Chieflrg is 6'3 212 and around the same BF% just so you can see you aren't sub 20% yet).

I would take Sonya's advice and find a good hardcore gym that has a good powerlifting program and/or club and see how you like it. It's a great culture and very friendly for the most part and being around experienced lifters will really help you get an idea of how to lift and program correctly. 5x5 is not a powerlifting program so you'll need to find a better program geared to your level and a good gym should have coaching available that can give you a custom program.

Keep up the good work, just remember that it's going to suck a bit till you get down to the weight you want since lifting in a deficit is really hard. Enjoy the sport, it's a good one!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Well, there's a whole lot you left out.
    Age, goals, current program, etc.
    Jump over to this thread and you'll see most of the dedicated powerlifters:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10315462/squat-bench-deadlift-snatch-c-j-post-your-best-videos/p1

Or, if you're interested, there's a dedicated site I belong to:
    http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/

Mostly powerlifters, some ranked. Warning though, we're fairly direct but give honest feedback.

I would also add http://muscleandbrawn.com/ because I'm a fan of Steve Shaw.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't leave the 5x5 programs until you were struggling with the weight. they are designed to bring you up to a point where your body is ready for a more advanced plan.

I lifted on and off for years never really made any significant forward progress. now on the stronglifts program I'm progresssing on all lifts. slowly now but still progressing. when I get to the point where I'm going no further then I'll switch but until then these types of programs have been so successful for so many that I'm not willing to give it up.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    At the local commercial gym, I started working with the powerlifting trainer. She fixed my bench and nagging shoulder pain in 2 weeks (after 2 years worth of issues). She also switched me from 5/3/1 to a 3x8 set/rep scheme (on both bench and squat). Both lifts have gone up quickly. I should have gotten professional help sooner than going it alone. Help is out there, you just have to look for it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Oh, forgot my favourite PL site: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/ it has a lot of information that you should find very helpful.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting isn't about being cut or shredded. You lift by weight classes so you didn't have to worry about % of body fat. You have 3 lifts Squat Bench and Deadlifts. You work on them twice a week except DL. that's once a week. You do one heavy day and one light day. We use to use excel programs to set up our max but now you can find max lift calculators.
    A squats day will look like this.
    155x10
    185x8
    215x6
    240x4
    250x3
    265x2
    215x6
    Ext 3 sets of 8
    Ham Curls 3 sets of 8
    That would be a heavy day
    Stop all running that takes away from your squats.
    You don't train anything like body builders. Not a whole lot of exercises. Bench is bench press and incline press and some shoulder presses.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    Powerlifting isn't about being cut or shredded. You lift by weight classes so you didn't have to worry about % of body fat. You have 3 lifts Squat Bench and Deadlifts. You work on them twice a week except DL. that's once a week. You do one heavy day and one light day. We use to use excel programs to set up our max but now you can find max lift calculators.
    155x10
    185x8
    215x6
    240x4
    250x3
    265x2
    215x6
    Ext 3 sets of 8
    Ham Curls 3 sets of 8
    You don't train anything like body builders. Not a whole lot of exercises. Bench is bench press and incline press and some shoulder presses.

Yes, totally applicable in ALL instances... smh.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    155x10
    185x8
    215x6
    240x4
    250x3
    265x2
    215x6
    Ext 3 sets of 8
    Ham Curls 3 sets of 8

Are you still doing DUP?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    155x10
    185x8
    215x6
    240x4
    250x3
    265x2
    215x6
    Ext 3 sets of 8
    Ham Curls 3 sets of 8

Are you still doing DUP?

No, 5/3/1 currently.

Got hurt, so trying to work my way back :(
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Strongman is a whole different animal than powerlifting. There's a little crossover, but we have a couple people at our gym that will compete in both. When they train for one type of meet, it takes over nearly completely, so the other side suffers. There's specialized equipment, so you'll need to make sure you (or your gym) have it to train properly.

I agree with lsutton - for now, keep on the 5x5 program, assuming you're still progressing with it - and like it, of course. Another good resource is the ETP Group here. There's a good form check thread there, where you'll get really good feedback, without having to weed through the potentially bad (I've seen it) advice from the main forums.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    155x10
    185x8
    215x6
    240x4
    250x3
    265x2
    215x6
    Ext 3 sets of 8
    Ham Curls 3 sets of 8

Are you still doing DUP?

No, 5/3/1 currently.

Got hurt, so trying to work my way back :(

I understand that! I've still got that damn rotator cuff issue but it's getting better. Hope you heal fast!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Strongman is a whole different animal than powerlifting. There's a little crossover, but we have a couple people at our gym that will compete in both. When they train for one type of meet, it takes over nearly completely, so the other side suffers. There's specialized equipment, so you'll need to make sure you (or your gym) have it to train properly.

I agree with lsutton - for now, keep on the 5x5 program, assuming you're still progressing with it - and like it, of course. Another good resource is the ETP Group here. There's a good form check thread there, where you'll get really good feedback, without having to weed through the potentially bad (I've seen it) advice from the main forums.

Strongman is much more fun IMO, but since there aren't any weight classes I'm just not going to do very well. Many of the guys that do strongman that I know also do Highland Games and who doesn't like tossing a telephone pole!
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hit me up for any info. I've read it all.