Powerlifters!

Options

Replies

• grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would check out T Nation they have a lot of great articles on both Powerlifting and Strongman training
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    I would check out T Nation they have a lot of great articles on both Powerlifting and Strongman training

T nation is generally awful for information.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

T nation is generally awful for information.

+1 there are a lot better places. T Nation is more of a body building site as well and despite having some reputable authors it's hit or miss on the value of the information.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just go binge watch Chad Wesley Smith, max aita, Mark bell, silent mike, massthetics, and Alan thrall.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Just go binge watch Chad Wesley Smith, max aita, Mark bell, silent mike, massthetics, and Alan thrall.

Or Muscle Massochist if you want to see how to kill yourself with an iron overdose? ;)

• Nodaysoff86
    Nodaysoff86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey, mfp peeps thanks for all the posts. I've been doing some reading, im just confused if i should cut down more or start building now. I dont mind putting on a couple of pounds as long as i get results in the process. Thanks.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" to cut but it might be beneficial.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    whether or not you cut or bulk is a purely personal decision. Powerlifting isn't about aesthetics or BF%, its about your 1 rep max. Since you are just starting out, i'd suggest you go find a PL lifting gym, start learning the techniques, the training, etc and see how it all feels. Find your current 1rm on your 3 lifts, and figure out your goals from there. when you cut you lose strength, when you bulk you gain strength. My goal is always to try and be the strongest i can while still a weight i feel good. Some guys like to be as big as they can and all time squash records. Some people like to squash weight class records, some people dont care about records and just wanna squash their own PR's in any weight class or a specific weight class. Its all just whatever you want do.
    first thing with PL is learn the form and techniques and training and rules, In the beginning that is more important than your weight. thats my opinion
  • Nodaysoff86
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. Great info from all. What about eating? Im on the low side of calories now should i up that? Also what about supplements i only take a multivitamin right now.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I'd say for your first meet, don't even focus on your body weight. If you're 270lbs, you'll most likely be competing in heavyweight division of most powerlifting federations. I think the popular federation of MFP is the IPF (USAPL if you're in the states). As stated, go to a meet, see how you like it, get your lifter's card, find a meet, train for the meet, and go compete.

A lot of people recommend finding a PL gym and even a coach or at least people with similar goals. I can attest that you can be successful without doing either of those. Their advice is solid, and if I had those options, I would. The problem is, the sport is just not big enough in my area to necessitate a need for a gym like that and local coaches.

Find a way to train squat, bench, and deadlift. Read the rules of the federation you think you want to compete in. Practice those lifts using the guideline set by your chosen federation and compete! It's pretty simple.

My first meet was in February. My first total for the three lifts was 1278lbs. My last meet was in mid July and I lifted 1328lbs total. My next meet is December 10th and I'm tracking for 1450+lbs. That's close to 200lbs of added weight in less than a year (if my meet goes as planned). I'm not saying all of that to brag, I'm saying it to mean that I've found something to push myself to be stronger. Powerlifting is a great sport!! I hope you'll try it out.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. Great info from all. What about eating? Im on the low side of calories now should i up that? Also what about supplements i only take a multivitamin right now.

Again, this will be dependent upon your goals and how long you've been lifting. If you're new to lifting, you'll likely still see strength gains while cutting. I'd recommend eating at maintenance and focus on the lifts revolving around powerlifting initially. Then you can compete, see what you think and reassess goals from there (just my two cents).
  • Nodaysoff86
    Options
    Ok thanks.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting isn't about being cut or shredded. You lift by weight classes so you didn't have to worry about % of body fat. You have 3 lifts Squat Bench and Deadlifts. You work on them twice a week except DL. that's once a week. You do one heavy day and one light day. We use to use excel programs to set up our max but now you can find max lift calculators.
    A squats day will look like this.
    155x10
    185x8
    215x6
    240x4
    250x3
    265x2
    215x6
    Ext 3 sets of 8
    Ham Curls 3 sets of 8
    That would be a heavy day
    Stop all running that takes away from your squats.
    You don't train anything like body builders. Not a whole lot of exercises. Bench is bench press and incline press and some shoulder presses.

Good thing I'm just a bencher or I'd have been doing it wrong all along.

As far as weight, if you want to lose weight for health and/or aesthetic reasons, it's all good. I know quite a few masters athletes who are cutting down at least a weight class for health reasons. As someone told me, there is a reason you tend not to see any masters 3+ shw, and that's because they are simply not around anymore.

But I wouldn't cut weight just for a meet, especially not one of your first ones. Unless and until you are competitive on a higher level, honestly why put your body through the stress of a short term weight cut?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't aspire to be a powerlifter - too old, don't want to gain weight or get hurt trying to lift too much (again) and don't have the genetics for it. . .

BUT I love watching powerlifters lift and am going to a local match this weekend to do just that. :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    rubbish, you're never too old. anyone, any shape, any age , any size can powerlift. and powerlifting doesn't make you gain weight and its very safe when done correctly. in fact i get hurt way less in day to day life since i've been powerlifting.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

I didn't say that powerlifting "makes you fat." But, it is well known and accepted that, in order to lift more you need to gain weight and I don't want to do that, especially after just losing 30+ lbs and currently being at a weight that I like best in terms of my strength and appearance.

I'm 66 years old, 5'8" and 164#. My current PRs are above (or close to) an Elite level according to Killustrated charts based on my age and sex. I can squat 240 (10# less than Elite), DL 300, BP 195 and OPH 125. Look it up.

These are quite satisfactory levels of strength for ME. Doesn't mean that other men my age and size might not aspire to do more but that's not for me.

I have been seriously hurt lifting before -- lifting less weight than I am now which suggests that poor form was the reason. However, I don't want to hurt myself again.

All you need to do is scan any lifting forum to read the stories about people (mainly men) who get hurt lifting more and more weight for no good reason other than ego, which was simple due to trying to lift too much weight - not bad form.

That's not what I care to do.

This is a personal choice that deserves to be respected given my current state of strength and fitness, as I respect the right of any person to set goals that make sense for him or her.

So, do me (and others) a favor and put a sock in the macho lifting BS. Thank-you.

• _incogNEATo_
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    rubbish, you're never too old. anyone, any shape, any age , any size can powerlift. and powerlifting doesn't make you gain weight and its very safe when done correctly. in fact i get hurt way less in day to day life since i've been powerlifting.

I didn't say that powerlifting "makes you fat." But, it is well known and accepted that, in order to lift more you need to gain weight and I don't want to do that, especially after just losing 30+ lbs and currently being at a weight that I like best in terms of my strength and appearance.

I'm 66 years old, 5'8" and 164#. My current PRs are above (or close to) an Elite level according to Killustrated charts based on my age and sex. I can squat 240 (10# less than Elite), DL 300, BP 195 and OPH 125. Look it up.

These are quite satisfactory levels of strength for ME. Doesn't mean that other men my age and size might not aspire to do more but that's not for me.

I have been seriously hurt lifting before -- lifting less weight than I am now which suggests that poor form was the reason. However, I don't want to hurt myself again.

All you need to do is scan any lifting forum to read the stories about people (mainly men) who get hurt lifting more and more weight for no good reason other than ego, which was simple due to trying to lift too much weight - not bad form.

This is a personal choice that deserves to be respected given my current state of strength and fitness, as I respect the right of any person to set goals that make sense for him or her.

So, do me (and others) a favor and put a sock in the macho lifting BS. Thank-you.

Your initial vague post would lead MANY to believe that you were in fact saying:

1.) There is an age limit on powerlifting
    2.) One would have to gain weight to be a powerlifter
    3.) One would get hurt trying to lift "too much"
    4.) One has to have a certain genetic makeup to be a successful powerlifter

You're far too defensive as well if I'm being honest. I think her response was geared more towards that thought process and not you individually. I shouldn't speak for her, but that's how I took it.

I'd also like to add that nothing about her post sounded like "macho lifting BS." You seem mad?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Again, this will be dependent upon your goals and how long you've been lifting. If you're new to lifting, you'll likely still see strength gains while cutting. I'd recommend eating at maintenance and focus on the lifts revolving around powerlifting initially. Then you can compete, see what you think and reassess goals from there (just my two cents).

+1 powerlifters don't worry too much about cutting till they are ready to compete. That doesn't mean go crazy and get bulky but you need to find a good weight range to maximize your strength to weight ratio.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2016
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I can understand not wanting to get hurt but you can still compete for the fun of it if you enjoy it. I'm not going to blaze any new trails, my PR's are elite for my stats but I'm now thinking I might be at my limit due to injuries as well. Of course, to each their own and I'm set to jump from powerlifting seriously to lightening up and training for boxing and Muay Tai so I certainly can understand how our priorities change. I might still compete just for the fun of it though. :)